Contribution to this group

Marc Frencken

Oct 24, 2010, 6:35:36 AM10/24/10
to Learning Technology Innovation
Hello gentlemen,

I've indicated that I would like to contribute to this initiative.
Getting an overview of learning tech innovation might help reducing
the total of research into the same topic, knowing there are people
that allready started doing it.
I would like to have a clear defenition of what is included in
'Learning Technology Innovation'.
The reason is that I think I'm quite good at locating new e-learning
initiatives, but they are not allways using competely new technology.
Most of them use applications in combination with others, and by doing
so these initiatives try to make the implementation of the e-learning
innovation easier for people involved in the process.
What I see is the use of for example OpenSim to orchestrate
roleplaying in Second Life. The fact that it is done might be
interesting, but it's old technology.

I hope I make myself clear, and I'm curious to what you think about
this.

If Learning Tech Innovation intents to create a longlist of
educational applications using Information and Communication
Technology, I hope there is a certain standard (to be created) for
there is lots of stuff that doesn't match the point of view that
learning may be non-linear, may be completely student centered etc.
Sometimes using IT means only flattening folio into digital files. So,
some moderation may be necessary...;-)

Regards

Marc

Marc Frencken
member of Surf SIG Serious Gaming and Virtual Worlds
owner at InnoCrator Teach_Game
Teacher/writer in/for vocational education of contruction technique

www.innocrator.com
ma...@innocrator.com

ViplavBaxi

Oct 24, 2010, 10:45:08 PM10/24/10
to Learning Technology Innovation
I would like to investigate if we can first define a framework for
what can be deemed as innovative. It needs to be easily understood and
commonly accepted. It needs to be dynamic since the pace of change is
high. I would love to include those innovative technologies that may
have an impact (possible learning technology innovations discussions)
- for example, we take foursquare and ask the group how could it be
used to innovate in learning or, take a role play and ask the group
how it could be facilitated by technological innovations.

George, do you think a Wiki would be a better option than a group?

Viplav
> m...@innocrator.com

George Siemens

Oct 24, 2010, 11:05:58 PM10/24/10
to learning-techno...@googlegroups.com
Hi Viplav, personally, I'm fine with email discussion. However, if anyone wants to set up a wiki, that would be fine.

My goals for the discussion are:

1. Do we want to set up a news site (sort of like techcrunch) developed to educational/learning technology innovations?

2. If yes, what type of software? What type of functionality? Who contributes? What's the workflow/submission approval process? If no, well, we're done here!

George

Atul Sabnis

Oct 24, 2010, 11:43:21 PM10/24/10
to Learning Technology Innovation
Hello George,

I'd go for a 'tech-crunchy' kind of site. A multi-user WordPress
platform would work well, to start with. And the usual connections to
social network platforms to allow us to receive ideas and broadcast
what we publish.

We could invite the world to make contributions/give a tip-off, and
have a few editors/curators who publish the innovations. Where
possible, and where relevant we could get in interviews of folks who
are creating these innovations. Periodically, we could have editorials
about the happenings in this space.

Like folks above have commented, it would be good idea for us to agree
on what we deem as innovative so that we have a focus on what we
curate and publish.

Best,

Atul Sabnis

On Oct 25, 8:05 am, George Siemens <gsiem...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Viplav, personally, I'm fine with email discussion. However, if anyone
> wants to set up a wiki, that would be fine.
>
> My goals for the discussion are:
>
> 1. Do we want to set up a news site (sort of like techcrunch) developed to
> educational/learning technology innovations?
>
> 2. If yes, what type of software? What type of functionality? Who
> contributes? What's the workflow/submission approval process? If no, well,
> we're done here!
>
> George

George Siemens

Oct 25, 2010, 11:00:57 AM10/25/10
to learning-techno...@googlegroups.com
Hi Atul - I'm not too concerned about defining innovation. If a tool is new, serves some useful task, I'd be fine posting it...and letting the community/network filter "what is innovative" through discussions.

