FutureLearn Proto - first stab

ViplavBaxi

Dec 10, 2010, 2:20:28 PM12/10/10
to Learning Technology Innovation
Hi All,

I tried to put together a possible structure (similar to crunchbase,
but with a focus on the innovation part) with workflows. Please ignore
the site look and feel, which is a pretty crude ( :) ) replica of
crunchbase for now. I would love comments on the fields captured in
the new innovation and new company pages.

http://atelierlearning.com/futurelearn/

Regards,
Viplav

Richard Olsen

Dec 10, 2010, 4:09:08 PM12/10/10
to Learning Technology Innovation
Hi Viplav,

Looks good.

I've been working on this as well, maybe we should get together
somehow? I've been using wordpress, the advantage of using wordpress
(or similar) is that it gives pretty urls, rss, comments, spam
filtering, an api, categories and other good stuff out of the box.
Having said that I'm a big fan on YUI templates which you are using.

I like how you've used products/innovations, I think products are the
way to go. Also we need to define the backend relationships between
companies, people and products. Can a company have more than one
product? You have this and I agree. Does a product have to have a
company or can it owned by a person? Love to hear thoughts on this. Do
we want to keep a database of people, personally I think this would be
useful.

About the fields, I'm tempted to keep them simple. Company/product
contact and online details (url, email, twitter, location) are needed,
also we probably want screenshots and logos. While other information
like audience, features, customers and uses might be better served by
using more generic categories (which are then searchable and
aggregated). Other information could be then added to the description.

Also, are we separating the company/products facts from opinions? I
like how techcrunch and crunchbase do this. If so, I'd prefer not to
have comments in the crunchbase part? Do the crunchbase entries need
to be wiki style and editable by anyone?

Thanks for sharing this,
Richard

ViplavBaxi

Dec 10, 2010, 9:02:27 PM12/10/10
to Learning Technology Innovation
Thanks, Richard! Comments inline.

> Looks good.
>
> I've been working on this as well, maybe we should get together
> somehow? I've been using wordpress, the advantage of using wordpress
> (or similar) is that it gives pretty urls, rss, comments, spam
> filtering, an api, categories and other good stuff out of the box.
> Having said that I'm a big fan on YUI templates which you are using.

Thanks. I would love to see what your are doing as well. Want to get
the structure correct as much as we can for the initial few weeks.
Then we can keep on evolving based on feedback. I am open to using
wordpress too. I have identified Zend as the platform for development
as of now.

> I like how you've used products/innovations, I think products are the
> way to go. Also we need to define the backend relationships between
> companies, people and products. Can a company have more than one
> product? You have this and I agree. Does a product have to have a
> company or can it owned by a person? Love to hear thoughts on this. Do
> we want to keep a database of people, personally I think this would be
> useful.

I agree. Products are the way to go. I think an innovation may spring
from anywhere so I should loosely couple the company->innovation
linkage. I think having a people database is essential.

> About the fields, I'm tempted to keep them simple. Company/product
> contact and online details (url, email, twitter, location) are needed,
> also we probably want screenshots and logos. While other information
> like audience, features, customers and uses might be better served by
> using more generic categories (which are then searchable and
> aggregated). Other information could be then added to the description.

Great. We will need to go form by form, field by field and propose to
this group the various options.

> Also, are we separating the company/products facts from opinions? I
> like how techcrunch and crunchbase do this. If so, I'd prefer not to
> have comments in the crunchbase part? Do the crunchbase entries need
> to be wiki style and editable by anyone?

Yes. We will need to separate the two. I made the opinions a
combination of an analysis, rank and potential uses rather than a
simple comment box. I was thinking that essentially each user needs to
be coerced a bit into supplying structured comments. These comments
either bring new insightful analytics or respond to an analytical
insight (in fact I think we should break down the insights into
separate boxes that can be rated, merged etc by a curator/editor).
This way we can aggregate in a useful manner, maybe even take common
analytical points across innovations together for a particular
category of innovations etc.

> Thanks for sharing this,
> Richard

Thanks again for your responses!

> On Dec 11, 6:20 am, ViplavBaxi <baxi.vip...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Hi All,
>
> > I tried to put together a possible structure (similar to crunchbase,
> > but with a focus on the innovation part) with workflows. Please ignore
> > the site look and feel, which is a pretty crude ( :) ) replica of
> > crunchbase for now. I would love comments on  the fields captured in
> > the new innovation and new company pages.
>
> >http://atelierlearning.com/futurelearn/
>
> > Regards,
> > Viplav- Hide quoted text -

ViplavBaxi

Dec 13, 2010, 9:58:47 AM12/13/10
to Learning Technology Innovation
Hi Richard,
.
George likes the site structure and content structure as well. We
should start with Wordpress. Time to get together I guess on weaving
our efforts together? Shall we set up a time to get together? I am in
the India timezone.

