LEADERSHIP TIPS FROM P G VARGIS

PG Vargis

Dec 4, 2015, 5:30:09 PM12/4/15
to leadershiptip...@googlegroups.com

Inline image 1A leader is like a river. Starts as a small stream. But gathers on the way other streams and becomes a mighty river – feeding people, cattle and agricultural lands and nourishing forests. It never stops working – day and night. A river exists for others and then vanishes.  You can be a Pampa river of Kerala or Ganges of India or Amazon. The choice is yours.

P G Vargis

Leadership note. Grow with me.

And share this with others. Let the world grow.

============================

Never Give Up

Sir Winston Churchill has been described as Britain’s greatest ever leader. He lived a long, heroic life and he rallied a nation with his inspiring rhetoric. One of the most striking parts of his biography is that he had to resign from the Admiralty during WWI over the failed Dardanelles campaign. He had failed spectacularly, yet he was to learn not to give up.

Legend has it that once, when he returned to his old school, Harrow, to address the boys, the whole school assembled to listen to his words of wisdom. The great man arose to speak: ‘Young men; never give up, never give up, never give up.’ The entire speech lasted only a few seconds. Then he sat down. No one present ever forgot his words.

That is, at least, the popular version of the story. Churchill did indeed say words to that effect, but as part of a longer speech. Towards the end of the speech he said, ‘Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.’

In today’s generation our lives have become so instantaneous that anything requiring patient perseverance can appear unattractive. We require instant returns and instant results. But sometimes the biggest pay-offs are a long time coming.

PROVERBS 23:10-18

1. Never give up being enthusiastic

‘Do not let your heart envy sinners, but always be zealous for the fear of the Lord. There is surely a future hope for you, and your hope will not be cut off’ (vv.17–18).

St Paul wrote something similar: ‘Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervour’ (Romans 12:11). We should be as enthusiastic as the day we first encountered Jesus. As Bear Grylls says, ‘Be the most enthusiastic person you know. Enthusiasm sustains you when times are tough, encourages those around you and is totally infectious.’

Looking back through an old Bible, I see that many years ago I wrote in the margin next to these verses in Proverbs: ‘I am feeling rather envious of the people [my work colleagues at the time] and their work. This is the Lord’s word to me – not to be envious, but instead to be zealous for him – and he promises “a bright future” (Proverbs 23:18, GNB). Praise the Lord for that promise to cling to for my work.’

Lord, help me never to be lacking in zeal, but to keep my spiritual fervour. Keep me from envy. Thank you that you promise me ‘a bright future’.

GALATIANS 6:1-18

2. Never give up doing good

‘Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up’ (v.9).

As Paul reached the end of this letter, he encouraged the Galatians to work together as a team. If someone is going off the path, seek to restore them gently (v.1a). But also watch yourself lest you be tempted (v.1b). You are responsible for your own life: ‘Each one should test his own actions… for each one should carry his own load’ (vv.4–5).

We also have a responsibility for other members of the team: ‘Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfil the law of Christ’ (v.2).

Paul assumes we all have burdens. The word used means ‘heavy burdens’. It is a wide-ranging term that includes suffering, illnesses, physical disabilities, sorrows, grief, worries, responsibilities (financial and other), temptations, errors, doubts, weaknesses and failures (moral and other). In other words, it includes any and every load that is hard to bear.

One of the ways in which Jesus bears these burdens of yours is through human friendship. This was the way in which Titus helped to bear Paul’s burdens.

I like to be independent and self-sufficient, not relying on other people, but I am designed to be a burden to you and you are designed to be a burden to me: ‘Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfil the law of Christ’ (v.2).

I can only say that in my own life I am so grateful to those close friends with whom we talk and pray regularly, who have helped us at times when the burdens have seemed too heavy for us to carry alone. We have been through many things together. We have suffered together and rejoiced together. All this has helped to spread the load.

The object of the team is to carry on sowing good seed. ‘People reap what they sow. Those who sow to please their sinful nature, from that nature will reap destruction; those who sow to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life’ (vv.7–8).

So, St Paul wrote to the Galatians, ‘Do not give up’ (v.9). The temptation is to become weary in doing good. But the promise is that you will reap a harvest if you do not give up. Take every opportunity to do good to all people, ‘especially to those who belong to the family of believers’ (v.10).

There are so many discouragements around. There are huge temptations to give up. When you sow a seed, you do not see the results immediately; it takes time. Sometimes, it’s only when we look back years later that we can see that the seed we have sown has finally borne a harvest. There are also many seeds sown about which we will know nothing until we see the harvest in heaven. One of the keys to staying positive is to keep an eternal perspective.

Paul never gave up preaching the simple message of the ‘cross of Christ’ (v.12). He kept on going and he kept on sowing. He refused to add or subtract from the message. He also refused to preach a more popular message in order to avoid persecution (v.12). As a result, he was persecuted. He wrote, ‘I bear on my body the marks of Jesus’ (v.17).

Lord, help me to keep on sowing, keep on doing good, and hold on to your promise that, at the proper time, we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.

ISAIAH 49:8-51:16

3. Never give up trusting in God’s love

Each morning, Isaiah waited on God to speak to him and to instruct him, so that he would know the right words to ‘sustain the weary’ – to encourage those who were tempted to give up (50:4).

In this passage, the way he did this was by speaking to them about God’s love for them. He spoke of God’s compassion (49:10–13), and he used five analogies for God’s love.

•       Shepherd

God loves you as a shepherd loves his sheep. God, as the shepherd of Israel, will lead his people back out of exile. In his love, he will make even obstacles serve his purpose: ‘I’ll make all my mountains into roads, turn them into a superhighway’ (v.11, MSG). Jesus picks up this picture of the good shepherd and applies it to himself (John 10:3–15).

•       Mother

God’s love for you is greater than any mother’s love for their child. The objection was raised that God would not restore his people (Isaiah 49:14). The prophet replies, ‘Can a mother forget the infant at her breast, walk away from the baby she bore? But even if mothers forget, I’d never forget you – never’ (v.15, MSG).

•       Engraver

The Lord says, ‘I have indelibly imprinted (tattooed a picture of) you on the palm of each of My hands’ (v.16, AMP). The Babylonians used tattoos to remind them of the person they loved. God’s love and commitment to you is demonstrated by his engraving of you on the palms of his hands.

•       Conqueror

Another objection is raised that even God is not strong enough to bring about restoration (v.24). To this objection, the prophet replies that God’s love is like a conqueror (vv.25–26). He is strong enough to carry out his purposes for you and to fight against those who oppress you (v.25).

•       Husband

The people were saying God had divorced them because of their sins. God replies that although it was their weakness and their sin that caused the exile, God is able to restore them. He has not divorced them or sold them into slavery (50:1). No one is too far out of God’s reach. He is married to his people. His love for you is greater than the greatest love between a husband and a wife.

Isaiah urges people to keep on trusting in the Lord: ‘Those who hope in me will not be disappointed’ (49:23). God will rescue them through his suffering servant. ‘I did not hide my face from mocking and spitting. Because the Sovereign Lord helps me, I will not be disgraced. Therefore, have I set my face like flint’ (50:6–7).

Jesus, knowing that he was going to be mocked and spat upon, set his face like flint and went to Jerusalem knowing that he would be crucified there. He was utterly determined. He did not give up. God vindicated him (v.8). The result was a great victory and a great harvest.

Lord, thank you that those who put their trust in you will never be disappointed. Help me to keep on trusting in your great love for me.