George

DolorsCapdet

Oct 25, 2010, 4:53:13 PM10/25/10
to Learning Technology Innovation
I really interested in artificial intelligence-based projects, such as

v=5i3xbitEVfs&amp;feature=player_embedded">VisMaster</a>, a European
project, whose goal is to make of the visual analytics a fundamental
tool in the service of scientific discovery in areas that require
exploration and analysis of vast and complex sets of data that can not
be met either by the humans nor by computers separately.

Reasoning</a> (CBR) system that adapts the skills involved in the
efficient resolution of previous cases to make a quick prototyping and
adaptive incremental development of the current problem that allows
one or several hypotheses proposed as a possible solution.

instituciones-electronicas">
Development Environments Electronic Institutions </a>(EIDE), based on
the creation of human-like scenarios in which intelligent agents
involved with different roles to achieve both individual objectives of
the organization.

On 25 oct, 05:05, George Siemens <gsiem...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> contribuye? ¿Cuál es el flujo de trabajo / proceso de aprobación de presentación? Si no, bueno,
> estamos haciendo aquí!
>
> George
>
> El domingo, 24 de octubre 2010 a las 8:45 PM, ViplavBaxi baxi.vip <...> @ Gmail.com escribió:
> > Me gustaría investigar si primero se puede definir un marco para
> > Lo que puede considerarse como un innovador. Tiene que ser fácil de entender y
> > Comúnmente aceptadas. Tiene que ser dinámico ya que el ritmo de cambio es
> > Alta. Me encantaría incluir las tecnologías innovadoras que puedan
> > Tener un impacto (de aprendizaje posibles innovaciones tecnológicas debates)
> > - Por ejemplo, tomamos cuadrado y pida al grupo como no podía ser
> > Utilizar para innovar en el aprendizaje o, tener un juego de rol y pida al grupo
> > Cómo podría ser facilitado por las innovaciones tecnológicas.
>
> > George, ¿crees que un Wiki sería una opción mejor que un grupo?
>
> > Viplav
>
> > El 24 de octubre, 15:35, Marc Frencken marcfrenc <...@> Planet.nl escribió:
> >> Hola señores,
>
> >> Yo he indicado que me gustaría contribuir a esta iniciativa.
> >> Obtener una visión general del aprendizaje de la innovación tecnología podría ayudar a reducir
> >> El total de la investigación sobre el mismo tema, sabiendo que hay personas
> >> Allready que comenzaron a hacerlo.
> >> Me gustaría tener un defenition clara de lo que está incluido en
> >> "Aprendizaje Innovación Tecnológica".
> >> La razón es que creo que soy bastante bueno en la localización de nuevos mensajes de e-learning
> > Iniciativas>, pero no están utilizando la tecnología Allways competely nuevo.
> >> La mayoría de ellos utilizan las aplicaciones en combinación con otros, y al hacerlo
> >> Por lo que estas iniciativas tratan de hacer la aplicación del e-learning
> >> Innovación más fácil para las personas involucradas en el proceso.
> >> Lo que veo es el uso de, por ejemplo OpenSim para orquestar
> >> Juegos de rol en Second Life. El hecho de que se hace puede ser
> >> Interesante, pero es tecnología antigua.
>
> >> Espero que me he expresado con claridad, y tengo curiosidad por lo que piensa sobre
> >> Esto.
>
> >> Si Aprendizaje Técnico intentos de innovación para crear un longlist de
> >> Educativos aplicaciones que utilizan la Información y Comunicación
> >> Tecnología, espero que haya un cierto nivel (a crear) para
> >> Hay un montón de cosas que no coincide con el punto de vista que
> > Aprendizaje puede ser no lineal>, puede ser completamente centrado en el estudiante, etc
> >> A veces con sólo significa aplanamiento folio en archivos digitales. Por lo tanto,
> >> Cierta moderación puede ser necesario ...;-)
>
> >> Saludos
>
> >> Marc
>
> >> Marc Frencken
> >> Miembro de Surf SIG juego serio y Mundos Virtuales
> >> Propietario en InnoCrator Teach_Game
> >> Profesor / escritor / para la formación profesional de la técnica de contrucción

