Seeking a researcher?

Philip Pavlik

Nov 21, 2021, 10:57:57 AM11/21/21
to Learning Engineering
Hi Fellow Tools Competitors,

I just wanted to reflect on the process of seeking academic research help with your project. As a  researcher unfortunately I can't read all your proposals because I have a job that is already greater than full-time. However, I could be willing to collaborate with teams that might need to do something with my special skills or provide me an opportunity to implement my theories.

I think my situation typifies other learning scientists in the field. What does this mean for recruiting our help? I think it means that you would be well served by identifying people in the academic community who are doing similar research. These are the people you need to contact. For example, if I was making an intelligent teacher interface, I would recruit an HCI academic that does work with dashboards.

Another side detail is that unless your researcher is well fitted for your needs, they may actually be unhelpful to mention in your proposal. I believe the reviewers will likely consider the appropriateness of the team assembled.

Phil

--
Dr. Philip I. Pavlik Jr.

Associate Professor | Cognitive Area Graduate Director

Institute for Intelligent Systems and Psychology Dept.

Pronouns: he, they

UofM logo

The University of Memphis
400 Innovation Drive, Psychology Bldg.
Memphis, TN 38152

901.678.2326 | optimallearning.org

UofM Facebook   UofM Twitter   UofM Instagram

Teya Rutherford

Nov 22, 2021, 11:30:29 AM11/22/21
to Learning Engineering
I agree with Phil re: the lack of time available to provide feedback and also the interest in collaborating on something closely related to my research area.
I understand though that many developers may not be familiar enough with the research to know who to recruit as a collaborator that would be the best fit.
In this case, teams could hire an academic/researcher as a short-term consultant to help connect you (mostly likely through knowledge of the field or through reading and distilling the relevant research) with the right person who would be a longer-term collaborator.
I do believe that even someone who isn't a perfect fit can be helpful (e.g., in helping you define your logic model and research methods for any studies).
Good luck all!
Teya

Kripa Sundar

Nov 22, 2021, 12:17:02 PM11/22/21
to Teya Rutherford, Katerina Schenke, Learning Engineering
Thanks Teya!

Agreed. @Katerina Schenke and I are happy to support companies think through and get started with research via EdTech Recharge. Companies, please feel welcome to connect directly via email (kripa...@gmail.com/katerin...@gmail.com) and we'd be happy to help distill research, build your logic model, or find a list of potential researchers who may be interested/good fit for your product.

Regards,
(NarayanKripa Sundararajan, PhD)
 Founder & Lead Consultant, EdTech Recharge
Let's chat || P.S. Have you seen my book for kids and parents?

Rocio Raña

Nov 22, 2021, 2:05:22 PM11/22/21
to Learning Engineering
Thanks!

Maria Cleary

Dec 1, 2021, 1:50:08 PM12/1/21
to Learning Engineering
Thanks to those who have offered to help! Wondering if anyone might know of a researcher or group that does work in the area of adolescent, teen and young adult literacy - especially reading comprehension, retention and engagement for these groups. Not a lot of research has been done with this audience and would love to connect with someone who has an interest/track record. Appreciate your consideration!

Maria Cleary
President, Readeezy