LEADERSHIP TIPS FROM P G VARGIS

PG Vargis

Jul 23, 2015, 6:30:09 PM7/23/15
to leadershiptip...@googlegroups.com

Inline image 1A leader is like a river. Starts as a small stream. But gathers on the way other streams and becomes a mighty river – feeding people, cattle and agricultural lands and nourishing forests. It never stops working – day and night. A river exists for others and then vanishes.  You can be a Pampa river of Kerala or Ganges of India or Amazon. The choice is yours.

P G Vargis

Leadership note. Grow with me.

And share this with others. Let the world grow.

============================

"If you aren't having fun in your work, fix the problem before it gets serious. And if you don't fix it, go away before you spoil the fun for the rest of us."

You may be proud of how hard you work and how much work you accomplish.  I know I am.  But I also know there’s a limit.  You and I can't keep on working, day and night, five-six-seven days a week forever.  Eventually, the body will say "enough is enough."

That’s why I tell my clients, “If you can't find time for recreation, sooner or later your body will make time for illness.”

Years ago people used to say, “All work and no play make a person dull."  Today, it's probably more accurate to say that "all work and no play make a person dead."  In fact, Japan has a special government program to compensate widows and widowers whose spouses literally work themselves to death.

Unfortunately, it's not easy to find time for recreation. We’re all so busy these days.  There's more work than ever and fewer people to do it.  And, to make it even more difficult, companies tend to reward people whose lives are totally out of balance.  They're given more respect and bigger paychecks.

So what should you do if you're feeling overwhelmed, stressed out, burned out, or off balance?

1. REALIZE YOU'LL NEVER BE FINISHED, AND THAT'S OKAY.

No matter how hard you work, you'll never get it all done. Even on the day you die, there'll still be a few things in your in-box you didn't get to.

Perhaps you were raised like I was.  My father always said "First you work, and then you play.  Get all your work done, and then you can relax."  While that was fairly good advice years ago, it’s ineffective advice today.  You and I will never be done and we must realize that’s okay.  It really is.

2. SCHEDULE SOME RECREATION.

It sounds strange to put some free time or fun time on your calendar, but I've learned if it's not on the calendar, it doesn't happen.  So plan some time and then take some time for “re-creation” before you end up with "wreck-reation."

This week put an hour of recreation on your calendar.  Schedule an activity that you will do just for the health of it.  The only criterion you must follow is that whatever you choose, it must be something that will make you feel re-created or re-energized afterwards.

Of course, some of you will think it’s irresponsible to schedule some recreation.  That somehow fun and business profitability are incompatible.  Well, then you need to …

3. REALIZE THAT FUN AND PROFITS GO TOGETHER.

As I listen to audiences across the country, the second most frequent complaint I hear is that "the fun is gone."  It's not like it used to be. There's more work than ever and fewer people to do it.  Stress is up and loyalty is down.

Unfortunately, many managers are guilty of killing fun in the work environment. They say things like, "OK, we've had enough fun around here. It's time to get back to work." They have the misguided notion that somehow fun and work are incompatible.

Not at all!  Fun, profit, and excellence go hand in hand.  Robert Townsend, one of the more respected business writers of the 20th century says:

"If you don't do it excellently, don't do it at all. Because if it's not excellent, it won't be profitable or fun, and if you're not in business for fun or profit, what the heck are you doing there?"

One of the best examples may be Herb Kelleher, CEO of Southwest Airlines.  For years, he ran the most consistently profitable airline in the United States.  Even though he had great people skills, and a nose for cutting costs, he was known for his consistent focus on fun.  Fortune magazine even named him "America's best CEO," noting his contagious, outrageous sense of humor. Kelleher appeared at corporate headquarters dressed as Elvis and on planes as the Easter Bunny.

What's the point? His focus on fun showed up in the Southwest employees.  Flight attendants have been known to organize trivia contests or seated passenger relay races.  Attendants have delivered instructions in rap, hidden in overhead baggage compartments, and shared numerous anecdotes.

I remember one Southwest Airlines flight where the attendant showed wonderful creativity.  Typically no one listens to the attendant give safety announcements, but this one attendant really got our attention.  She said, "There may be fifty ways to leave your lover, but only two ways to leave this plane. If you're smart, you'll get out your safety instruction card and follow along as I explain."

All of us took out our cards and followed along.

On another flight, the attendant asked if we had heard about Freedom Air, the airline just for smokers. He said on that airline the attendants don't bother with safety lectures since no one on board seems that concerned about dying.  We all laughed, but then we were all ready to listen to the safety lecture that applied to Southwest Airlines.

Does this spirit of fun get in the way of efficiency and profits?  Just the opposite. Kelleher and Southwest Airlines demonstrated that a sense of humor helps create a culture of excellence.  In fact, Southwest employees are the most loyal in the industry, and the company itself continues to grow larger and more profitable each year.

4. REFUSE TO BE PROUD OF YOUR BUSYNESS.

As Lee Iacocca said, "Over the years, I've had many executives come to me and say with pride: 'Boy, last year I worked so hard that I didn't take any vacation.'  It's nothing to be proud of.  I always feel like responding: ‘You dummy.  You mean to tell me that you can take responsibility for an $80 million project and you can't plan two weeks out of the year to go off with your family and have some fun’?”

As I tell my coaching clients, “If you aren't having fun in your work, fix the problem before it gets serious. And if you don't fix it, go away before you spoil the fun for the rest of us.”

                                        ===============================

Have a day of growth for the glory of God

p g vargis

www.pgv.com

image.png

PG Vargis

Jul 30, 2015, 6:30:09 PM7/30/15
to leadershiptip...@googlegroups.com

Inline image 1

A leader is like a river. Starts as a small stream. But gathers on the way other streams and becomes a mighty river – feeding people, cattle and agricultural lands and nourishing forests. It never stops working – day and night. A river exists for others and then vanishes.  You can be a Pampa river of Kerala or Ganges of India or Amazon. The choice is yours.

P G Vargis

Leadership note. Grow with me.

And share this with others. Let the world grow.

============================

"If you’re not in the process of learning more and getting better, and your competition is in that process, guess who has the upper hand when the two of you meet?"

We are living in a time of information explosion and global competition. More information has been generated and disseminated in the last two years than in the previous two thousand years. And more people than ever are eager and ready to take what you have.  It's mind-boggling, to say the least.