                                        ===============================

Have a day of growth for the glory of God

p g vargis

www.pgv.com

image.png

PG Vargis

Dec 11, 2015, 5:30:12 PM12/11/15
to leadershiptip...@googlegroups.com

Inline image 1A leader is like a river. Starts as a small stream. But gathers on the way other streams and becomes a mighty river – feeding people, cattle and agricultural lands and nourishing forests. It never stops working – day and night. A river exists for others and then vanishes.  You can be a Pampa river of Kerala or Ganges of India or Amazon. The choice is yours.

P G Vargis

Leadership note. Grow with me.

And share this with others. Let the world grow.

============================

24 inspirational quotes from business leaders

Ratan Tata (Chariman emeritus of Tata Sons)

"I admire people who are very successful. But if that success has been achieved through too much ruthlessness, then I may admire that person, but I can’t respect him." Book: 'From Steel to Cellular' by Ratan Tata

Dhirubhai Ambani

“If you don't build your dream, someone else will hire you to help them build theirs.”

― Against All Odds: A Story Of Courage, Perseverance And Hope

==========

Narayana Murthy (Co-founder, Infosys)

“Respect, recognition, and reward flow out of performance.” — Entrepreneur of the New Millennium N.R. Narayana Murthy: Life and Times of N.R. Narayana Murthy, 2003.

======================

Azim Premji (Chairman, Wipro)

"I was 21 and had spent the last few years in Stanford University Engineering School at California. Many people advised me to take up a nice, cushy job rather than face the challenges of running a hydrogenated oil business. Looking back, I am glad I decided to take charge instead. Essentially leadership begins from within. It is a small voice that tells you where to go when you feel lost. If you believe in that voice, you believe in yourself." )

…………………..

Warren Buffett (CEO, Berkshire Hathaway)

"Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago." — Of Permanent Value: The Story of Warren Buffett by Andrew Kilpatrick, 2007.

=============

Richard Branson (Founder and Chairman, Virgin Group)

“Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.” — The Virgin Way: Everything I Know About Leadership, 2014.

===================

Sheryl Sandberg (CEO, Facebook)

"Trying to do it all and expecting that it all can be done exactly right is a recipe for disappointment. Perfection is the enemy." — Lean In, 2013.

=================

Bill Gates (Co-founder, Microsoft)

“Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people into thinking they can’t lose.” — The Road Ahead, 1995.

=================

Steve Jobs (Co-founder, Apple)

“Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life.” — Stanford Commencement address, 2005.

======================

Mark Zuckerberg (Co-founder, Facebook)

“I think a simple rule of business is, if you do the things that are easier first, then you can actually make a lot of progress.” — Mark Zuckerberg: Ten Lessons in Leadership, 2012.

==================

Jack Ma (Founder and Executive Chairman, Alibaba Group)

"Never give up. Today is hard, tomorrow will be worse, but the day after tomorrow will be sunshine." — Interview with Rebecca Fannin, 2006.

====================

Carlos Slim Helu (Honorary Chairman, América Móvil)

“Competition makes you better, always, always makes you better, even if the competitor wins.” — “Questions and Answers,” Carlosslim.com, 2007.

===============

Howard Schultz (CEO of Starbucks)

“Risk more than others think is safe. Dream more than others think is practical.” — Onward: How Starbucks Fought for Its Life without Losing Its Soul, 2007.

===================

Arianna Huffington (Co-founder and editor-in-chief, The Huffington Post)

“We think, mistakenly, that success is the result of the amount of time we put in at work, instead of the quality of time we put in.” — Thrive: The Third Metric to Redefining Success and Creating a Life of Well-Being, Wisdom, and Wonder, 2014.

===============

Steve Case (Co-founder, AOL)

“A vision without the ability to execute is probably a hallucination.” — Business Week, 2001.

===================

Walt Disney (Co-founder, The Walt Disney Company)

"A person should set his goals as early as he can and devote all his energy and talent to getting there." —  Quoted in Walt Disney, Magician of the Movies, 1966.

------------------

Li Ka-shing (Chairman, Hutchison Whampoa)

"We are approaching a new age of synthesis. Knowledge cannot be merely a degree or a skill... it demands a broader vision, capabilities in critical thinking and logical deduction without which we cannot have constructive progress.” — Financial Expert Witness Communication: A Practical Guide to Reporting and Testimony, 2014.

================

Virginia Rometty (Chairman and CEO, IBM)

“Your value will be not what you know; it will be what you share." — Council on Foreign Relations event, 2013.

====================

Donald Trump (President and CEO, Trump Organization Inc.)

“In the end, you're measured not by how much you undertake but by what you finally accomplish." — Trump : The Art of the Deal, 1987.

===============

Larry Page (Co-founder, Google)

“You don’t need to have a 100-person company to develop that idea.” — Interview with BusinessWeek Online Technology, 2001.

=================

Henry Ford (Founder, The Ford Motor Company)

"A business that makes nothing but money is a poor business." — Quoted in News Journal, 1965.

====================

Jack Welch (Former chairman and CEO, General Electric)

“Arrogance is a killer, and wearing ambition on one's sleeve can have the same effect. There is a fine line between arrogance and self-confidence.” — Jack: Straight from the Gut, 2001.

================

Indra Nooyi (CEO, PepsiCo)

"Just because you are CEO, don't think you have landed. You must continually increase your learning, the way you think, and the way you approach the organization. I've never forgotten that."

- Book: No Fear of Failure: Real Stories of How Leaders Deal with Risk and Change

image.png

PG Vargis

Dec 19, 2015, 5:30:08 PM12/19/15
to leadershiptip...@googlegroups.com

Inline image 1A leader is like a river. Starts as a small stream. But gathers on the way other streams and becomes a mighty river – feeding people, cattle and agricultural lands and nourishing forests. It never stops working – day and night. A river exists for others and then vanishes.  You can be a Pampa river of Kerala or Ganges of India or Amazon. The choice is yours.

P G Vargis

Leadership note. Grow with me.

And share this with others. Let the world grow.

============================

"The certainty of misery is better than the

misery of uncertainty."

Change can be scary. Who knows what radical extremists are going to do next? Who can predict where Wall Street is headed? And who knows the future of a thousand different issues?

Despite the difficulty of not knowing the exact changes headed our way, if you’re leading a family, a team, or a company, people expect you to lead them through the change.  Indeed, it’s one of the four tasks that every leader has to master. I talk about those four tasks in my new program, 4C Leadership: Communication, Cooperation, Change, and Commitment. Mastering change for yourself, however, will mean better results for the people you’re leading.

Here are a few things you need to do:

1. Don’t Beat Yourself Up.

In most cases, you can’t predict with absolute certainty all the changes that are going to come your way. That’s the very nature of change – it’s somewhat unpredictable.

For example, who could have predicted the change in fashion? These days, it’s fashionable for some kids to wear their clothing tags on the outside, their hats backwards, and their pants down.

Or who could have predicted the change in behaviors? Do you remember when safe sex meant your parents did not find out? Now some parents “equip” their kids for sex.

Likewise, who could have predicted the change in the marketplace? The great movie mogul, Harry Warner, couldn’t. In 1922, he said, “Who the hell wants to hear actors talk?”

The founder of IBM, Tom Watson, Senior, couldn’t. In 1943, he said, “I think there is a world market for about five computers.” And Ken Olsen, the President of the Digital Equipment Corporation, couldn’t. In 1973, he said, “There is no reason for anyone to have a computer in his house.”

So don’t beat yourself up for not being able to predict the changes that you and the people around you will have to deal with. After all, there’s a reason you’re called a “leader” instead of a “fortune teller.”