Atul Sabnis

Oct 25, 2010, 10:57:32 PM10/25/10
to learning-techno...@googlegroups.com
Makes sense George - in any case, publishing tools allow us to categorise and manage articles in various ways. People can find information that seek, easily. :)

~Atul

courosa

Oct 26, 2010, 1:07:02 PM10/26/10
to Learning Technology Innovation
What about creating a Reddit-like site (re: technological framework of
site)?
The Reddit code is open source - http://code.reddit.com
I rather like the ability to create sub-reddits, basically what could
be seen as special interest/topic groups.

On Oct 25, 8:57 pm, Atul Sabnis <mail.sab...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Makes sense George - in any case, publishing tools allow us to
> categorise and manage articles in various ways. People can find
> information that seek, easily. :)
>
> ~Atul
>
> On 25 Oct 2010, at 20:30, George Siemens wrote:
>
> > Hi Atul - I'm not too concerned about defining innovation. If a tool
> > is new, serves some useful task, I'd be fine posting it...and
> > letting the community/network filter "what is innovative" through
> > discussions.
>
> > George
>
> > On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 9:43 PM, Atul Sabnis <mail.sab...@gmail.com>

George Siemens

Oct 26, 2010, 10:06:27 PM10/26/10
to learning-techno...@googlegroups.com
Hi - reddit is an interesting suggestion - it could add more of collaborative/community tone. In terms of functionality for a site, I'd like to see:

1. Company profiles (who's innovating, who's leading the company, other general info)
2. New site - new offerings, new companies - we need a workflow process to manage this - submissions/approval
3. In-depth interviews & analysis - produced by "core contributors"?
4. Obviously, community interaction/discussion (profiles for site members)

I'm fine hosting the site (any name suggestions?) once we agree on a platform.

George

chand...@smunet.net

Oct 26, 2010, 10:16:57 PM10/26/10
to learning-techno...@googlegroups.com
I agree with you, George. The part I really think will set this apart from the fly-by-night wikis that have lists of tools is the in-depth analysis and interviews.
Excellent.
Chris

From: George Siemens <gsie...@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 20:06:27 -0600
Subject: Re: LearnInnovation Re: Contribution to this group

ViplavBaxi

Oct 27, 2010, 9:11:57 PM10/27/10
to Learning Technology Innovation
Did we also want to add:

a. Experts profiles (people behind the product) [maybe also cover non-
companies]
b. A way of classifying and searching for innovations
c. A repository behind each innovation or category with supporting
material such as papers, posts and market reports (maybe we can
interest Stephen to loan us gRSSHopper)
d. Maybe occassional events around discussion of some innovations
e. Apart from products, did we also want to include research and work-
in-progress around yet-to-be launched innovations or just ideas?

Maybe we require a custom toolset for this....it has some features of
an ePortfolio as well (Mahara?)...let me also dig around.

Regards,
Viplav

On Oct 27, 7:06 am, George Siemens <gsiem...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi - reddit is an interesting suggestion - it could add more of
> collaborative/community tone. In terms of functionality for a site, I'd like
> to see:
>
> 1. Company profiles (who's innovating, who's leading the company, other
> general info)
> 2. New site - new offerings, new companies - we need a workflow process to
> manage this - submissions/approval
> 3. In-depth interviews & analysis - produced by "core contributors"?
> 4. Obviously, community interaction/discussion (profiles for site members)
>
> I'm fine hosting the site (any name suggestions?) once we agree on a
> platform.
>
> George
>

> On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 11:07 AM, courosa <acou...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > What about creating a Reddit-like site (re: technological framework of
> > site)?
> > The Reddit code is open source -http://code.reddit.com

George Siemens

Oct 28, 2010, 11:42:23 AM10/28/10
to learning-techno...@googlegroups.com
Anyone on this list familiar with Joomla? I've used it briefly in the past - it's well suited for news/info sites. Not sure about the database of companies feature that we want, however.

chand...@smunet.net

Oct 28, 2010, 12:00:43 PM10/28/10
to learning-techno...@googlegroups.com
I have limited experience w/Joomla.