So there's no question that everyone needs to be involved in the process of continuing education.  It's a dog-eat-dog world out there, and if you and your organization are going to get your share of the bones, perks, profits, market share, job security, and everything else you want, you’d better be as up-to-date as your competitors.

If you’re a leader or a manger, that means you've got to keep on training your employees. And if you’re an individual contributor, you've got to recognize that school is not out and it never will be.

To win in this dog-eat-dog world, I suggest the following.

1.  Cut Out Your “This-Is-a-Bad-Time” Excuse.

There are a lot of companies and a lot of managers who find all kinds of excuses for not training their people. Perhaps the most common excuse is "We've got too much on our plate.  We’re too busy for that. This isn't a good time for training."

Wrong! If you're an enlightened organization, you know there will never be a good time for training.  It will either be a bad time or a really bad time. If you're enlightened, you'll offer training no matter what time it is, just because it's necessary.

2. Cut Out Your “When-We-Get-Through-This-Change” Excuse.

Many organizations will say, “We’ll put a hold on training until we get through all these changes.”

Not smart! People will go through organizational changes one way or another.  Some people will fight it, resist, argue, and stumble around, wasting your time and resources, before they get on board, if they ever do.  And other people will embrace the change as a pathway to bigger and better things in the future.  It all depends on the training they received or didn’t receive.

And as much as I hate to say it, most organizations let their people stumble through the change. Most organizations just focus on the "forms" of change, all the restructuring and reorganizing that will supposedly save them from their competitors. Only a few organizations are enlightened enough to also have "forums" for change, where people can learn how to manage and assimilate the change. It's those enlightened organizations that have the greatest morale and the greatest productivity.

3.  Cut Out Your “What-If-They-Leave” Excuse.

Some leaders challenge my insistence on continuing education by saying, “What’s the point?  If I train my people, they might leave. They might go out and get a different job."

My response usually stops them cold.  I respond by asking,

“What if you don’t train your employees and they stay?”

In other words, the only thing worse than training employees and have them leave is not training them and have them stay.

4.  Take Responsibility for Your Own Education.

I see it all the time in my business. The best people always show up for the seminars. They want to keep on getting better, and to do that, they know they've got to keep on learning. So they'll attend every seminar their company offers, and if the company doesn't offer what they want and need, they'll go to seminars on their own nickel and their own time.

By contrast, I see the losers, the has-beens, and the second-raters finding reasons not to educate themselves. They'll say, "I've heard all that before ... or ...I don't need that stuff... or ...I went to one of those motivational seminars one time and it didn't last."

Of course, their colleagues are laughing under their breath. They're thinking, "If those negative folks only knew how much they needed some 'motivational seminars,' they'd be shocked. Everyone seems to know it except them."

Other losers will say, “Hey, that’s my company’s responsibility, to send me to training and pay for everything.”  Maybe so.  But try saying that in your next job interview when you’re asked about the training you’ve received recently.  You won’t get very far if you respond, “Well I haven’t had any training because they wouldn’t pay for it.”  Your lack of personal responsibility will doom any chances you might have had for that new job.

Final thought:  If you’re not in the process of learning more and getting better, and your competition is in that process, guess who has the upper hand when the two of you meet?

image.png

PG Vargis

Aug 6, 2015, 6:30:11 PM8/6/15
to leadershiptip...@googlegroups.com

Inline image 1A leader is like a river. Starts as a small stream. But gathers on the way other streams and becomes a mighty river – feeding people, cattle and agricultural lands and nourishing forests. It never stops working – day and night. A river exists for others and then vanishes.  You can be a Pampa river of Kerala or Ganges of India or Amazon. The choice is yours.

P G Vargis

Leadership note. Grow with me.

And share this with others. Let the world grow.

============================

7 Critical Abilities for Top-Level Leaders

By Ron Edmondson

 Email Share On Facebook Twitter

Like Us

Ron Edmondson recommends an inventory of vital skills every leader needs. Do you have them?

I want to address some critical abilities that a senior leader must have to be effective. The intent of this post is not to appear arrogant as a senior leader, as if I have qualities others may not have, although I’m confidant some will take it that way. (Isn’t being misunderstood part of being a senior leader?) I’m not afraid to admit my weaknesses…of which I have many…but there are certain abilities senior leaders need to do their job well.

•       I remember how many people told me I wouldn’t understand parenting until I was a parent. They were right.

•       I remember how many people told me I should enjoy parenting at every stage of life while my boys were home. They were right.

•       I remember how many told me that I would adjust to being an empty nester. They were right.

The point is that sometimes we can’t understand something until we experience it firsthand.

That’s the way it is with being the senior leader in an organization. All leadership is challenging, but the senior position is a pressure unlike any other. Show me a small business owner, a president, a senior pastor, or CEO, and I’ll show you someone who carries…in an organizational leadership sense…a heavy burden. I’ve learned from observation that some are qualified to lead from that position and some are not.

A limiting factor in one being qualified for a senior level position in an organization appears to me to be when they lack some of the abilities required of that position. It doesn’t mean all senior leaders excel in each of these…I certainly don’t…but to be effective they must be aware of the need to have these abilities and working towards them.

Here are 7 critical abilities every senior leader must have:

1. Ability to quickly and strategically think big picture

The senior leader doesn’t have a choice but to think big picture for the organization at all times. He or she must learn to think strategically in the moment, realizing that the future of the organization is always at stake.

2. Ability to remain steadfast during adversity

The senior leader must continue to stand strong when everyone else is running from the problems. In times of crisis or controversy, the organization and community around it look for leadership. A senior leader doesn’t have the choice of burying his or her head in the sand when troubles surround the organization.

3. Ability to unquestionably keep a confidence

The senior leader usually knows things that aren’t yet ready to be released or talked about publicly. He or she must be trusted to keep these confidences. A senior leader must learn how to answer questions and address issues of importance to people without divulging confidential information.

4. Ability to fully release control and delegate

The senior leader must wear many hats and oversee all areas of focus within an organization. He or she must be able to trust and take risks on others to free the organization to continue to grow. Delegation is important at all levels of leadership, but for the senior leader it is not an option.

5. Ability to see all sides to an issue

The senior leader can’t always side with his or her area of personal interest, but must balance all the needs within an organization. This is another part of thinking strategically in the moment. Since an organization is built with many separate but equally important parts, the senior leader must view every scenario as it relates to each individual part of the organization.