Remember,

2. Your Most Important Task Is to Keep Hope Alive.

You need to project an optimistic view of the future. Your colleagues need to know that you believe a better day is coming. But you also need to give a realistic assessment of the obstacles that must be overcome in order to reach that better day.

That means you must…

3. Keep People Informed.

You must tell them as much as you can as often as you can.

In downsizing environments, levels of uncertainty run high among employees. So, as a leader, you’ve got to reduce their confusion…even if that means sharing some bad news. As I tell my audiences,

“The certainty of misery is better than the misery of uncertainty.”

People need, and deserve, lots of information about what’s happening, why it’s happening, and what the next steps will be. And your information sharing has to be immediate. Not doing so allows the rumor mill to churn out any number of ridiculous stories that do nothing but increase stress and decrease motivation.

So keep your people informed of each action that is being taken as well as the results of all previous actions.

4. Tell the Truth.

If you try to relieve employees’ misery by saying things will calm down after the reorganization, you may be heading for trouble. You may be misleading your employees. The next time your organization announces a change, your employees’ trust will take a nosedive. Employees need to be taught how to handle the change, instead of being told it will soon be over.

On the other hand,

5. Continue to Reassure People with Your Presence.

Be visible. In times of change, seeing and hearing the leader is important. Too often the managers or leaders will only meet with other senior people, or they will disappear behind closed doors. Employees need to see and hear their bosses. So be accessible. Be available for questions.

Dr. Bev Smallwood has done some fascinating research on “magnetic workplaces,” workplaces that do the best job of retaining the best employees. She has found that 60 to 70% of retention is directly linked to management behavior. In particular, managers that spend time with their employees (meaning those who build relationships with their employees), keep their employees.

You can also…

6. Reiterate Your Belief in Your People.

Remind them of their talents. Let them know you believe in them and their abilities.

Just don’t be crass about it. Don’t be like the one situation I heard about. The supervisor told her boss, “Here’s my list of reasons why I can’t run my department on this budget.” Her manager replied, “Well, here’s my list of people who can.”

You can also keep your people motivated in times of change if you …

7. Cut and Simplify the Work.

If you’ve gone through downsizing, you’ve probably cut the workplace but not the workload. Something’s got to give.

There’s a time when “doing more with less” makes a lot of sense, but there’s also a time when it’s just plain ridiculous. There comes a point when “doing more with less” is not only impossible, it’s absolutely demoralizing to keep saying it.

So what can you do?

Well, you can’t just pretend things are the same. But you can reorder priorities on a task-by-task basis. You can cut extraneous tasks, forms, and procedures. You can encourage your associates to take shortcuts in non-critical, routine areas in order to make time for more important items. And you can allow your associates to collaborate and figure out how the extra work will be handled. In fact, the sense of teamwork that comes out of collaboration can be a great motivator.

That’s what Ameritech did. People from corporate headquarters went from office to office, from department to department, in one city after another. They would hold up several different reports and asked the field people if they needed these reports. By listening to their field people, they were able to cut out 6,000,000 pages of reports that no one needed and no one read. It made the field people feel empowered and recognized, but it also cut out a number of their less important tasks.

While very few people really like change, we all know deep down that all progress is the result of change. Use these tips to lead your people through the change with less stress and better results.

Final Thought: The certainty of misery is better than the

misery of uncertainty.

image.png

PG Vargis

Dec 24, 2015, 5:30:07 PM12/24/15
to leadershiptip...@googlegroups.com

Inline image 1A leader is like a river. Starts as a small stream. But gathers on the way other streams and becomes a mighty river – feeding people, cattle and agricultural lands and nourishing forests. It never stops working – day and night. A river exists for others and then vanishes.  You can be a Pampa river of Kerala or Ganges of India or Amazon. The choice is yours.

P G Vargis

Leadership note. Grow with me.

And share this with others. Let the world grow.

============================

4 Temptations That Leaders Face

I’m troubled each time I see a gifted and talented leader give up a lifetime of ministry for a moment of temptation. We all face temptation, and saying no is not always easy. None of us as leaders will escape this challenge. But how you handle your temptation will determine, to a great degree, the effectiveness and longevity of your ministry.

James 4:7-8 helps us know what to do.

"Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Come near to God and he will come near to you."

Let’s begin with three important questions:

What is your greatest temptation?

If you know it, you can fight against it.

Do you have a safe friend or two with whom you can be honest?

Confession is good for the soul and accountability helps keep you honest.

Do you know that God is on your side?

God does not condemn you or me for our struggles, but He does want us to fight to live a holy life.

I will admit that I’m not sure all temptation is from the devil. I’m not convinced it’s all spiritual warfare. I think some of this is part of being human and imperfect, and we can take credit for it ourselves. I don’t need to start a theological debate. If you prefer to make temptation a wholly spiritual issue by asserting that we are spiritual beings, I’m good with that. If you choose to make it fully a spiritual thing by taking it back to Genesis chapter 3, I can handle that too. My purpose here is to offer practical helps.

Temptation seems to be naturally grouped into four categories for church leaders. If you know the potential temptation, you are more likely to see it coming and proactively resist what tempts you. That’s the goal here. Let’s name the temptations, own what is ours, and intentionally resist.

1. Pressure Temptations

As your ministry grows, gains complexity and the demands increase, pressure rises. When pressure rises and your margin decreases, you can be an easy target for pressure temptations. Here are three common examples. Are any of these danger zones for you?

•       Loss of integrity. For example, you can be tempted to over-exaggerate something in a message you teach. Or perhaps you might bend under financial pressure to use monies designated for one thing for a completely different purpose.

•       Cut corners. Time pressures, for example, might cause you to knock out a sermon on Saturday night and show up on Sunday morning sounding unprepared.

•       Inappropriate anger. Pressure in your life can cause leaders to be impatient, harsh or even angry with others with no legitimate reason.

2. Power Temptations

I’m happy to say that this temptation seems to be less common in the local church than perhaps twenty years ago. That’s a good thing, but it still lurks about and is a real possibility for any of us. Here are three common examples. Are any of these traps for you?

•       Manipulate people. Using authority or position to control or take advantage of people rather than serve them.

•       Live under different standards. Rising “above the law” so that the leader lives by a different set of rules than others are held accountable to.

•       Become a controlling person. All leaders exercise control for the good of the organization. This is very different than a leader becoming a controlling leader and holding people down or even getting dangerously close to oppressing the people.

3. Purity Temptations

It’s difficult to escape the dominant presence of the internet and all the temptations that lie within. Nearly anything is available with the ease of a click. This is a huge temptation. But not all purity temptations are online. The following are three common examples.

•       Thought life not in check. Temptation begins in the mind. Scripture says to take every thought captive, but we know that is not always easy. Philippians 4:8 says: . . . whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.

•       Marital faithfulness in question. We all know stories of friends who have lost their marriages and in many cases lost their ministry too. It’s heartbreaking and can happen to anyone. This temptation is never worth it!

•       “Innocent” flirting. A wise counselor once said to a group of us pastors, “Young men, beware of innocent flirting, for there is no such thing.” How true! What starts innocently, even while working together in ministry, can end in disaster.

4. People Temptations

This last category is not often included within the topic of temptation. It is therefore overlooked, even though it is likely among the most common of temptations that a church leader will face. We work with and serve people everyday, and these common temptations are always with us. Here are three common examples:

•       People pleasing. This often finds its origin in a genuine heart to serve others. But sometimes that can slowly slip into behavior that is less than genuine, and a performance-orientation can begin to take over, instead of being purpose driven.