From: George Siemens <gsie...@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 09:42:23 -0600

DolorsCapdet

Oct 28, 2010, 12:05:25 PM10/28/10
to Learning Technology Innovation
Hi all,

I think it should have several sections: Projects with success
(dissemination and analysis), with no success (analysis), new
initiatives (participation), ...

I prefer to be independent. I do not advocate that companies falling
directly on the issue, unless they sponsor some new projects for our
group.

On 28 oct, 18:00, chander...@smunet.net wrote:
> He limitado experiencia w / Joomla.Enviado desde mi BlackBerry de Verizon Wireless

ViplavBaxi

Oct 28, 2010, 1:51:50 PM10/28/10
to Learning Technology Innovation
I have slight (not so great) experience with Joomla. I am still pretty
much a beginner at it but had trouble with it from the start. Did
manage to get one site up though :)

There is perhaps some way I can put together a few developers on this
to make a custom site based on open source. From what I am seeing is
that we have some pretty interesting and unique requirements that will
need that approach.

I was talking with @LisaMLane on Twitter. Lisa was also interested in
seeing if we could build out something which had Ning/Grou.ps type
features as well which would I think be important. So maybe ELGG
+Mahara combined with some custom code and/or some other open source
things may work well.

The real thing, if everyone agrees and I am able to set up the
development resources here, is to get a wishlist out here of what we
would need.

Do let me know if this sounds like an interesting idea and I can push
at my end for the next step.

Regards,
Viplav

George Siemens

Oct 28, 2010, 5:37:36 PM10/28/10
to learning-techno...@googlegroups.com
Hi Viplav,

I don't think that a social network-type approach (grou.ps/ning) is the best way to go. I have a bit of social network fatigue...I'm getting selective about joining new networks.

We need to be clear about what we want to offer readers. My interest in this project is to get a better sense of the types of products that entrepreneurs are creating (i.e. I'm in this for personal learning reasons!). By building a database and news service about these companies, I'm hoping we'll be able to get a better sense of trends and innovations. I've given up hope that universities will change themselves. The change will come externally and the nature of that change will be shaped by the entrepreneurs developing new products. I want to get my finger on the pulse of entrepreneurial activity in learning technologies.

Even if we don't set the site up as a social network, we can still get some degree of community formation through comments (such as on slashdot, rww, techcrunch, etc).

Which means, I'm not that interested in social networking. I want an information and news site. It doesn't exist now. If it did, I would follow that group instead fo trying to set one up.

The mahara/elgg combo doesn't seem to match the news/information/innovative companies model I propose above. Drupal and Joomla (more joomla than drupal) seems to better address the news/info option.

Does that make sense?

George

ViplavBaxi

Oct 28, 2010, 7:43:37 PM10/28/10
to Learning Technology Innovation
Hi George,

I hear what you are saying and I have a long-ish reply.

Please bear with me while I take a step back. In my experience with
new initiatives, there is often a bit of norming that a group needs in
order to establish what it really wants to collectively achieve or
what needs does it want to address. The technology invariably comes in
later to support these objectives. From what I understand, you would
like to:

The solution WILL be to:
a. Build out an information and news website that:
a.1 is a database of news and information
a.2 will cover entreprenuer profiles
a.3 will cover products considered innovative by anyone who brings it
to the notice of the group
a.4 will analyze the possible impacts/applications of these products
with the help of "expert" or experienced contributors
a.5 will invite contributions to be considered as innovative by the
group/members or perhaps even from the entrepreneurs
a.6 will have some discussion element (or just comment-ability) so
different people can put in their opinions

b. Solve a need which is not only personal learning but also to get
the pulse of entreprenerial activity in learning.