6. Ability to make unpopular decisions

The senior leader must make the wisest decision possible for the organization, even when that means the decision will not be popular. This often produces a loneliness of leadership that keeps many from being able to handle the senior leader position.

7. Ability to embrace healthy conflict for the good of the organization

The senior leader can’t shy away from conflict that is critical to maintain the health of the organization. The senior leader recognizes the importance of allowing times of conflict to strengthen the organization.

If you don’t have these abilities, don’t quit leading, but recognize an area of improvement and seek ways to grow as a senior leader.

What is missing from my list? What would you add?

JOKE

When Peters learned that he was being fired, he went to

see the head of human resources.

"Since I've been with the firm for so long," he said, "I

think I deserve at least a letter of recommendation."

The human resources director agreed and said he'd have the

letter that next day. The following morning, Peters found

the letter on his desk.

It read, "Jonathan Peters worked for our company for eleven

years. When he left us, we were very satisfied."

image.png

PG Vargis

Aug 14, 2015, 6:30:08 PM8/14/15
to leadershiptip...@googlegroups.com

Inline image 1A leader is like a river. Starts as a small stream. But gathers on the way other streams and becomes a mighty river – feeding people, cattle and agricultural lands and nourishing forests. It never stops working – day and night. A river exists for others and then vanishes.  You can be a Pampa river of Kerala or Ganges of India or Amazon. The choice is yours.

P G Vargis

Leadership note. Grow with me.

And share this with others. Let the world grow.

============================

MESSAGE- copied

..."I have become an alien in a foreign land." (Exodus 2:22)

God's preparation of a leader involves training, extended times of waiting, pain, rejection, and isolation. Are you ready to sign up?

Moses was brought up in Pharaoh's court. He had the very best of everything - education, clothing, food, and personal care. But there came a time when the man God would use to free an entire people from slavery was going to have to learn to be the leader God wanted. At age 40, when most of us want to be thinking about winding down instead of beginning a new career, Moses was forced to flee to the desert.

Like Joseph and Abraham, Moses had to endure some difficult years of preparation that first involved removal from his current situation. He went from notoriety to obscurity, from limitless resources to no resources, from activity and action to inactivity and solitude. And, most importantly, waiting. And waiting. And waiting. He probably thought he would die in the land of Midian.

Then one day, a full 40 years from the day he arrived, God appeared to Moses in a burning bush. Everything changed. God said, "It is time." The years had seasoned the vessel to prepare him to accomplish the work.

God is preparing many workplace believers today. The circumstances may be different. The time frames may not be quite as long. But the characteristics of the training are still the same. Do not try to shortcut the desert time of God. It only leads to cul-de-sacs, which force you to revisit the lessons you are meant to learn. Embrace them, so that He can use your life for something extraordinary.

WORTH READING

We must encourage all our young generation to join decision making, influential jobs.

•       Civil service

•       Police (From the post of a constable to IPS)

•       Teachers

Others may consider military (Air Force and Army).

PGV

=====================

Church of North India urges youth to consider civil service

August 13, 2015 by admin

Filed under newsletter-india

Leave a Comment

 New Delhi, August 11, 2015: The Church of North India (CNI) is urging its young people to consider entering civil service in order to bring a Christian presence to the country’s government and have a positive influence on public policy.

CNI General Secretary Alwan Masih made the call in a message to the members of the church, following the announcement of results of civil service examinations for 2014.

Noting that young people in civil service play an all-important role in framing policy for the nation, including social programs and development projects, he said: “They are the pillars who are responsible for any change that the country experiences.”

Masih announced that a CNI member had qualified in the 2014 group, raising hopes that more young people prepared by the CNI would write preliminary examinations in August.

However, the General Secretary said that in comparison to the overall percentage of Christians in India’s population, Christians were unrepresented in the number of those who had passed preliminary examinations held by the country’s Union Public Service Commission.

Given the Church’s track record of providing high-quality education, it and its organizations “need to do some soul searching and try to find answers” to find out why candidates from the Christian community were not playing a corresponding role in civil service, he declared.

The CNI Executive Committee had taken an important first step with a resolution to begin a civil services examination preparatory program for its youth but much more needed to be done, the General Secretary said.

He observed that one reason for the low level of representation was a basic lack of awareness about the significance of civil service. Many of the youth simply were not interested.

Masih stated that the all Christian denominations in India needed to encourage and motivate their youth to “take up the challenge” of writing the civil service examinations.

“The Church supporting such an effort financially and emotionally will be a great service to the community as well as to the nation.”

- anglican news

image.png

PG Vargis

Aug 21, 2015, 6:30:09 PM8/21/15
to leadershiptip...@googlegroups.com

Inline image 1A leader is like a river. Starts as a small stream. But gathers on the way other streams and becomes a mighty river – feeding people, cattle and agricultural lands and nourishing forests. It never stops working – day and night. A river exists for others and then vanishes.  You can be a Pampa river of Kerala or Ganges of India or Amazon. The choice is yours.

P G Vargis

Leadership note. Grow with me.

And share this with others. Let the world grow.

============================

Which Direction is Your Influence Moving?

“Leadership is influence.” John C. Maxwell

Influence is a great one-word definition of leadership. Here’s another statement John is known for: “Whoever thinks he’s leading, but has no one following, is only taking a walk!” That line still makes me smile. It’s just so true! Leadership is not a position or a title, it’s your ability to lead in such a way that others follow you in pursuit of the vision.

It doesn’t matter where you are on the organizational chart. It doesn’t matter what title is on your business card. True leaders have influence and can lead from wherever they are in the organization.

I’d like to challenge you with another true leadership statement. Your influence is either increasing or decreasing, it is never staying the same.

It might seem like it’s in neutral or holding about the same, but it’s not. It is always (usually very slowly) increasing or decreasing. The reason it might appear to be holding at the same level is because the church is so relationally oriented, and with relationships things move (change) slowly. Usually at a rate that is so slow it is virtually imperceptible unless you know what to look for.

I can’t count how many pastors get blindsided by this. They call me and say something like: “I thought everything was fine. We were all doing great together then “all of a sudden the wheels came off’”. I promise, it wasn’t all of a sudden. It was happening for a long time but they didn’t see it. Their influence was decreasing, perhaps ever so slowly, but it was.

It is possible for you to work hard and have your influence decrease. It is possible for you to be godly and pray much and yet still experience a decrease in influence. It is possible for you to feel called to your current church and have your influence decrease. But let me offer encouragement. In fact, I have good news for you!