•       Critical spirit. Even the most loving of pastors and volunteer church leaders can lose perspective under all the demands of ministry. Then instead of loving the heart becomes critical.

•       Lack of forgiveness. Leaders get hurt too. When hurt enough the heart can become hardened and forgiveness is hard to find.

The good news in all this is that we can resist! Though difficult, we can say no to temptation. We can get wisdom and encouragement from a friend. And we can rest knowing that when we slip, our Father in heaven is for us! Each day is a new day and a fresh start.

“Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.” Matt 26:41

image.png

PG Vargis

Dec 31, 2015, 5:30:08 PM12/31/15
to leadershiptip...@googlegroups.com

Inline image 1A leader is like a river. Starts as a small stream. But gathers on the way other streams and becomes a mighty river – feeding people, cattle and agricultural lands and nourishing forests. It never stops working – day and night. A river exists for others and then vanishes.  You can be a Pampa river of Kerala or Ganges of India or Amazon. The choice is yours.

P G Vargis

Leadership note. Grow with me.

And share this with others. Let the world grow.

============================

Bless And Do Not Curse

ROMANS 12:14 NLT 14 Bless those who persecute you. Don't curse them; pray that God will bless them.

(Fallen) human nature retaliates. If someone wrongs us, we want revenge.

But children of God, who have the love of God in their hearts, should act differently (Romans 5:5).

1 PETER 3:9 NLT 9 Don't repay evil for evil. Don't retaliate with insults when people insult you. Instead, pay them back with a blessing. That is what God has called you to do, and he will bless you for it.

We have been delivered from the power of darkness and placed in the Kingdom of Love, where Jesus is Lord (Colossians 1:13). Our King desires that all people be blessed (John 3:16, 1 Timothy 2:4, 2 Peter 3:9).

God loves the whole world. We are His representatives to give them that message (2 Corinthians 5:18-21). We cannot win the world by cursing them. We are supposed to love them.

JOHN 13:34 NLT 34 So now I am giving you a new commandment: Love each other. Just as I have loved you, you should love each other.

We are to love as Jesus loved. Even when treated badly, He never cursed those who mistreated Him.

LUKE 23:34a NLT 34 Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't know what they are doing."

People do evil because they are trapped in spiritual darkness. Our only real enemy is the devil and his forces, not people.

EPHESIANS 6:12 NLT 12 For we are not fighting against flesh-and-blood enemies, but against evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against mighty powers in this dark world, and against evil spirits in the heavenly places.

Just as Jesus was mistreated, we will not avoid being mistreated in this life.

JOHN 15:17-21 NLT 17 This is my command: Love each other. 18 "If the world hates you, remember that it hated me first. 19 The world would love you as one of its own if you belonged to it, but you are no longer part of the world. I chose you to come out of the world, so it hates you. 20 Do you remember what I told you? 'A slave is not greater than the master.' Since they persecuted me, naturally they will persecute you. And if they had listened to me, they would listen to you. 21 They will do all this to you because of me, for they have rejected the One who sent me.

1 PETER 2:19-23 NLT 19 For God is pleased with you when you do what you know is right and patiently endure unfair treatment. 20 Of course, you get no credit for being patient if you are beaten for doing wrong. But if you suffer for doing good and endure it patiently, God is pleased with you. 21 For God called you to do good, even if it means suffering, just as Christ suffered for you. He is your example, and you must follow in his steps. 22 He never sinned, nor ever deceived anyone. 23 He did not retaliate when he was insulted, nor threaten revenge when he suffered. He left his case in the hands of God, who always judges fairly.

We can expect to suffer the same things Jesus did in life, primarily rejection and mistreatment. (Note that Jesus never suffered sickness or lack during His life, until He died on the cross for us.)

Yet in all this, we can rejoice, knowing that God our Father is just, and He will protect us and reward us for doing His will.

SAY THIS: God loves me, so I can love others, even when they act unlovely.

image.png

PG Vargis

Jan 7, 2016, 5:30:10 PM1/7/16
to leadershiptip...@googlegroups.com

Inline image 1

A leader is like a river. Starts as a small stream. But gathers on the way other streams and becomes a mighty river – feeding people, cattle and agricultural lands and nourishing forests. It never stops working – day and night. A river exists for others and then vanishes.  You can be a Pampa river of Kerala or Ganges of India or Amazon. The choice is yours.

P G Vargis

Leadership note. Grow with me.

And share this with others. Let the world grow.

============================

How should I respond to failures and setbacks?

When the men of Israel returned in defeat from Ai, Joshua needed some answers and so turned immediately to prayer. He tore his garments, an act of grief, and fell on his face in humiliation before the ark of the covenant until nightfall. All of the elders joined him. Joshua cried out to God, "O Lord GOD, why did You ever bring this people over the Jordan, only to deliver us into the hand of the Amorites, to destroy us?" (Joshua 7:7).

Joshua asked the wrong question - a question many of us ask when unexpected trouble strikes. Often our first impulse is to ask why or to blame God for the tragedy or problem that overwhelms us. We cry out, "Why me? What did I do to deserve this? Why did You allow me to get into this mess?" Though all of us have asked them, these are not the right questions. When difficulty comes, we need to ask the Lord one question: "What do You want me to learn in this situation?" We can express our hurt or frustration, but the bottom line must always be one of surrender and openness to His will for us.

Sometimes, we may need to change a habit or correct a bad attitude. Or perhaps we need to deal with some area of sin or poor judgment. When Joshua stopped pouring out his frustration, God said, "Rise up! Why is it that you have fallen on your face? Israel has sinned, and they have also transgressed My covenant which I commanded them...Therefore the sons of Israel cannot stand before their enemies" (Joshua 7:10-12).

When we go to the Lord in prayer, we must be willing to hear what He says. Often, we don't stop to listen to Him. We must learn to wait to hear His response when we voice our petitions.

This is especially true when we pray in the aftermath of a setback or defeat. It is also vitally important when we are tempted to blame God or become angry over our troubles. We must be willing to accept His assessment of our situation, which often includes Him correcting an ungodly behavior or attitude within us.

Once the Lord reveals to us what we need to do, nothing more needs to be said. We must accept God's will and immediately move to obey Him. Our obedience may include asking Him to forgive us and to help us to obey Him in the future. It may also require that we make amends or take specific actions that will help right the wrong. Whatever the case, our submission to His direction must follow quickly.

PART II

7 Ways a Pastor Gets--and Keeps--Respect

Author: Ron Edmondson

Ron Edmondson: "Many times it’s the seemingly small things which cause the most damage to a leader’s reputation and damages respect.”

People follow people they trust. They trust people they respect.

As a leader, one of your most valuable and needed assets is the respect of the people you are trying to lead. If a leader is respected, people will follow him or her almost anywhere.   If a leader looses respect it becomes very difficult to regain respect.

Often a new leader is given respect because of his or her position as a leader, but respect can be quickly lost due to performance. Many times it’s the seemingly small things which cause the most damage to a leader’s reputation and damages respect.

I have found with a few simple (some not so simple) acts help protect the respect a leader enjoys.

Here are 7 ways to maintain respect as a leader:

Be responsive. Return phone calls and emails promptly. Be accessible to real people. You may not always be available, but you can create systems where people are genuinely valued and heard.

Be consistent. Do what you say you will do. Let your yes be yes and your no be no. Don’t tell people what they want to hear, but speak grace and truth in all circumstances. Let people learn to trust you are a person of your word and can be depended upon based on what you say.

Have high character. Act with integrity. Be honest. Protect your moral credibility. Be transparent and open to challenge. Allow a few people to know the real you and speak into the dark places of your life.