The solution WILL NOT:
a. pass value judgments on what it terms 'innovative' (will let
community really decide that, but let our experience bring a product
to their notice)
b. be proactive in helping entrepreneurs and product teams better
understand what may work or what is needed. Basically it is a solution
that will uncover and report on products, not ideas as well.
c. be a place where ideas as such get "intentionally" seeded or
encouraged - maybe through some active contributions of people like
you who may want to suggest what needs to be done to make a product or
idea fit better in a particular context; or where a tool/product is
absent (as in our learning analytics discussion), what should an
entrepreneur do to make it if he is so inclined and perceives value
d. structure information (as in a repository over time, perhaps
"following" a products evolution over time) about new products or
value add by providing additional context from our experience and
expertise (say, add an academic paper that outlines the general
principles behind this kind of a product to help readers get a better
way of evaluating the idea in their own context, or results from a
market research that a group member had access to etc.)

I looked at sites like http://startups.in/, Jane Hart's C4LPT,
http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/138/5-startups-to-watch.html and
also an interesting site called http://www.killerstartups.com, apart
from TechCrunch, which seem to be close to the description you have
about what the solution will be. The only real differences are that
group expertise will be called upon to write informed opinion about
these products, and that choice of products to be covered will
generally be considered as those that directly impact our space as
judged by the group/member, which makes it more focused towards the
learning technology space. Are those the differentiators that we want
or did I miss anything?

I think I could share part of your pessimism about universities. In my
experience with industry, I have two conclusions - one, that learning
technology lags behind technology where there is a startup probably
every 4 seconds :) in general and two, that entrepreneurs are not
skilled or equipped enough to translate insight of how technology
could be applied to learning the way, for example, they realize it can
be applied to things such as mobility or commerce (basically I am
pessimistic from the other end!). I think that perhaps this group can
add value by highlighting its ideas on why this is the state and how
innovation can really start taking off in the learning space.

What do you think?

I am fine also with starting with information and news and then
evolving over time. In which case Joomla looks to be alright from what
I know.

Regards,
Viplav
> > > companies feature that we want, however.- Hide quoted text -

George Siemens

Oct 28, 2010, 9:47:59 PM10/28/10
to learning-techno...@googlegroups.com
Hi Viplav - yes, I think you capture the basic ideas/concepts. I'm not looking at creating a new model of journalism or revolutionizing models that others (techcrunch, rww, etc) have already developed and are working well. I simply want to understand innovation in the learning tech space better. How the community model plays into this is uncertain. We'll likely want to begin with a few volunteers as writers...and solicit posts from group members.

George

Marc Frencken

Nov 22, 2010, 5:17:32 AM11/22/10
to Learning Technology Innovation
Hi, since there hasn't been communication for some time I would like
to know if there's any progress in yhe project. I'ld like start
contibuting;-)

Grtz Marc
> > I looked at sites likehttp://startups.in/, Jane Hart's C4LPT,
> >http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/138/5-startups-to-watch.htmland
> > also an interesting site calledhttp://www.killerstartups.com, apart

George Siemens

Nov 24, 2010, 10:18:17 PM11/24/10
to learning-techno...@googlegroups.com
Hi all, I purchased the url "futurelearn.org". Does this work? It's hosted on yahoo...so if there are any particularly technically minded folks on the list who want to install joomla, let me know.

George

chand...@smunet.net

Nov 24, 2010, 11:09:09 PM11/24/10
to learning-techno...@googlegroups.com
Excellent. Can't wait to get this up and functional. Please let me know what I can do to help.

From: George Siemens <gsie...@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 20:18:17 -0700

Marc Frencken

Nov 26, 2010, 9:08:02 AM11/26/10
to learning-techno...@googlegroups.com

Works! Can’t wait to contibute. I’m not that good that I can manage the content using Joomla L

Marc Frencken

Hertshoornstraat 22

6813 EJ Arnhem

T 0263628802

M 0651605803

Ben Werdmuller von Elgg

Nov 26, 2010, 12:45:54 PM11/26/10
to Learning Technology Innovation

Howdy all,

I'd like to help where I can; for what it's worth, I think a mildly-
customized WP install would do what you need. Particularly in the
early stages, funneling all the content into a single stream seems
wise, as it increases the throughput and makes for a more vibrant
content feed. A large proportion will be reading through RSS, email
subscriptions, etc.