The good news is twofold:

1. You can intentionally increase your influence!

Take ownership of your personal leadership growth. Don’t blame your boss or the environment you are in. Incredible leadership material is only a click away.

Leadership development is a lifetime pursuit, but for a great start, I recommend you read, and practice, John C. Maxwell’s The Five Levels of Leadership.

It is also important that you get time with other sharp leaders who have more success and experience than you do. Offer to buy coffee or lunch. Come well prepared with good questions that you have written down. If you ask for one hour, don’t take more than one hour. Be diligent in your effort to practice what you learn from each meeting. Even if you come away with only one transferrable nugget of truth, or principle that connects with you, that is worth every minute of that meeting.

Keep in mind that while it’s helpful and good for you to get specific answers to your questions, learning how that leader thinks is even more valuable. If I understand how those who mentor me think, I can translate that to dozens of other scenarios.

2. You can see evidence of your influence increasing.

You don’t have to remain in the dark. It’s not a guessing game or something that you must wonder about. It’s easy to see if your influence is increasing.

Here are some basic and practical things to look for:

•       More people seek you out.

•       People say yes easier and faster.

•       People’s loyalty toward you increases.

•       More people care about what you think.

•       You are trusted with greater levels of responsibility.

•       More people want your opinion.

•       People’s trust in you as a person increases.

•       Your productivity increases.

•       People embrace your ideas with greater trust.

•       Favor and momentum are not strangers to you.

•       You get promoted.

•       More people want to be on your team.

This list is not comprehensive, but you get the idea. The bottom line is that more people follow you and the potential for your church to grow (see new people follow Jesus) increases dramatically! This does not guarantee your church will become large, but increased leadership (influence) along with God’s presence and power sets you up for growth. Of course this is not easy, but it is that simple.

It’s equally important to know when your influence is decreasing! If you take the list and write the opposite for each bullet, you will have practical evidence that your influence is headed in the wrong direction. Here it is, take a look:

•       Fewer people seek you out.

•       People say no to many of your asks, and yeses come more difficult.

•       People’s loyalty toward you decreases.

•       Less people care about what you think.

•       You are trusted with lesser levels of responsibility.

•       Less people want your opinion.

•       People’s trust in you as a person decreases.

•       Your productivity decreases.

•       People embrace your ideas with decreasing trust.

•       Favor and momentum are difficult to come by.

•       You don’t get promoted.

•       Less people want to be on your team.

Like even the best of the major league baseball players, leaders will find themselves in a batting slump. Things don’t seem to be going as well as usual. Don’t panic, that is normal. That is different, however, than a long term pattern of decreasing influence. Just keep stepping up to the plate and keep swinging.

What direction is your leadership headed? If it is decreasing, don’t panic. But dig in. Start today. Turn-around is possible. If your influence is increasing, that is great! But don’t get comfortable. Keep learning, keep growing and keep getting better.

image.png

PG Vargis

Aug 28, 2015, 6:30:09 PM8/28/15
to leadershiptip...@googlegroups.com

Inline image 1A leader is like a river. Starts as a small stream. But gathers on the way other streams and becomes a mighty river – feeding people, cattle and agricultural lands and nourishing forests. It never stops working – day and night. A river exists for others and then vanishes.  You can be a Pampa river of Kerala or Ganges of India or Amazon. The choice is yours.

P G Vargis

Leadership note. Grow with me.

And share this with others. Let the world grow.

============================

"Be open to changing your mind once in a while.  After all, a person that never changes his mind is either stubborn

or stupid."

A young woman was explaining to her friend why she decided to marry one man rather than another. She said, "When I was with John, I thought he was the greatest person in the whole world."

"Then why didn't you choose him?," her confused friend asked.

"Because when I'm with Bill, I think I am the greatest person in the whole world."

One of the keys to positive relationships is how you make the other person feel about himself. When you help the other person like himself a little more, you can be certain he'll like you a great deal more, and you can be certain he'll be a great deal more motivated.

So how can you do that?

1.   Be Wary of the Need to Always

Be Right.

Are you one of those people who has always got to be right? If so, you're probably not much fun to live with and you may be difficult to work with. After all, if you're always right, that means everyone else is wrong--and I guarantee you, they don't like it.

It's like the priest and the monk on a journey. As they approached a river, they saw a woman standing at the river's edge, unable to cross. Despite the fact they had taken vows never to touch a woman, the priest put the woman on his shoulder and carried her across the river.

When they reached the other side and continued their journey, the monk lashed out at the priest for breaking his vows. He went on and on, criticizing his travel companion, because he was right, according to their vows.  He kept up his criticism until the priest replied, "Brother, I set her down at the river's edge. You're still carrying her."  It was the priest, of course, who knew it was more important to be effective.

If you're guilty of always needing to be right, ask yourself if it's worth it. After all, YOU WILL PAY A HIGH PRICE FOR ALWAYS NEEDING TO BE RIGHT. And the price you pay will be damage to your relationships.

You see, no one wants to live or work with a person who's always right. The behavior looks arrogant and makes everyone else feel inferior. And when people feel inferior, they will withdraw from you, talk about you, or challenge you--none of which you probably want.

So what should you do if you're guilty of being too self-righteous?  The next time someone disagrees with you, try some new behavior. Instead of insisting you're right, respond by saying, "You could be right. Tell me more," and then really listen.

Along those same lines, for effective relationships on and off the job,

2.  Affirm the Other Person.

Mike Vance talks about that in his book, Break Out of the Box.

Vance, the director of management development and training at Disneyland, had been hired to give a pep talk to the employees of a particular casino. Previous consultants had come into the casino, and along with the casino's president, had agreed that employee morale was bad, employee grooming was "skuzzy," and customer service was atrocious. The consultants had recommended the implementation of precise grooming policies, but the employees were furious. They interpreted the new policy to mean their president had no respect for them.

When Vance met with the employees before his speech, he found them to be warm and friendly, very different than the previous consultants. So he took a different approach. He said, "The problem isn't you. It's your difficult guests. Let's face it; you've got customers who can be testy! That's the problem. You guys are great." The employees stood up and cheered. The casino president gasped in disbelief.

Why did Vance start that way? People never buy into your ideas if you start by telling them they're second rate. Instead, you have to start by affirming them.

