Self Intro

Bob Baddeley

Aug 26, 2012, 4:34:57 PM8/26/12
to leaguevine...@googlegroups.com
Howdy, all. I'm Bob Baddeley, with the startup Portable Scores. We're building a connected portable electronic scoreboard called the DigiTally. One of the coolest features is that it has Bluetooth, allowing us to post scores from the scoreboard through a laptop or Android device to the Internet. I'm working with the LeagueVine API to get the scoreboard to create and post games to LeagueVine. That way people will only have to update the scores from one app, and it shows on the scoreboard and on the web site as it happens.

I've also played quite a bit of Ultimate, and play lots of other recreational sports as well. I'm looking forward to getting the integration working and looking awesome.

Bob Baddeley
Portable Scores

Chadwick Boulay

Aug 26, 2012, 10:32:22 PM8/26/12
to leaguevine...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bob,
I agree it's a bad idea to have people using two apps. Instead of you writing a completely independent app, how about you just leverage what we already have?

As far as I can tell, it isn't possible to use HTML + Javascript to control a bluetooth device. However, we're planning on packaging up leaguevine-ultistats using phonegap, and phonegap has a bluetooth plugin. So, if you think this is a good solution for you, it might be simplest to add support for your device to the webapp.

I'm well on the way to getting the app usable offline. Once that's done, I hope to re-enable creating teams, players, and games (most of the code is there, I've just hidden the features). Then I think the app will be ready to be packaged and put on the iOS and google play app stores. [I'm not sure how Metro (Win8) apps will work with bluetooth. I think the pairing will have to be done outside the app but even then some protocols (SPP) are not supported.]

I think our app is overkill for simple score entry and simple score entry is all some teams want. Users don't have to enter detailed information into our app to keep scores but that is not obvious. I think that, without too much trouble, I can make a 'basic mode'. That way you could make your device accessible to any potential customers that just want the simplest experience.

If you think this might be a good solution for you then I encourage you to join in on the leaguevine-ultistats development.
https://github.com/leaguevine/leaguevine-ultistats