(If you'd like someone to write from a technology point of view, I'd
like to raise my hand.)

Ben

On Nov 25, 3:18 am, George Siemens <gsiem...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all, I purchased the url "futurelearn.org". Does this work? It's hosted
> on yahoo...so if there are any particularly technically minded folks on the
> list who want to install joomla, let me know.
>
> George

George Siemens

Nov 26, 2010, 1:11:37 PM11/26/10
to learning-techno...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ben - it would be great to have you involved writing from a tech point of view.

We had thrown around a few possible tools (WP being one). I thought Joomla would be an interesting tool to try because it adds some content management features - I think it's important that we have a database that tracks companies/startups with basic info such as: company name, partners, founded, location, etc. If you think a modified version of WP could serve as both a news site and as a means of building a repository of startups/companies, I'd like to hear more...

George

Ben Werdmuller von Elgg

Nov 26, 2010, 1:36:35 PM11/26/10
On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 6:11 PM, George Siemens <gsie...@gmail.com> wrote:

We had thrown around a few possible tools (WP being one). I thought Joomla would be an interesting tool to try because it adds some content management features - I think it's important that we have a database that tracks companies/startups with basic info such as: company name, partners, founded, location, etc. If you think a modified version of WP could serve as both a news site and as a means of building a repository of startups/companies, I'd like to hear more...

A CrunchBase sort of feature? I think you're right: WP probably wouldn't cut the mustard - although you might be able to get close using custom fields. Joomla will allow you to get closer to what you want, but the downside is that it'll require a bit more development and configuration.

Ben

--
Ben Werdmuller von Elgg

Web: http://benwerd.com/
Twitter: @benwerd
Phone: +44 7773 385 490

George Siemens

Nov 26, 2010, 1:39:10 PM11/26/10
to learning-techno...@googlegroups.com
Yep - crunchbase sort of feature. I'm trying to find someone who is competent with joomla to assist on this...I've used joomla for running a minor hockey site a few years ago, but my skills would hardly be sufficient solo :).

George

Audrey Watters

Nov 26, 2010, 2:53:03 PM11/26/10
to Learning Technology Innovation
Greetings all,

I think this is a great idea, and I'd love to be a part of the
project. I'm a technology journalist who is committed to covering the
education space (and highlighting ed-tech entrepreneurs who are
actually building interesting and innovative products). I try to do
so at ReadWriteWeb, but I recognize that that blog isn't necessarily
the right place to have in-depth discussions about learning
technologies.

Having a Crunchbase feature would be good as far as covering the
basics of a company (founding date, funding, links to news, etc), but
I also really like the idea of having some sort of Reddit community
submission feature -- not necessarily so that products can be up- or
down-voted, but so that there is a community that is taking part in
assessing contributions and really digging into what works and doesn't
work. I think that that in turn would be an incredibly important
resource for entrepreneurs who are considering building tech tools for
teaching/learning.

~Audrey

George Siemens

Nov 26, 2010, 3:25:37 PM11/26/10
to learning-techno...@googlegroups.com
Hi Audrey - good suggestions (and good to see you here - I enjoy your contributions to RWW).

In terms of your community suggestion - I think Alec C suggested Reddit previously. I'm trying to wrap my head around what tool we need to address:

1. News & startup updates
2. Database of ed-learning-tech companies/startups
3. Community contribution of resources (reddit/digg) and voting features

I can see Joomla doing 1 & 2...not sure about 3. Also, not sure about joomla plugins that would allow voting, etc. At AU we are currently working with Elgg and have found the numerous community-created plugins very helpful in extending functionality of the site. Not sure if we can address #3 above through Joomla plugins...