After Vance affirmed them, he pointed out the need to find a way to turn around unhappy, rude customers. He recommended a customer courtesy program based on leading by example.

Once the employees shifted their focus from defending themselves to working with the customer, they were instantly more motivated. They began showing the most courteous service anyone could imagine. Their goal became that of being so good at service that a customer just couldn't be difficult. Employee attitudes, grooming, and communication improved dramatically and almost instantly.

The task had gone from "clean up your act" to "find a way to transform the customer." It worked.  But remember this--it worked because Vance HELPED THE PEOPLE TO FEEL BETTER ABOUT THEMSELVES--first.

Final Thought:  Let go of your need to always be right.  Be open to changing your mind once in a while.  After all, a person that never changes his mind is either stubborn or stupid, and neither behavior will lead to effective relationships.

image.png

PG Vargis

Sep 4, 2015, 6:30:09 PM9/4/15
to leadershiptip...@googlegroups.com

Inline image 1A leader is like a river. Starts as a small stream. But gathers on the way other streams and becomes a mighty river – feeding people, cattle and agricultural lands and nourishing forests. It never stops working – day and night. A river exists for others and then vanishes.  You can be a Pampa river of Kerala or Ganges of India or Amazon. The choice is yours.

P G Vargis

Leadership note. Grow with me.

And share this with others. Let the world grow.

============================

Wisdom Determines The Success of Your Life.

    That is why the diligent pursuit of Wisdom is so important to your Success.

    A Few Years Ago, God Revealed To Me An Explosive Concept Regarding Self-Confidence. You Will Never Outperform The Self-Portrait You Have of Yourself. Moses sent 12 spies, or scouts, to review the land before entering. When they came back, their reports were contradictory. Ten had evil reports, two had good reports. Ten were giant-conscious. Two were God-conscious. Ten could not see beyond the giants, so they embraced the “Grasshopper Mentality” and never entered the land God promised them. They ignored the Wisdom of God and forfeited their opportunity for Success. Your Self-Portrait Determines Your Self-Conduct.

    Words Are So Crucial To Our Attitude. Our conversation reveals whether we see ourselves as a winner or a loser. Losers focus on their problems. Losers discuss their obstacles. Losers focus on their enemies’ achievements. Losers adopt a victim mentality. Winners focus on possibilities. Winners embrace opportunities. Winners pursue Miracles. Winners have a Sonship mentality. Winners Are Simply Ex-Losers Who Got Mad.

    Many years ago I sobbed before God. My heart was breaking for something I had lost in my life. Suddenly, The Holy Spirit spoke. “Forget what you have lost. Focus on what you already possess.” Something ignited within me.

    Sometimes We Have To Reach For The Seemingly Impossible. There may be seasons in your life when you will have to step out in faith toward your Future and embrace the opportunities in front of you. Other times, you may simply need to create an Atmosphere of Gratitude for what is in your Present. Moses was waiting for something sensational to happen...something extraordinary, but God asked him, “What is that in your hand?” “A crooked, wooden stick,” said Moses. “Then use it,” God said.

    Canaan Is Really A Symbol of Your Dreams, Your Goals, Your Places of Victories. Canaan is “Success Territory.” Every man should have goals of some sort. God intended for you to have them. Abraham had a dream…Isaac. Joseph had a dream…Prime Minister. Solomon had a dream…The Temple. The Israelites had a dream...Canaan.

    My friend, God Will Birth An Invisible Picture of Your Future. That “Uncommon Dream” will be something you can do, something you can become or something you can have. God uses this Uncommon Dream to provide focus, progression and enthusiasm. Satan will develop a strategy to cloud this picture and paralyze this Uncommon Dream. You must recognize The Dream that God uses to stir hope, inspire direction and make you a blessing to others. The Goal of An Enemy Is To Stain Your Self-Portrait. Your Self-Portrait Determines The Kind of Enemy You Are Willing To Confront.

image.png

PG Vargis

Sep 11, 2015, 6:30:09 PM9/11/15
to leadershiptip...@googlegroups.com

Inline image 1A leader is like a river. Starts as a small stream. But gathers on the way other streams and becomes a mighty river – feeding people, cattle and agricultural lands and nourishing forests. It never stops working – day and night. A river exists for others and then vanishes.  You can be a Pampa river of Kerala or Ganges of India or Amazon. The choice is yours.

P G Vargis

Leadership note. Grow with me.

And share this with others. Let the world grow.

============================

Keep the Front Door Wide Open

In the church world we talk a lot about front doors and back doors. Meaning, how people come in and how people leave your church. In principle, closing the back door is more about keeping the front door wide open.

The spirit and atmosphere that makes a church inviting is the same spirit and atmosphere that makes people want to stay. Church leaders have been talking about “closing the back door” for years. It’s a good conversation. After all, it is frustrating to see visitors come, people say yes to Jesus, get baptized and maybe even attend a new Christian’s class.

And yet, the church still struggles to grow. People seem to be coming in the front and going out the back.

When the equation reveals that the number leaving nearly equals the number coming, that demands attention. However, the truth is, you can’t keep anyone. I know you wouldn’t literally try to keep someone, but this is more than semantics. It’s about how you and I think as leaders.

Trying to keep people is leading on the defense, you never really lead, you chase. When you lead on the offense you are out in front inviting. It seems like in many conversations I have with pastors, though likely unintended, it sounds like the church leaders are trying to “keep” people rather than to lead them, inspire them, and help them grow.

Last week a sharp pastor in a large church asked me about how much effort should be put into going after people who leave. My answer is very little. It’s not that you don’t care, it’s that the amount of energy you invest in chasing people who don’t want to be chased is highly unproductive. It is uncommon for a person who left the church to come back.

The push back is that it’s worth it if just one comes back. Yes and no. If we’re talking about salvation, of course I agree. One soul means everything!

But, let’s be honest about how this usually plays out. When we chase people for weeks or even months they usually don’t return. And if we are honest, there is a reason they left. Simply put, if leaders will invest their time solving the issues of why people leave, rather than chasing those who have left, that time is better invested.

With the time that God has given us we can either chase people or create a culture that people will never want to leave.

I have found that people are far less likely to leave when the culture is right.

When we as leaders focus on creating a healthy, positive and faith-filled culture, and take a stand against things like gossip, politics and a negative spirit in general, our churches become a place people want to be! (Offense) But don’t do it in order to “keep” them. (Defense) Remind yourself you can’t keep anyone.

