Announcement: The Leanpub GitHub Service is now unsupported. Please use GitHub Webhooks instead.

Peter Armstrong

Nov 8, 2018, 7:11:12 PM11/8/18
to lea...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

A long time ago, GitHub deprecated their Services service, in favour
of either (a) GitHub Apps or (b) Webhooks.

We actually built a GitHub App and a Webhook approach, to test both.

Even though the GitHub App was fancier, we decided to use the Webhook
approach, for the following reason:

It is more explicit about what it does. We don't want access to your
entire GitHub account. Yes, we could ask for the
appropriately-fine-grained permissions, but then you'd have to read a
dialog and trust GitHub or us. Whereas the Webhook approach seems a
bit clunkier, but it is completely transparent about what is
happening.

So, please go to the Getting Started page on your book(s) to learn what to do.

https://leanpub.com/YOURBOOK/getting_started

***************
NOTE:
Do not copy and paste the Getting Started text for one of your books
and email it to someone else. We put YOUR API KEY in the
instructions, so that you can follow the instructions easily.
However, if you are tired and make a mistake (like me last night!),
you will expose your API key to other people. Don't do that :)
***************

With this, we are officially now making the Leanpub GitHub Service is
now unsupported. It may or may not work, and we will not spend any
time supporting it. And once GitHub completely kills Services (I
think this is in January 2019), then it definitely won't work!

Thanks,
Peter

Yves Hanoulle

Nov 9, 2018, 1:17:05 AM11/9/18
to lea...@googlegroups.com
Hi Peter,
F y I , I changed my tips from the trenches book yesterday and it worked immeditly.

So whatever problem I had with the service, went away .

The manual was clear, and it took me less then five minutes.

The only improvement I would propose is add the warning about the API key to the manual, as it was not immediately clear to me, that this was my API key. The extra warning would make that clear and avoid me looking for my key...

Sent from YPhone3b

yod...@gmail.com

Mar 9, 2019, 2:36:31 AM3/9/19
to leanpub
Hi, Peter,

This is not working for me. I get the Dashboard and this error message:
"You need to be logged in as one of the book's authors to edit the book."
Even though I am logged in. I've looked everywhere I could think. The webhooks link somewhere in the menu is not for working with GitHub.

What should I do?

Thank you,
Andrew

Peter Armstrong

Mar 9, 2019, 10:50:27 AM3/9/19
to lea...@googlegroups.com
Are you the primary author? I think this may be something only the
primary author can set up.

Also, to debug this specific issue, please email he...@leanpub.com,
since we should keep questions on the group or forum a bit more
generic.

Thanks,
Peter
> --

Peter Armstrong
Co-founder & CEO, Ruboss

Andrew Durham

Mar 9, 2019, 6:56:45 PM3/9/19
to lea...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I am the primary author. I wrote hello@leanpub.

---
hygienic darkroomretreat.com
profound rest for the self-healing psyche // the ebook

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "leanpub" group.

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/leanpub.