Anyone else interested in a working session, please feel free to chime
in!

Regards,
Viplav

Richard Olsen

Dec 13, 2010, 4:57:07 PM12/13/10
to Learning Technology Innovation
Hi Viplav,

Sounds good, I'm +11 (Melbourne, Australia)

Richard

ViplavBaxi

Dec 13, 2010, 9:54:14 PM12/13/10
to Learning Technology Innovation
Hi Everyone,

We have to coordinate between US/Canada MST, Australia and India. The
best time would be early morning India which would be afternoon in
Melbourne and the previous day evening in MST. For example: 7.30 AM
India is 7 PM (previous day) MST and 1 PM EDT (same day).

Please suggest a date this week when you would be available. The only
morning I am unavailable is Saturday this week. I can set up a webex
or gotomeeting and we can skype (my ID: viplavbaxi).

Regards,
Viplav

On Dec 14, 2:57 am, Richard Olsen <olsen.richar...@edumail.vic.gov.au>

George Siemens

Dec 15, 2010, 4:34:49 PM12/15/10
to learning-techno...@googlegroups.com
Hi Viplav, Richard, others:

A doodle invite on possible dates to discuss the next stages of the futurelearn site: http://doodle.com/cynir3cqyrv4qpdz

I can set up an elluminate session once we set a date/time.

George

ViplavBaxi

Dec 15, 2010, 10:38:24 PM12/15/10
to Learning Technology Innovation
Hi George,

That's well past midnight my time on all 3 days. Could we do something
around 6/7 PM MST instead?

If that is not possible, I can always catch up on the recording.

Regards,
Viplav

George Siemens

Dec 17, 2010, 5:31:50 PM12/17/10
to learning-techno...@googlegroups.com
Hi Viplav, updated doodle: http://doodle.com/42qr5wep2x7sceif

Richard, Edgar, can you please have a look if the updated times work for you?

George

ViplavBaxi

Dec 17, 2010, 10:34:57 PM12/17/10
to Learning Technology Innovation
Thanks, George! Look forward to meeting with you all.

Regards,
Viplav

Nicola

Dec 21, 2010, 1:56:32 PM12/21/10
to Learning Technology Innovation
Hi Viplav, on your companies tab, I don't if of interest but
OpenKnowledge have just launched a new site OpenCorporates
http://opencorporates.com/, don't know if there are any connections
with there that could be explored too

Nicola

Nicola

Dec 21, 2010, 2:11:34 PM12/21/10
to Learning Technology Innovation
Sorry, one more thing - if I was visiting the site and curious based
on the innovations seen, but has no clue at all about where to start
with an innovation, just has that second thought of an idea, is there
anything we can add that would help them - such as interview with
entrepreneurs (I realise this doesn't fit into the news posting bit),
what are the first things you need to look at, key references of
information etc

Nicola

ViplavBaxi

Dec 21, 2010, 9:43:48 PM12/21/10
to Learning Technology Innovation
Thanks, Nicola. This could be one source of company information.

On Dec 21, 11:56 pm, Nicola <nicola.av...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Viplav, on your companies tab, I don't if of interest but
> OpenKnowledge have just launched a new site OpenCorporateshttp://opencorporates.com/, don't know if there are any connections

ViplavBaxi

Dec 21, 2010, 9:45:25 PM12/21/10
to Learning Technology Innovation
Nicola, that is an interesting thought. Let us take it to the group
and see if we want to work at building some generic innovation models
and/or processes for such guidance. I would be interested in that.
Viplav

Nicola

Dec 24, 2010, 1:23:28 AM12/24/10
to Learning Technology Innovation
Hi forgot to say, saw this the other day incase of any interest
http://www.cssreflex.com/2010/12/15-best-free-wordpress-theme-of-the-year-2010.html
Nicola

Nicola

Jan 5, 2011, 11:10:46 AM1/5/11
to Learning Technology Innovation
And also just come across this again, if of interest
http://www.formstack.com/the-anatomy-of-a-perfect-landing-page

On Dec 24 2010, 6:23 am, Nicola <nicola.av...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi forgot to say, saw this the other day incase of any interesthttp://www.cssreflex.com/2010/12/15-best-free-wordpress-theme-of-the-...

Nicola