George

Philip Campbell

Nov 27, 2010, 9:09:41 AM11/27/10
to Learning Technology Innovation
I think this is great. I am currently working at a business school
and one of the challenges i have is to inspire some traditional
teachers to embrace technology. They find it intimidating, and mostly
because they do not try it. Or they do not see the value in it. I
would like to see where this goes and even take ideas and try them
with our teachers to get them back into the technology age. But to be
fair, I also have some teachers that do embrace technology, but could
do more. If we can show the value of the products or practices it
would make our educational system expand and encourage learners as
well as teachers to utilize the technology.

Richard Olsen

Nov 28, 2010, 4:00:43 AM11/28/10
to Learning Technology Innovation
If you want a site like techcrunch, news and company profiles, then it
would be quite simple to set up in wordpress (as of version 3
wordpress has custom post types) I'd be happy to do this for you,
would only take an evening or so. I also have access to a graphic
designer, if needed, although she is getting married on the 3rd so it
would be a couple of weeks until she could help. Obviously, this would
be donated time, no costs for either of us.

Would also be interested in working on this to give an Australian
perspective.

Richard

Kim Flintoff

Nov 28, 2010, 4:31:44 AM11/28/10
to learning-techno...@googlegroups.com, Learning Technology Innovation
Hiya Richard,

Wordpress is easy enough to set up. I'm happy to contribute a domain and hosting where WP comes as a one click install - themes can be added at any time and there are plenty of freebies to work with in the short term. I'm also in the Australian context

Kim Flintoff

Sent from my iPad
Where ever I am I'm close

anchal manocha

Nov 28, 2010, 10:14:34 AM11/28/10
to learning-technology-innovation
Hi,

I'm Anchal from Pune, India. I just did a course on Educational Technologies with Harvard Extension School. As a part of the course I created a WordPress 3.0 site using Multi-site and Buddy Press. I haven't hosted the site yet. I will do that soon and share it with everyone. Let's see if it can be of any use for this forum.

Regards,
Anchal

George Siemens

Nov 28, 2010, 1:08:18 PM11/28/10
to learning-techno...@googlegroups.com
Hi Richard - thanks for the comments on WP 3...offering graphic design help...and providing an Australian perspective on the site.

Based on your comments, Richard, as well as Ben's, perhaps we should consider using WP3.

Would members of this list be interested in a live discussion in Elluminate this week to discuss feature requests in more detail? I'm available Tues/Wed/Thurs.

I've set up a doodle meeting scheduler - if you are interested in attending, please record your availability here: http://www.doodle.com/9buzyp7nbsxvmmpt . We'll go with simple majority in selecting suitable times.

Once the meeting has been set, I'll send the elluminate link for the meeting and we can finalize an agenda.

George

George Siemens

Nov 28, 2010, 1:10:42 PM11/28/10
to learning-techno...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Kim! I have a domain set up "futurelearn.com", but if anyone has a better idea, please suggest. I did consider "learncrunch" which was also available, but that's too blatant a rip off :). I have a dedicated server that I use to host elearnspace and connectivism sites, so I'm fine hosting as well. Good to know we have options!

George

Alec Couros

Nov 28, 2010, 1:41:29 PM11/28/10
to learning-technology-innovation
A couple of other options if we are thinking about 'up-voting' or creating a Digg-like site:

Pligg - http://www.pligg.com/about/ (I haven't used it, but there seems to be decent reviews.
Wordpress Plugins - There seems to be a few Digg-like WP3 plugins or themes - here's one. http://prothemedesign.com/themes/nominate-for-wordpress/ ... and another http://goldenapplesdesign.com/projects/recommended-links-plugin-for-wordpress/ ... I am sure there are more.

George Siemens

Nov 28, 2010, 2:32:03 PM11/28/10
to learning-techno...@googlegroups.com
Good suggestion, Alec. I clearly haven't spent enough time playing with the plugins for WP3 :). I'll get WP3 set up on the site (the url is actually futurelearn.org, not .com as stated in my last email) and play around with plugins.

