Self-Intro & QuikStats App Intro

Julian Bryant

Aug 19, 2012, 1:17:01 AM8/19/12
to leaguevine...@googlegroups.com
Hi devs,

I just joined the group and Mark recommended I do a self-intro. I'm an Ultimate fan and player out here in San Diego. I'm also a freelance iOS developer. To satisfy a minor competitive streak in me, I built an app (QuikStats) last year to record game stats (in the same vein as iOS Ultistats - much cred to them).

This year, I've been revisiting the app and have been making regular updates (releasing roughly every two weeks) this summer. I'm pushing the 1.6 update to Apple tomorrow (hopefully available in 2 weeks). And I'm planning to take advantage of the API for getting and posting data. I look forward to chatting with you all about working with this kind of data.

Julian

Chadwick Boulay

Aug 19, 2012, 1:19:58 PM8/19/12
to leaguevine...@googlegroups.com
Hi Julian,
I'm flattered you thought I (iOS Ultistats developer) was more than one person, or was 'them' just a gender-neutral pronoun?

UltiStats is currently off the App Store. I lost the source code several years ago through a serious of mistakes and unfortunate coincidences. I should have had more separated backups. I won't make that mistake again. As a result, I haven't been updating the app.

I'm currently working with Leaguevine to get a web app going for ultimate statistics called "leaguevine-ultistats". We may package this up with PhoneGap and put it out on the App Store and the Play Store, even though it might be slower than going for a native app. If my work requires me to get back into mobile development then I may write a native app, but not until al of the details of leaguevine-ultistats have been worked out. Between working on a web app, and possibly replacing Ultistats with a web app or something similar, I didn't think I should continue to sell Ultistats in its current form, and I didn't want to spend $100 on a developer's license for a free app that would get spammed with reviews like "this doesn't even do t-tests".

I'm mentioning all this because I hope you do decide to use the API and encourage users to upload their data (we're all data nerds here and we'd love for there to be more data) and I hope you won't be surprised or feel betrayed when a Leaguevine app makes its way to the app store. I'm not in it for the money and I definitely don't have the time to compete with a professional so I'd be happy if we could somehow consolidate our efforts though it isn't clear to me how to do that.

It's nice to have you here.
-Chad