Be fair to everyone. Don’t be too harsh. Don’t be too soft. Treat everyone with respect. Genuinely love people. (People know when you do or don’t.)

Keep growing. Learn continually and encourage growth in yourself and others. Ask questions. Be teachable. Read. Observe. Glean from others and experience.

Have good work ethic. I personally think leaders should work as hard or harder than others on their team. But, having a good work ethic doesn’t mean over-working either. It’s working smart and setting a good example for others to follow.

Be courageous. Make hard decisions. Don’t shy away from conflict. Know who you are in Christ and live boldly the calling God places on your life. Live with the aim to finish well — in spite of the obstacles you encounter.

Maintaining respect is a matter of acting in a respectable way. How are you doing? You may want to ask the ones you are supposed to be leading.

What would you add to my list?

image.png

PG Vargis

Jan 15, 2016, 5:30:10 PM1/15/16
to leadershiptip...@googlegroups.com

Inline image 1

A leader is like a river. Starts as a small stream. But gathers on the way other streams and becomes a mighty river – feeding people, cattle and agricultural lands and nourishing forests. It never stops working – day and night. A river exists for others and then vanishes.  You can be a Pampa river of Kerala or Ganges of India or Amazon. The choice is yours.

P G Vargis

Leadership note. Grow with me.

And share this with others. Let the world grow.

============================

          PART I      DEVOTIONAL MESSAGE (COPIED)

Disobedience Is The Seed For curse and Tragedy. You must develop a hatred for evil. You Can Only Conquer What You Hate. Take a moment to note that millions of babies are murdered by abortion. Thousands have splattered their blood on our highways because of alcoholism. Thousands more are destroyed through drugs. Hundreds of women and children daily. Only Some are caught and only some of them are sent to the prison and the rets walk free – but the majority of culprits are not caught. The planet earth has become unpleasant to live and enjoy life. Many married coupes do not want to birth children into this troublesome world. All of these are results of disobedience. Determine to obey. Walk toward God. Toward righteousness. You will never regret it.

PART II

There are four types of managers in the present world corporations.

Type 1. He will see what he can do for the corporation and do it without any one telling him what to do. He will also go to the boss and ask whether there is anything in his mind that ‘I can do’?

Type 2. He will go when the boss will call him and take note and see that it is done.

Type 3. He will wait for his boss to come and tell him what the boss wants him to do. He will note it down and get it done.

Type 4. The boss will go to his office and see that he is not there. When thus type of manger will know that the boss has a difficult job, he decides to disappear till the boss will find another person and get the job done.

Which type are you?

What type of managers you have with you?

image.png

PG Vargis

Jan 21, 2016, 5:30:09 PM1/21/16
to leadershiptip...@googlegroups.com

Inline image 1

A leader is like a river. Starts as a small stream. But gathers on the way other streams and becomes a mighty river – feeding people, cattle and agricultural lands and nourishing forests. It never stops working – day and night. A river exists for others and then vanishes.  You can be a Pampa river of Kerala or Ganges of India or Amazon. The choice is yours.

P G Vargis

Leadership note. Grow with me.

And share this with others. Let the world grow.

============================

          PART I      DEVOTIONAL MESSAGE (COPIED)

Expect Rescue. Adversity is just a page, not your whole book. Adversity is simply hell’s attempt to abort the next season of blessing God has scheduled for your life. The eyes of your Father are upon you. If your rescue and deliverance, promotion and elevation is delayed:

Focus On Fasting. Adversity is a season of unusual attack. So, consider using unusual weapons. Fasting is a feared weapon in battle. It is a tool that sharpens your spiritual sensitivity to God. Use it.

“Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke?” (Isaiah 58:6).

PART II

5 Keys to Getting Through Conflict

"Make sure you resist the very tempting, almost overwhelming, desire to fight fire with fire."

Talk to a senior citizen about changes they've seen in communication the last 75 years, and you'll hear dismay in their voices. They'll describe a time when a child would never think of sassing back a parent and an employee would never think of using the coffee break as a time to rip apart the boss. They'll describe a time when respect for elders and respect for authority were simply a given.

Unfortunately, times have changed. Common courtesy is not so common anymore. Disrespect has flourished, and in some cases, disrespect is esteemed as a sign of cleverness or assertiveness.

Nothing could be further from the truth. Disrespect is still as dehumanizing and inappropriate as ever.

Obviously, there are times you've got to confront others. But disrespect is not the way to go.  So how do you get through a conflict … respectfully and constructively?

I address that in my new program, The Power of Partnership:  7 Keys to Better Relationships and Greater Teamwork.  You can get an outline of the program by clicking here, should you want to bring me onsite to deliver the program in person.

Here are a few tips, however, that will help you resolve any interpersonal problem.

1.  Think before you speak.

Take time to cool down and gather your thoughts.  After all, the first screw that often works loose in a person's head is the one that holds the tongue in place.  You need to make sure that your comments are going to be helpful rather than rude.

2.  Be direct.

Forget the hinting, indirect approach. It seldom works.

I remember one woman who talked about a light bulb going out in her ten-foot high kitchen ceiling. All week she mentioned the problem to her husband. She even tucked a flashlight under her chin while doing dishes to give him a hint. Finally she yelled, "Why haven't you replaced the bulb?" He said, "You didn't ask me."

On a personal level, men and women often have difficulty hearing what the other wants if they don't receive a clear, direct request. The same is true with coworkers.

So try this. To be direct, say, "I have a problem." Explain why you're upset, and then say what you'd like the other person to do to be of help.

3.  Refrain from sarcasm.

It makes the other person the butt of your jokes and the object of your scorn. It puts him down instead of lifting him up and that will always make your interpersonal problems more difficult to resolve.

Of course, this may not be an easy tip to follow.  If you’re like a lot of people, you’ve been brainwashed into thinking sarcasm is okay.  After all, almost every TV sitcom and reality program has glamorized sarcasm as cute, clever, and funny, and so you hear one put down after another.

Just last night, for example, as I was looking for something to watch on TV, I heard one character in a program tell another, "I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter."

Flipping through the channels I heard numerous examples of sarcasm.  One man said, “I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem."

On another program, a woman said, "Love is blind, but marriage is a real eye opener." Her partner responded, “Love is grand but divorce is a hundred grand."

Some of the commercials are just as bad, using sarcasm that implies disrespect.  One ad for a plumbing company said, "Don't sleep with a drip. Call your plumber." I admit it was clever, but I also wondered about the put downs some spouses might give each other when their attempted home repairs don’t work out.

So refuse to use sarcasm, no matter how clever you sound or how much you want to say it. Sarcasm may be okay for the sitcoms and the occasional laugh, but just remember, sitcoms aren't reality. In the world you and I live in, sarcasm only makes things worse.

4.  Stay professional.

Even when the other person doesn't deserve it, even if the discussion is not going well, continue to behave respectfully. Not only will you feel good about yourself afterwards, but it also works most of the time.

Just make the decision to speak with decorum no matter how angry or frustrated you are. If you let yourself blow up, people will not feel safe around you. Their fear of your unpredictability will keep them at a distance or ducking behind psychological walls. And, if that happens, nothing will ever get resolved.

If you have difficulty staying professional, try this.  The next time you feel like you're losing it, see your situation as a chance to practice self-control. Remind yourself that the more you practice the better you'll get. You'll find it easier to remain calm when the tension is high.

Just make sure you resist the very tempting, almost overwhelming, desire to fight fire with fire. It's like the fellow who was seated in the movie theatre when a large woman wanted to be seated in his row also. The man stood up so she could get through, but she stepped on his foot.