I'm rather encouraged to see the expression of participation from different regions around the world!! This could develop into a useful service for the edtech community.

George

Richard Olsen

Nov 28, 2010, 3:22:51 PM11/28/10
to learning-techno...@googlegroups.com
Sounds good George, I’ve added my availability.

Richard

Paulo Simões

Nov 28, 2010, 5:22:06 PM11/28/10
to Learning Technology Innovation
I agree with Alec (Everything ok, my friend??? :) )

Wp has a lot of plugins we can use... I've been trying a lot of them
in my blog and they are really good. (www.pgsimoes.net) and wp is
easier than Joomla or Drupal ;)

I've also answer to George and recorded my availability.

Paulo Simões

On 28 Nov, 19:32, George Siemens <gsiem...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Good suggestion, Alec. I clearly haven't spent enough time playing with the
> plugins for WP3 :). I'll get WP3 set up on the site (the url is actually
> futurelearn.org, not .com as stated in my last email) and play around with
> plugins.
>
> I'm rather encouraged to see the expression of participation from different
> regions around the world!! This could develop into a useful service for the
> edtech community.
>
> George
>

> On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 11:41 AM, Alec Couros <cou...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > A couple of other options if we are thinking about 'up-voting' or creating
> > a Digg-like site:
>
> > Pligg -http://www.pligg.com/about/(I haven't used it, but there seems to
> > be decent reviews.
> > Wordpress Plugins - There seems to be a few Digg-like WP3 plugins or themes
> > - here's one.http://prothemedesign.com/themes/nominate-for-wordpress/...
> > and another
> >http://goldenapplesdesign.com/projects/recommended-links-plugin-for-w...... I am sure there are more.
>
> > On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 11:10 AM, George Siemens <gsiem...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> >> Thanks Kim! I have a domain set up "futurelearn.com", but if anyone has a
> >> better idea, please suggest. I did consider "learncrunch" which was also
> >> available, but that's too blatant a rip off :). I have a dedicated server
> >> that I use to host elearnspace and connectivism sites, so I'm fine hosting
> >> as well. Good to know we have options!
>
> >> George

Michael Paskevicius

Nov 29, 2010, 3:29:13 AM11/29/10
to learning-techno...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,
I am based in Cape Town, South Africa and would be happy to contribute to this project.  There a number of interesting startup projects happening in the mobile space in this region.  It would be great to share them more widely.

Michael Paskevicius
OER UCT Project
University of Cape Town
Centre for Educational Technology
Tel:+27(21) 650 3477

http://opencontent.uct.ac.za
http://blogs.uct.ac.za/blog/oer-uct
http://www.cet.uct.ac.za/oer
http://twitter.com/openuct

http://twitter.com/mpaskevi

kylemathews

Nov 29, 2010, 5:54:21 PM11/29/10
to Learning Technology Innovation
I ran across this great initiative today and thought I'd throw my two
bits in as no one else has suggested Drupal.

Open Publish is a Drupal distro built specifically for online news.
It's a very polished application as it's supported by a commercial
Drupal firm that builds sites for a number of large media companies
(http://www.thenation.com/ for example is built with in). Read more
about it - http://openpublishapp.com/

And as it's built on Drupal, it's very easy to build custom content
types and workflows such as the crunchbase-type tool. I've worked with
Drupal for ~4 years now and could whip up a crunchbase-type feature
fairly quickly.

Also, if we do decide to add more community features, I could help
with that as my ed tech startup (http://eduglu.com) is based around
providing social learning tools built with Drupal.

George Siemens

Nov 30, 2010, 1:37:02 PM11/30/10
to learning-techno...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kyle - I personally don't care what we use: joomla, drupal, WP. I'm comfortable with group decision on selecting the tool. We are meeting on Thurs to discuss details/features needed. Once we have a better sense of that, it will likely be easier to determine which platform meets our needs.

George

Andreas Link

Feb 8, 2011, 2:55:13 PM2/8/11