Country Outlines only?

David Godfrey

Nov 13, 2022, 4:39:17 AM11/13/22
to Leaflet
Does anyone have a suggestion for a map provider I can use with Leaflet that provides country outlines only? The closest thing I can find so far is one of the Carto "No Labels" maps, however, even those show some additional features at certain zoom levels.

Joseph Elfelt

Nov 13, 2022, 7:10:47 AM11/13/22
to Leaflet

Mark Lawton

Nov 13, 2022, 1:01:39 PM11/13/22
to leafl...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

My site only use country outlines. If you want to do something like it, I can send you the JSON file.  note: I removed a couple of tiny countries in the oceans because they end up just looking specks on the map.

--

---

Keith Kaiser

Nov 13, 2022, 1:20:17 PM11/13/22
to Leaflet
I’d love to see a map that outlines the counties, but only those showing on the map already.

Keith, WA0̷TJT
Author: https://net-control.us
ARRL ARES Communicator Level 2, AEC for Platte Co. MO
KCHEART Radio Operator - St. Lukes Barry Road Hospital

Mark Lawton

Nov 13, 2022, 1:22:01 PM11/13/22
to leafl...@googlegroups.com
Did you mean counties or countries?  I have the JSON for the countries that are on my site:  oneworld-futbol.com

Joseph Elfelt

Nov 13, 2022, 1:34:06 PM11/13/22
to Leaflet
The map link I posted has a bunch of GIS overlay layers you can turn on/off.  One layer displays country outlines.  Another layer displays USA county outlines.  The overlay layer that is 'on top' can be clicked to display all the attribute data for the thing that you clicked.  For help using the map, click "Map tips" upper left corner.

Michael Page

Nov 13, 2022, 2:26:51 PM11/13/22
to leafl...@googlegroups.com
Years ago I had a project where we made world boundaries for ever year from WW2 on with a accompanying data sheet. I need to find a use for it. Michael Page, geographer

--

---

Keith Kaiser

Nov 14, 2022, 3:27:56 PM11/14/22
to leafl...@googlegroups.com
I meant COUNTIES within each state of the United States. I would like one that I can only show for the area on the screen.

Keith, WA0̷TJT
Author: https://net-control.us
ARRL ARES Communicator Level 2, AEC for Platte Co. MO
KCHEART Radio Operator - St. Lukes Barry Road Hospital

Joseph Elfelt

Nov 14, 2022, 3:57:45 PM11/14/22
to Leaflet

Keith Kaiser

Nov 14, 2022, 5:19:21 PM11/14/22
to leafl...@googlegroups.com
These are Exactly what I’m looking for. Thanks Joseph.

Keith, WA0̷TJT
Author: https://net-control.us
ARRL ARES Communicator Level 2, AEC for Platte Co. MO
KCHEART Radio Operator - St. Lukes Barry Road Hospital

Joseph Elfelt

Nov 14, 2022, 5:24:46 PM11/14/22
to Leaflet
Great - glad I could help.  BTW, that map service has a different layer that you can use to add county names to your map.

Keith Kaiser

Nov 14, 2022, 5:27:48 PM11/14/22
to leafl...@googlegroups.com
If you might be interested here is a version of the map I want to add it to. But there are very literally hundreds of others which is why I want the counties only for what’s on the screen.

Keith, WA0̷TJT
Author: https://net-control.us
ARRL ARES Communicator Level 2, AEC for Platte Co. MO
KCHEART Radio Operator - St. Lukes Barry Road Hospital

Keith Kaiser

Nov 14, 2022, 5:28:46 PM11/14/22
to leafl...@googlegroups.com
Lets try that again with a link; https://net-control.us/map.php?NetID=7678

Keith, WA0̷TJT
Author: https://net-control.us
ARRL ARES Communicator Level 2, AEC for Platte Co. MO
KCHEART Radio Operator - St. Lukes Barry Road Hospital

Joseph Elfelt

Nov 14, 2022, 5:47:34 PM11/14/22
to Leaflet
I took a quick look at your map and code.  I expect you realize there are newer versions of both Leaflet and the ESRI plugin.  And at the risk of adding to your work, I  suggest you add some support  for USNG/MGRS coordinates.  FEMA is working on shifting to that coordinate system for large scale disaster response.  You could start with a simple coordinate conversion tool and later on work on adding grid lines.
Actually there are some ArcGIS overlays I could dig out that will add USNG/MGRS grid lines.  Lemme know if that would be useful.

Keith Kaiser

Nov 14, 2022, 6:00:52 PM11/14/22
to leafl...@googlegroups.com
Actually I wrote that code so long ago I didn’t know about the new versions. Getting these maps working was far more work than almost all the rest of the code I wrote for Net Control Manager. The only grid system in use right now is the Maidenhead Grid Square system used by ham radio operators, which is who the overall application is used by.
But I do want to look at the new version of Leaflet and ESRI I wish I could predict what that would do to the existing code. Being a one man band here, retired, two grand children, and three other kids taking up my time it may be a while before I can modify all the MySQL, PHP, etc. for it.

I really appreciate your time to look at my stuff, if you ever run out of things to work on Joseph, please let me know. In the mean time thanks again.

Keith, WA0̷TJT
Author: https://net-control.us
ARRL ARES Communicator Level 2, AEC for Platte Co. MO
KCHEART Radio Operator - St. Lukes Barry Road Hospital

Harry wood

Nov 20, 2022, 7:22:52 AM11/20/22
to Leaflet
The map link I posted has a bunch of GIS overlay layers you can turn on/off.  One layer displays country outlines.  Another layer displays USA county outlines.  The overlay layer that is 'on top' can be clicked to display all the attribute data for the thing that you clicked.  For help using the map, click "Map tips" upper left corner.

Keith Kaiser

Nov 20, 2022, 12:06:33 PM11/20/22
to Leaflet
Hi Harry,

This thread has gotten so long I don’t see any map links by you, The only ones I found in the thread are way to complex for this old head to get around. Maybe you could repost your link and I’ll give that a try.
Thanks...

Keith, WA0̷TJT