The man screamed in pain and said, "Why don't you look where you're going?"

The large woman turned on him. "Why don't you," she huffed, "put that foot of yours where it belongs?"

"Don't tempt me, lady," snapped the man. "Don't tempt me."

You need to stay professional, and you need to…

5.  Work towards understanding.

In most conflict situations, it’s very easy to get sucked into an argument as to who’s right and who’s wrong.  Don’t do it.  It doesn't work and it doesn’t matter. Oftentimes, both parties are "right".

For example, if I hold up a glass of water in front of my audience and ask them what they see, I'll get a variety of answers. Some will say it's half full and others will say it's half empty. Someone else will say it's a glass while another one says it's a tumbler. Of course they would all be "right."

Instead of wasting your energy on who's right, work towards understanding instead. And one of the best ways to do that is to use the three magical words, "Help me understand." Those words will help the two of you move closer to resolution.

As you do that, clarify, clarify, and clarify some more. Don't assume anything. When you're not exactly sure of something, seek clarification until you are. Paraphrase each other's comments, asking such things as "Are you saying... So what you want is...?"

Final Thought:  People who fight fire with fire usually end up with ashes.

image.png

PG Vargis

Jan 28, 2016, 5:30:11 PM1/28/16
to leadershiptip...@googlegroups.com

Inline image 1

A leader is like a river. Starts as a small stream. But gathers on the way other streams and becomes a mighty river – feeding people, cattle and agricultural lands and nourishing forests. It never stops working – day and night. A river exists for others and then vanishes.  You can be a Pampa river of Kerala or Ganges of India or Amazon. The choice is yours.

P G Vargis

Leadership note. Grow with me.

And share this with others. Let the world grow.

============================

          PART I      DEVOTIONAL MESSAGE (COPIED)

A leader must not lie. If you ever lied, those who heard will not trust you ever. They will doubt. They will tell others that they have proof that you lie. So don’t ever lie. However if you ever lied, don’t try to defend. Accept your folly. If there is a reason as why you lied, confess it. People will honor you more.

2. A leader must watch that the devil does not get an opportunity to spread a sex scandal about you. Protect yourself. Adultry is the only subject mentioned twice in Ten Commandments.

3. The third sting of the devil is mismanagement of finance. Have proper accounts. There must not be unaccounted money – all expense and receipts must be accounted.

4. The 4th: Anger. If you fail to control your anger, go for an anger management course. Get help. Don’t be shy to confess your problem. There are some who gets flared up so fast and react. (a) They walk out (b) or quit. (c) They go to sleep without eating dinner in the house.

Get help.

PART II

Speedy Morris was the basketball coach at LaSalle

and they were having a pretty good season. One morning,

he was shaving and the phone rang. His wife answered

it and called out to him that Sports Illustrated wanted

to talk to him.

Coach Morris was excited that his team was apparently

about to receive national recognition in this famous

sports magazine. As a matter of fact, he was so

 excited that he cut himself with his razor.

Covered with blood and shaving lather and running

downstairs to the phone, he tripped and fell down the

stairs. Finally, bleeding and bruised, he made it to

the phone and breathlessly said, "Hello"?

The voice on the other end asked,

"Is this Speedy Morris"?

"Yes, yes!" he replied excitedly. Then the voice

continued, "Mr. Morris, for just seventy-five cents

an issue, we can give you a one-year subscription to

Sports Illustrated."

image.png

PG Vargis

Feb 4, 2016, 5:30:09 PM2/4/16
to leadershiptip...@googlegroups.com

Inline image 1A leader is like a river. Starts as a small stream. But gathers on the way other streams and becomes a mighty river – feeding people, cattle and agricultural lands and nourishing forests. It never stops working – day and night. A river exists for others and then vanishes.  You can be a Pampa river of Kerala or Ganges of India or Amazon. The choice is yours.

P G Vargis

Leadership note. Grow with me.

And share this with others. Let the world grow.

============================

          PART I      DEVOTIONAL MESSAGE (COPIED)

How to Lead Like Jesus

Few people have influenced the day-to-day management of people and companies more than Ken Blanchard. In 1982, he wrote The One Minute Manager, which has sold more than 13 million copies. The book was so successful in such a short period of time that he had trouble taking credit for its success. He began to think about God. He started to read the Bible. He went straight to the Gospels. He wanted to know what Jesus did.

He became fascinated with how Jesus transformed twelve ordinary, and unlikely, people into the first generation of leaders of a movement that continues to affect the course of world history 2,000 years later. He became aware that everything he had ever taught or written about effective leadership, Jesus had done to perfection way beyond Ken’s ability to portray or describe.

Jesus was more than just a spiritual leader. He gives a practical and effective leadership model for all organisations, for all people, for all situations. As a result, Ken Blanchard co-founded the ‘Lead Like Jesus’ ministry to inspire and equip people to do exactly that – lead like Jesus.

Jesus was the greatest leader of all time. In the passages for today we see some of the characteristics of Jesus’ leadership together with those of two other great people in the Bible – David and Job.

PSALM 18:1-6

1. A leader’s worship

David was one of the greatest leaders in the history of Israel. He also wrote some of the most beautiful songs of worship ever written. Thousands of years later the Psalms of David continue to be used in worship by God’s people.

In this psalm we see that David’s worship and prayer was the bedrock on which his leadership was founded. In the midst of difficulties and opposition he says, ‘I called to the Lord, I cried to my God for help’ (v.6). The result was a great reversal in circumstances followed by success, which led David to express his thanksgiving in song.

Whether in difficulty or success, follow David’s example by seeking to build your life on the foundation of prayer and worship.

The starting point of worship is love for God: ‘I love you fervently and devotedly, O Lord, my Strength’ (v.1, AMP). David goes on to express his love, praise and thanksgiving to God. He faced enemies (v.3b), death and destruction (vv.4–5) and distress (v.6a). When he looks back he can see how God heard his cry and saved him from his enemies (vv.3–6).

For the last few years I have written down a list of cries ‘for help’ (v.6a) in the margins of my Bible in One Year. It is amazing to see the ways in which God has heard my cry. So many of the prayers (although not all quite yet) have been answered. Keeping a record helps me not to forget to thank God.

O Lord, my strength, thank you so much for the many times when I have called to you for help and you have heard my voice. With all the challenges ahead, again I cry to you for help…

MATTHEW 21:1-17

2. A leader’s characteristics

What does it mean, in practice, to ‘lead like Jesus’?

•       Lead from who you are more than your position

Who you are is far more important than what you do or what you have, in terms of possessions or position. Jesus’ authority did not come from having a high position in some hierarchy. It came from who he was as a person. He had a natural authority. He had total confidence that all he needed to say was, ‘the Lord needs them’ (v.3). No threats or promises were required.

•       Be gentle and unassuming

‘Your king comes to you, gentle…’ (v.5). This is not a characteristic of leadership that the world expects. Yet it was right at the heart of Jesus’ leadership. The Greek word for ‘gentle’ means considerate, unassuming. It is the opposite of aggressive or self-seeking.

•       Avoid arrogance and ostentation

Jesus entered Jerusalem on a donkey. What a contrast to so many other leaders in history, secular and religious, who have travelled with pomp and ceremony and ostentatious entourages. Jesus’ mode of transport was a sign of great humility. It is the opposite of pride and arrogance, which can so easily creep into human leadership.

•       Have the courage to confront

People sometimes think that gentleness and humility mean giving way in every situation, but Jesus was not afraid of confrontation. He ‘entered the temple area and drove out all who were buying and selling there. He overturned the tables of the money-changers’ (v.12). One of the hardest aspects of leadership is to know the right moment for confrontation.