When I talk about things like the spirit of your church, the atmosphere and culture, I mean the general vibe people experience when they attend your church. These things trump your programs. You can execute nearly flawless programming in your ministries, but if the newer people don’t sense a “freshness and vibrancy” in the air, rather than an old “staleness and sameness” no matter how hard you work, new people won’t stay.

From first impressions to early connections, the front door is key. Today’s culture has too many options competing for people’s time and if you don’t “set the table” well, they will find something else to do.

Here are four helpful things to help you set an environment where people want to come!

1. Create an atmosphere that is inviting.

Growing up as a kid I remember my mom saying: “We need to clean and get things ready, we have company coming tonight.” There was a sense of anticipation of something special happening. My parents invited friends for dinner and they wanted everything just right. That is an inviting atmosphere, and the same is true in your church. Everything from trained ushers and greeters to an enthusiastic children’s ministry, are you ready? It’s not about pretense or putting on a show, it’s showing your guests you care!

2. Communicate practical and relevant sermons.

The tough thing about writing and delivering great messages is that the next one is due in seven days. Most of us can do one great talk, it’s 40-50 a year that is challenging. Nonetheless, each one must be your best. Most pastors need several guest speakers (live or video) each year in order to make time to prepare their best messages! Each message should be what you believe God is directing you to say. It should be engaging, encouraging, helpful, and speaking directly to the real needs of people. For me, as I’m praying and preparing I know when the moment the message is ready! It’s the moment I can’t wait to teach it!

3. Build a sense of forward motion.

This element of leadership is vital. The thing that closes the front door faster than anything else is a sense of sameness. It is doing the same thing week after week and not going anywhere. A church can experience warm friendship and caring people, but still not experience forward motion. Taking new territory is essential for a healthy, inviting and attractive church. What is your mission? What is your vision? Is there life change? What impacts do you want to make in the community and globally? If you are making a difference how do you know? Doing “many” things and being busy in general isn’t needed or wise, but a sense of progress is essential.

4. Cultivate a spirit of fun!

When I talk with pastors, their staff and volunteer church leaders, they all know what fun is and love to have fun. But then admit their church isn’t much fun. I want to encourage you to allow yourself and your church to enjoy the experience of pursuing God! At 12Stone we remind ourselves not to take ourselves too seriously, (and we don’t), but we take God very seriously. When pastors ask “How do you make church fun?” I respond by saying, “The same way you make anything else in life fun!” It’s okay to plan, yes, even program-in fun moments. Just like you would for a family birthday or vacation. That’s not fake, it allows people to breath during the service, which helps them better absorb the deeper truths you want to communicate. A joyful church begins in the parking lot, your parking lot attendants need to smile! Your ushers and greeters, coffee servers, nursery team etc. need to genuinely enjoy the experience and others will catch the spirit! If it’s not fun, fix it.

My challenge and encouragement to you is to lead your church with clear vision, love the people, and inspire them. Invest your energy into building them up, teach biblical truth and make your church environment fun! If you do this, they are much more likely to stay because they want to!

image.png

PG Vargis

Sep 18, 2015, 6:30:08 PM9/18/15
to leadershiptip...@googlegroups.com

Inline image 1A leader is like a river. Starts as a small stream. But gathers on the way other streams and becomes a mighty river – feeding people, cattle and agricultural lands and nourishing forests. It never stops working – day and night. A river exists for others and then vanishes.  You can be a Pampa river of Kerala or Ganges of India or Amazon. The choice is yours.

P G Vargis

Leadership note. Grow with me.

And share this with others. Let the world grow.

============================

Devotion of a leader

A leaders devotion at the foot of the Cross. “2 Corinthians 3:18 (MSG) All of us! Nothing between us and God, our faces shining with the brightness of his face. And so we are transfigured much like the Messiah, our lives gradually becoming brighter and more beautiful as God enters our lives and we become like him. “

   Am I in tune with God's Spirit? Am I exercising His gifts appropriately? Are my desires in line with His? Am I praying according to His will? Am I hearing His voice? If we can't answer these questions with a high degree of certainty, we will walk out our relationship with God tentatively. We will make decisions, offer prayers, and listen for His guidance without much conviction, and our uncertain faith will waver. There's a lot of humility in this walk, but not a lot of holy boldness. And we can't accomplish much in God's Kingdom without both.

   The most significant variable in answering these questions is whether or not we are gazing at Jesus. When He is front and center in our minds and hearts - when He is bigger and better than our deepest desires, getting our prayers answered, and discovering God's will - He will align us with His heartbeat. When we contemplate His glory and pursue Him above all else, we are transformed into His image without even being aware of it. We become like whatever we love, so if Christ is our greatest love - not just in theory, but in daily consciousness - we become like Him. And as we do, we hear, pray, walk, and talk like He does. Just as He is the radiance of the Father, we reflect God's radiance too. We don't have to worry about being misguided when our greatest passion is knowing Jesus.

   When Jesus becomes and remains the focus of our attention, a lot of other things in life fall into place and a lot of spiritual questions get resolved. We may not know exactly how that happens, but it does. Our perspective changes. Even our questions change. And uncertainties about our relationship with God begin to vanish.

   Jesus, may my gaze never depart from You. Show me Your glory.

Impart Your nature to me. Implant Your heartbeat within me. Be my truest and deepest passion. [The One Year Hearing His Voice Devotional by Chris Tiegreen]

PRACTICAL APPLICATIONS

   Let My love enfold you in the radiance of My Glory. Sit still in the Light of My Presence, and receive My Peace. These quiet moments with Me transcend time, accomplishing far more than you can imagine. Bring Me the sacrifice of your time, and watch to see how abundantly I bless you and your loved ones.

   Through the intimacy of our relationship, you are being transformed from the inside out. As you keep your focus on Me, I form you into the one I desire you to be. Your part is to yield to My creative work in you, neither resisting it nor trying to speed it up. Enjoy the tempo of a God-breathed life by letting Me set the pace. Hold My hand in childlike trust, and the way before you will open up step by step. (Heb. 13:15; 2 Cor. 3:18; Psa. 73:23, 24) [Jesus Calling by Sarah Young]

   As you wait attentively in My Presence, the Light of the knowledge of My Glory shines upon you. This radiant knowledge transcends all understanding. It transforms every fiber of your being: renewing your mind, cleansing your heart, invigorating your body. Open yourself fully to My Presence; be awed by My glorious Being.

