Analyzing problem-solving data from paper - Research partnership for Competition Phase 2

Nirmal Patel

Nov 24, 2021, 11:48:16 AM11/24/21
to Learning Engineering
Hi all, we are looking for research partners interested in analyzing images of how students solve math problems on paper. We would love to partner with folks who have computer vision and/or NLP expertise that they can apply to understand and model handwritten problem-solving processes.

Our tool Smart Paper (https://www.learnsense.ai/smartpaper) can digitize paper learning at scale. This capability enables the creation of the ImageNet for Education dataset that can show us the variation in paper learning patterns of students. See this for an example: ImageNet Edu Hello World

We believe that data from paper at scale will give us novel insights into students' problem-solving processes. These insights can directly impact how we build intelligent tutoring technologies.

We have three proposals in Phase 2 that are using Smart Paper.

If you find paper data interesting, please do reach out to me! We want to work with people who want to explore this new dimension of educational data on paper.

Cheers!

Nirmal Patel
Chief Dat Scientist, Playpower Labs