•       Conflict and confrontation are a necessary part of good leadership. Failure to confront is in itself a decision with consequences. Confrontation is never easy, but, wisely applied, it is a necessary part of courageous leadership.

•       Seek spiritual, not worldly power

The power of Jesus was so different from many of the leaders in the world. ‘The blind and the lame came to him at the temple, and he healed them’ (v.14). Spiritual power is far more important than earthly power. It cannot be manufactured. It can only come from the kind of relationship Jesus had with God.

•       Make prayer your number one priority

In Jesus’ confrontation with the money-changers we see how passionate he was about prayer (v.13). Throughout the Gospels, we read of Jesus withdrawing (v.17) to be on his own with God. This was the source of his strength. Like with David, prayer was at the heart of Jesus’ leadership.

Lord, help me to lead like Jesus with authority, gentleness, humility, courage and power. Like Jesus, may my strength come from my personal relationship with you.

JOB 19:1-21:34

3. A leader’s perspective

Job’s friends continue talking ‘nonsense’ and ‘a tissue of lies’ (21:34, MSG). They attempt to comfort Job with ‘empty and futile words’ (v.34, AMP).

On the other hand, we see Job’s real struggle with his own suffering. As opposed to the simplistic analysis of his friends, he sees that the world is very complex. In this life there are many injustices. He cries out, ‘Why do the wicked live on, growing old and increasing in power?… They spend their years in prosperity and go down to the grave in peace’ (vv.7,13).

Don’t be surprised that sometimes there are those who completely reject God. They say to him: ‘Leave us alone! We have no desire to know your ways. Who is the Almighty, that we should serve him? What would we gain by praying to him?’ (vv.14–15). Yet they appear to live lives of prosperity and peace.

The Bible never says that ‘the wicked’ will receive justice in this life. Sometimes they do, but at other times they seem to get away with it. Don’t be surprised if you see ‘the wicked’ spending their years in prosperity. Don’t be surprised if you see ‘the innocent’ suffering. God seems to allow both in this life. (This is not to say that we should ever be complacent about injustice or the suffering of the innocent, but rather do all in our power to combat both.)

However, this life is not the end. God has all eternity to put things right. Job glimpses – in a way almost unique in the Old Testament – our future hope:

‘I know that my redeemer lives,

and that in the end he will stand upon the earth.

And after my skin has been destroyed,

yet in my flesh I will see God’ (19:25–26).

Job’s insight foreshadows the New Testament hope of resurrection and eternal life. A godly leader has an eternal perspective, which gives a totally different dimension to Christian leadership.

Imagine someone important coming to visit your home. You would probably do a number of things to get ready. You would get yourself ready. You would ensure others in the house were ready, and you would ensure that the house itself was ready, looking clean and tidy.

A Christian leader has an eternal perspective and hope that, ‘In the end [my redeemer] will stand upon the earth’ (v.25). Focus on getting yourself ready, getting others ready (evangelisation, discipleship and pastoral care) and getting the house ready (the revitalisation of the church and the transformation of society). These concerns are not just confined to church leaders. Christian leaders in all spheres of work and society should have these three underlying dimensions embedded in their thoughts, their decisions and their actions.

Furthermore, this perspective should transform your attitude towards your plans and goals. When situations do not work out as hoped, due to the injustice of individuals or organisations or systems, you can still trust in the fact that one day, total justice will prevail.

Lord, thank you that one day I will ‘see God myself, with my very own eyes. Oh, how I long for that day!’ (v.27, MSG). Help me to live each day with this eternal perspective. Help me to become more like Jesus and to lead more like Jesus.

PART II

I wrote today this message:

[...]

PG Vargis

Feb 6, 2016, 12:08:45 AM2/6/16
to leadershiptip...@googlegroups.com

Inline image 1A leader is like a river. Starts as a small stream. But gathers on the way other streams and becomes a mighty river – feeding people, cattle and agricultural lands and nourishing forests. It never stops working – day and night. A river exists for others and then vanishes.  You can be a Pampa river of Kerala or Ganges of India or Amazon. The choice is yours.

P G Vargis

Leadership note. Grow with me.

And share this with others. Let the world grow.

============================

Take A Tiny Step Toward Your Lifetime Goal Today. Champions are those who are willing to move forward an inch at a time. Stay in movement today. Break down your goal into many small steps. Progress creates joy. Two things are more important than your money. Your energy and your time. Identify time-wasters, those who diminish your energy... and limit their access to you. Small steps matter.

         “For who hath despised the day of small things?” (Zechariah 4:10).

 Worth watching. Result of team work. Cut/paste. click.

 https://www.facebook.com/DailyIndianHeraldnews/videos/534302100063424/?pnref=story

PG Vargis

Feb 11, 2016, 5:29:59 PM2/11/16
to leadershiptip...@googlegroups.com

Inline image 1

A leader is like a river. Starts as a small stream. But gathers on the way other streams and becomes a mighty river – feeding people, cattle and agricultural lands and nourishing forests. It never stops working – day and night. A river exists for others and then vanishes.  You can be a Pampa river of Kerala or Ganges of India or Amazon. The choice is yours.

P G Vargis

Leadership note. Grow with me.

And share this with others. Let the world grow.

============================

          PART I      DEVOTIONAL MESSAGE (COPIED)

3 The Holy Spirit: The Need for Illumination

But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.—1 Corinthians 2:14

The doctrine of the inability of the human mind and the need for divine illumination is so fully developed in the New Testament that it is nothing short of astonishing that we should have gone so far astray about the whole thing. Fundamentalism has stood aloof from the Liberal in self-conscious superiority and has on its own part fallen into error, the error of textualism, which is simply orthodoxy without the Holy Ghost. Everywhere among Conservatives we find persons who are Bible-taught but not Spirit-taught. They conceive truth to be something which they can grasp with the mind. If a man hold to the fundamentals of the Christian faith he is thought to possess divine truth. But it does not follow. There is no truth apart from the Spirit. The most brilliant intellect may be imbecilic when confronted with the mysteries of God. For a man to understand revealed truth requires an act of God equal to the original act which inspired the text....

Conservative Christians in this day are stumbling over this truth. We need to re-examine the whole thing. We need to learn that truth consists not in correct doctrine, but in correct doctrine plus the inward enlightenment of the Holy Spirit. We must declare again the mystery of wisdom from above. A re-preachment of this vital truth could result in a fresh breath from God upon a stale and suffocating orthodoxy. The Pursuit of Man, 76-77,84.

"Lord, I do believe in the authority of the Scriptures, and thank You for that foundation of truth. But I need this reminder that even that inspired text is not alive until the Holy Spirit takes it and enlightens the recipients. May the Holy Spirit indeed take what I teach and imbed it in the hearts and minds of my hearers. Amen."

PART II

3 Qualities of Every Great Leader

  "Caring leads to teamwork, and teamwork leads to winning."

Ever since the beginning of time, people have been looking for the secrets of leadership. They've been looking for those things they can do that will bring out the very best in others.

Well, there aren’t any secrets. You can read all the books on leadership and you will find most authors say just about the same thing. They just use different words.

There are certain traits that great leaders exhibit. To the extent you can master and exhibit the same traits, you'll be more effective in getting others to excel.

Let's see if you can guess the first trait. Let me ask you, "How many great, really great teachers did you have in all your years of schooling?" Most people tell me, "one, two, three, or four."

Then, let me ask you, "How many teachers did you have over the years?" Most people tell me "dozens." Now that's strange. It's also sad. You had dozens of teachers, yet so few of them were really great.