   Try to imagine what I gave up when I came into your world as a baby. I set aside My Glory, so that I could identify with mankind. I accepted the limitations of infancy under the most appalling conditions ~ a filthy stable. That was a dark night for Me, even though angels lit up the sky proclaiming "Glory!" to awe-struck shepherds.

   When you sit quietly with Me, the process I went through is reversed in your experience. As you identify with Me, heaven's vistas open up before you ~ granting you glimpses of My Glory. I became poor so that you might become rich. Sing hallelujahs to My holy Name! (2 Cor. 4:6; Phi. 2:6, 7; Luke 2:13, 14; 2 Cor. 8:9) [Jesus Calling by Sarah Young]

   Bask in the luxury of being fully understood and unconditionally loved. Dare to see yourself as I see you: radiant in My righteousness, cleansed by My blood. I view you as the one I created you to be, the one you will be in actuality when heaven becomes your home. It is My Life within you that is changing you from glory to glory.

Rejoice in this mysterious miracle! Thank Me continually for the amazing gift of My Spirit within you.

   Try to depend on the help of the Spirit as you go through this day of life. Pause briefly from time to time so you can consult with this Holy One inside you. He will not force you to do His bidding, but He will guide you as you give Him space in your life. Walk along this wondrous way of collaboration with My Spirit. (Psa. 34:5; 2Co. 5:21; 3:18; Gal. 5:25) [Jesus Calling by Sarah Young]

   I will fill you with joy and peace as you wait in My Presence. Spending time with Me demonstrates that you really do trust Me.

People who trust mainly in themselves and their own abilities often crowd Me out of their lives. As you learn to trust Me more, you increasingly delight in time spent with Me. And the more you wait in My Presence, the deeper your faith grows - increasing your Joy and Peace.

   Because you belong to Me, My Spirit lives in you. You may sometimes be unaware of His Presence, but He is always aware of you.

Moreover, He is continually at work within you - transforming you into My likeness with ever-increasing Glory. You cooperate in this process by focusing on Me. As you become more and more like Me, hope grows within you. With the Spirit's help, this hope can well up inside you till it overflows - spilling out and splashing into the lives of other people!

(Isa. 26:3; Rom. 8:9; 2Co. 3:18) [Jesus Today by Sarah Young]

CLOSING THOUGHTS

During a landmark interview with the great physicist and mathematician Albert Einstein, he made this statement concerning Jesus the

Christ: "I am a Jew, but I am enthralled by the luminous figure of the Nazarene... No one can read the Gospels without feeling the actual presence of Jesus. His personality pulsates in every word. No myth is filled with such life."

Each day, you can have your own personal transfiguration as you worship the Lord and yield to the Spirit. [Chapter by Chapter Bible Commentary by Warren Wiersbe]

image.png

PG Vargis

Sep 24, 2015, 6:30:09 PM9/24/15
to leadershiptip...@googlegroups.com

Inline image 1A leader is like a river. Starts as a small stream. But gathers on the way other streams and becomes a mighty river – feeding people, cattle and agricultural lands and nourishing forests. It never stops working – day and night. A river exists for others and then vanishes.  You can be a Pampa river of Kerala or Ganges of India or Amazon. The choice is yours.

P G Vargis

Leadership note. Grow with me.

And share this with others. Let the world grow.

============================

My Dear Partner...

    Increase Is The Divine Reward For Honoring A Divine Law..!

    As I gaze across my property and see the beauty of God’s nature all around me, I am reminded…everything that does not grow dies. If I do not nurture this gorgeous environment, the beauty will fade away. God kills anything that does not multiply.

    God commanded us to increase…to multiply. (See Genesis 1:28.)

    The Bible is a book about increase. Jesus looked at the woman at the well and said, “I will give you water and you will never thirst again.” (See John 4:14.) Jesus promised blessing...increase.

    You will never avoid financial problems through hard work alone. Some of the hardest working people I see in America are the poorest paid. You may have tried to adapt to lack and living on less, but you can never hide from this innate, invisible craving inside of you for more.

    Never live with guilt for desiring more.

    Never feel guilty for desiring another house…car…or source of income. There is an invisible instruction within you to produce more.

3 Golden Keys For You...

•       Focus. If you desire an increase in finances, you will have to study money. If you want an increase of love within your family, you will have to spend more time with them. If you want to increase your Wisdom, you will have to pursue Mentorship. The Only Reason Men Fail Is Broken Focus.

•       Mastery. Michael Jordan...Evander Holyfield...Tiger Woods...have all mastered and excelled in their sport. Stop attempting too many projects. What do you love? What you love is a key to something you can master. The Proof of Love Is The Investment of Time. You will only invest Time in something you love. Your Money Is Hidden In Whatever Is Most Important To You.

•       Mentorship. Who has done what you want to do? Who has achieved what you long to accomplish? A Mentor is a trusted teacher. Mentorship is the transference of information. Mentorship is Wisdom without the season of waiting. Mentorship Is Success Without The Pain.

    God wants you to prosper and enjoy His abundance and rewards. Your success matters to God.

    Thank You Again...For Partnering With Me In The Eternal Gospel..! The work of God is the greatest soil on earth...and guarantees an Uncommon Harvest of Divine Favor.

 Your Faith Partner,

image.png

PG Vargis

Oct 1, 2015, 6:30:12 PM10/1/15
to leadershiptip...@googlegroups.com

Inline image 1A leader is like a river. Starts as a small stream. But gathers on the way other streams and becomes a mighty river – feeding people, cattle and agricultural lands and nourishing forests. It never stops working – day and night. A river exists for others and then vanishes.  You can be a Pampa river of Kerala or Ganges of India or Amazon. The choice is yours.

P G Vargis

Leadership note. Grow with me.

And share this with others. Let the world grow.

============================

Never Give Up

Sir Winston Churchill has been described as Britain’s greatest ever leader. He lived a long, heroic life and he rallied a nation with his inspiring rhetoric. One of the most striking parts of his biography is that he had to resign from the Admiralty during WWI over the failed Dardanelles campaign. He had failed spectacularly, yet he was to learn not to give up.

Legend has it that once, when he returned to his old school, Harrow, to address the boys, the whole school assembled to listen to his words of wisdom. The great man arose to speak: ‘Young men; never give up, never give up, never give up.’ The entire speech lasted only a few seconds. Then he sat down. No one present ever forgot his words.

That is, at least, the popular version of the story. Churchill did indeed say words to that effect, but as part of a longer speech. Towards the end of the speech he said, ‘Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.’

In today’s generation our lives have become so instantaneous that anything requiring patient perseverance can appear unattractive. We require instant returns and instant results. But sometimes the biggest pay-offs are a long time coming.

PROVERBS 23:10-18

1. Never give up being enthusiastic

‘Do not let your heart envy sinners, but always be zealous for the fear of the Lord. There is surely a future hope for you, and your hope will not be cut off’ (vv.17–18).

St Paul wrote something similar: ‘Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervour’ (Romans 12:11). We should be as enthusiastic as the day we first encountered Jesus. As Bear Grylls says, ‘Be the most enthusiastic person you know. Enthusiasm sustains you when times are tough, encourages those around you and is totally infectious.’

Looking back through an old Bible, I see that many years ago I wrote in the margin next to these verses in Proverbs: ‘I am feeling rather envious of the people [my work colleagues at the time] and their work. This is the Lord’s word to me – not to be envious, but instead to be zealous for him – and he promises “a bright future” (Proverbs 23:18, GNB). Praise the Lord for that promise to cling to for my work.’

Lord, help me never to be lacking in zeal, but to keep my spiritual fervour. Keep me from envy. Thank you that you promise me ‘a bright future’.

GALATIANS 6:1-18

2. Never give up doing good

‘Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up’ (v.9).

As Paul reached the end of this letter, he encouraged the Galatians to work together as a team. If someone is going off the path, seek to restore them gently (v.1a). But also watch yourself lest you be tempted (v.1b). You are responsible for your own life: ‘Each one should test his own actions… for each one should carry his own load’ (vv.4–5).

We also have a responsibility for other members of the team: ‘Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfil the law of Christ’ (v.2).

Paul assumes we all have burdens. The word used means ‘heavy burdens’. It is a wide-ranging term that includes suffering, illnesses, physical disabilities, sorrows, grief, worries, responsibilities (financial and other), temptations, errors, doubts, weaknesses and failures (moral and other). In other words, it includes any and every load that is hard to bear.

One of the ways in which Jesus bears these burdens of yours is through human friendship. This was the way in which Titus helped to bear Paul’s burdens.

I like to be independent and self-sufficient, not relying on other people, but I am designed to be a burden to you and you are designed to be a burden to me: ‘Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfil the law of Christ’ (v.2).

I can only say that in my own life I am so grateful to those close friends with whom we talk and pray regularly, who have helped us at times when the burdens have seemed too heavy for us to carry alone. We have been through many things together. We have suffered together and rejoiced together. All this has helped to spread the load.

The object of the team is to carry on sowing good seed. ‘People reap what they sow. Those who sow to please their sinful nature, from that nature will reap destruction; those who sow to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life’ (vv.7–8).

So, St Paul wrote to the Galatians, ‘Do not give up’ (v.9). The temptation is to become weary in doing good. But the promise is that you will reap a harvest if you do not give up. Take every opportunity to do good to all people, ‘especially to those who belong to the family of believers’ (v.10).

There are so many discouragements around. There are huge temptations to give up. When you sow a seed, you do not see the results immediately; it takes time. Sometimes, it’s only when we look back years later that we can see that the seed we have sown has finally borne a harvest. There are also many seeds sown about which we will know nothing until we see the harvest in heaven. One of the keys to staying positive is to keep an eternal perspective.

Paul never gave up preaching the simple message of the ‘cross of Christ’ (v.12). He kept on going and he kept on sowing. He refused to add or subtract from the message. He also refused to preach a more popular message in order to avoid persecution (v.12). As a result, he was persecuted. He wrote, ‘I bear on my body the marks of Jesus’ (v.17).

Lord, help me to keep on sowing, keep on doing good, and hold on to your promise that, at the proper time, we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.

ISAIAH 49:8-51:16

3. Never give up trusting in God’s love

Each morning, Isaiah waited on God to speak to him and to instruct him, so that he would know the right words to ‘sustain the weary’ – to encourage those who were tempted to give up (50:4).

In this passage, the way he did this was by speaking to them about God’s love for them. He spoke of God’s compassion (49:10–13), and he used five analogies for God’s love.

•       Shepherd

God loves you as a shepherd loves his sheep. God, as the shepherd of Israel, will lead his people back out of exile. In his love, he will make even obstacles serve his purpose: ‘I’ll make all my mountains into roads, turn them into a superhighway’ (v.11, MSG). Jesus picks up this picture of the good shepherd and applies it to himself (John 10:3–15).

•       Mother

God’s love for you is greater than any mother’s love for their child. The objection was raised that God would not restore his people (Isaiah 49:14). The prophet replies, ‘Can a mother forget the infant at her breast, walk away from the baby she bore? But even if mothers forget, I’d never forget you – never’ (v.15, MSG).

•       Engraver

The Lord says, ‘I have indelibly imprinted (tattooed a picture of) you on the palm of each of My hands’ (v.16, AMP). The Babylonians used tattoos to remind them of the person they loved. God’s love and commitment to you is demonstrated by his engraving of you on the palms of his hands.

•       Conqueror

Another objection is raised that even God is not strong enough to bring about restoration (v.24). To this objection, the prophet replies that God’s love is like a conqueror (vv.25–26). He is strong enough to carry out his purposes for you and to fight against those who oppress you (v.25).

•       Husband

The people were saying God had divorced them because of their sins. God replies that although it was their weakness and their sin that caused the exile, God is able to restore them. He has not divorced them or sold them into slavery (50:1). No one is too far out of God’s reach. He is married to his people. His love for you is greater than the greatest love between a husband and a wife.

Isaiah urges people to keep on trusting in the Lord: ‘Those who hope in me will not be disappointed’ (49:23). God will rescue them through his suffering servant. ‘I did not hide my face from mocking and spitting. Because the Sovereign Lord helps me, I will not be disgraced. Therefore, have I set my face like flint’ (50:6–7).

Jesus, knowing that he was going to be mocked and spat upon, set his face like flint and went to Jerusalem knowing that he would be crucified there. He was utterly determined. He did not give up. God vindicated him (v.8). The result was a great victory and a great harvest.

Lord, thank you that those who put their trust in you will never be disappointed. Help me to keep on trusting in your great love for me.

image.png