When I probe a bit deeper, when I ask people what made those teachers great, I usually get the same answer. Can you guess?  They usually say,

1. Caring

"Those teachers cared."

Caring! It's the first trait exhibited by almost every great leader. It may sound like a very soft, touchy-feely thing, but it works.

As Max Lucado says in his book, And the Angels Were Silent,

"The people who make a difference are not the ones with the credentials but the ones with the concern."

Barry Alvarez knew that. In fact, he was named National Coach of the Year in 1993, the year his University of Wisconsin football team won the Rose Bowl.

Prior to that, however, he had to turn this losing, dispirited team around. He had to turn the players' attitudes and actions around.

He started doing that the very first day the freshmen players came in. He gave them each a pencil and paper and told them to write their parents. They were to tell their parents they loved them.

Alvarez knew that if he could strengthen the emotional expression the players gave their parents, it would be easier for the players to say they cared about each other.

After the players were there a while, he would bring them together for some "team building." He would ask each of them to talk about the teammate they most respected.

Often times, their choice would come as a surprise.  One player, for example, picked out a kid who wasn't even there on a scholarship. He said, "I respect him the most because he's been here for years and busted his tail all this time and never complained."

Alvarez says caring leads to teamwork and teamwork leads to winning.

Perhaps no one is more recognized for his leadership than Abraham Lincoln. And when you examine all the books written about him, you will find a lot more emphasis given to his caring than his strategic planning, brilliant programs, and media savvy.

As an example, President Lincoln often visited hospitals during the Civil War to talk to wounded soldiers.  One time a doctor pointed out a soldier near death and Lincoln went to his bedside. He asked, "Is there anything I can do for you?"

The soldier didn't recognize Lincoln and, with some effort, he was able to whisper, "Would you please write a letter to my mother?"

A pen and paper were provided and the President carefully wrote down what the young man said.

"My dearest mother, I was badly hurt while doing my duty. I'm afraid I'm not going to recover. Don't grieve too much for me, please. Kiss Mary and John for me. May God bless you and father."

The soldier was too weak to continue so Lincoln signed the letter for him. He added, "Written for your son by Abraham Lincoln."

The young man asked to see the note and was astonished when he discovered who had written it. "Are you really the President?" he asked. "Yes, I am," Lincoln replied quietly. Then he asked if there was anything else he could do.

"Would you please hold my hand? It will help to see me through to the end," said the soldier. And so, in that hushed room, the tall, gaunt President took the boy's hand in his and spoke words of encouragement until the boy passed away.

Could the same thing be said about you?  That you care deeply about the other people in your life and in your work?  If so, you’ve mastered the first secret.

The second secret of effective leadership is in short supply today.  It is…

2. Integrity

In other words, effective leaders tell the truth. They tell the truth in good times and bad, and they tell the truth whether it makes them look good or bad.

Now that’s a novel concept, isn’t it?  Telling the truth!  You catch my sarcasm, I’m sure.  But effective leaders DO NOT spin their comments in hopes of getting better ratings.

You see, when you tell the truth, you are telling the other person that you care about him or her.  You are saying that people have a right to know what is happening, why it is happening, and what the next steps will be.

And truth-telling communicates respect.  Great leaders know that silence, double talk, or delayed truth telling will create unnecessary anxiety in people and they respect people too much to put them through that kind of stress.

President Dwight Eisenhower put it this way:

"The supreme quality for a leader is unquestionable integrity. Without it, no real success is possible, no matter whether it is on a section gang, a football field, in an army, or in an office. If a man's associates find him guilty of phoniness, if they find he lacks forthright integrity, he will fail."

That’s the second secret.  And finally, for today's Tuesday Tip, great leaders who get others to excel have…

3. Expectations

In fact, they have high expectations. They don't let people get by with mediocrity.

Think about it. Think back to high school. Think about the teacher who let you goof off or slide by. You might have enjoyed the easy ride while you were getting it, but you also lost respect for yourself and for that teacher. No one can really feel good about herself when she just "gets by."

By contrast, think of the teacher who made you work, work, work. She kept saying "You can do it and you're going to do it." You may have disliked that teacher for a while, but that was the teacher you respected the most and that was the one who brought the best out of you.

Great leaders expect a lot from people.

One of my CEO friends credits his success to his mother who practiced this third secret.   As he puts it, he was the youngest of ten children and his father died when he was in the seventh grade. So his mother raised all the kids by herself. She worked as an assembly line worker and as a cleaning lady, but she had very high expectations for each of her children.

My CEO friend said when he came home from school his mother would ask, "You have homework?"  If you said "No," she'd say, "You know everything?"  Again, if you said "No," she'd say, "Well, you have homework now."

How about you?  Do you expect the best from your coworkers? Even your family members?  Or do you figure, “That’s just like him … to do just enough to get by?”  Your expectations always come through and they always affect the outcome you’re going to get.

Final Thought: Every leader should know the three secrets of caring, integrity, and expectations. Effective leaders, however, go one step further. They actually put those three secrets into practice.

image.png

PG Vargis

Feb 19, 2016, 5:29:51 PM2/19/16
to leadershiptip...@googlegroups.com

Inline image 1

A leader is like a river. Starts as a small stream. But gathers on the way other streams and becomes a mighty river – feeding people, cattle and agricultural lands and nourishing forests. It never stops working – day and night. A river exists for others and then vanishes.  You can be a Pampa river of Kerala or Ganges of India or Amazon. The choice is yours.

P G Vargis

Leadership note. Grow with me.

And share this with others. Let the world grow.

============================

          PART I      DEVOTIONAL MESSAGE (COPIED)

Leadership Blind Spots

By: John C. Maxwell

Do you have any blind spots? If you answered no, you now know where your blind spot is!

Okay, I think most of us would acknowledge that we do possess blind spots. We assume there must be some areas where we “don’t know what we don’t know.” And we suppose that our personal blind spots have an effect on our lives – quite possibly a negative effect.

But what happens when a leader has blind spots? It affects so many more people than the leader alone. It can have a far-reaching impact — on the leader, his or her followers, and the entire team, department or organization.

Here’s my definition of a blind spot: an area in someone’s life in which he continually fails to see himself or his situation realistically. This unawareness often causes great damage to the person and those around him.

PART II

Knocking Them Down

A young man who was an All-American football player in college went back to his alma Mater as an assistant coach. One of his main responsibilities in his new job would be to go out and scout and recruit players for his college team.

Before he made his first recruiting trip, he went in to visit with the head coach, the same coach for whom he had played when he was there in college some years before. The head coach was a crusty old veteran. He had held that position as head coach for many years, was widely known and highly respected all across the country.

The new young coach said to him, "Coach, I'm about to head out on my first recruiting trip, but before I go I want to be sure that we are on the same page. Tell me, Coach, what kind of player do you want me to recruit?"

The crusty old head coach leaned back in his chair. He looked the young coach straight in the eyes and said: "Son, I've been at this job a long time and over the years I have noticed that there are several different kinds of players. For example," he said, “you will find some players who get knocked down and they stay down. That's not the kind we want!"

And he said, "You will find some players who get knocked down and they will get right back up and get knocked down again and then they stay down. That's not the kind we want!"

And then the old coach said, "But you will also find some other players who get knocked down and knocked down and knocked down, and every time they get knocked down, they get right back up!"

At this point, the young coach got excited and he said, "Now, that's the kind of player we want, isn't it, Coach?"

"No!" said the old head coach. "We want the one doing all that knocking down!!"

image.png