LDSC: Weekend security resets/unlocks please...

Larry Autry

Jan 15, 2011, 10:06:06 PM1/15/11
to Discussion for LDS Church Ward/Stake Clerks/Secretaries
>From LDSClerks: Please see bottom of this message for subscription instructions and list URL.
-
-
Today, I installed three new computers (Optiplex 780s). The first two went
fine. The third one however seemed to have a graphics problem. First the
computer froze after a while. A bit later, it "black screened". Then, it got
dithered stripes, reminiscent of a herring bone pattern. Finally, the BSOD
appeared. I decided to swap the hard disks. (I'm so very glad both of these
Dells had AMD CPUs.) I will ask the FM group to deal with Dell on Tuesday
(MLK Day is a Church holiday). A disk swap would not have been necessary if
I could have called GSD for a security reset. This is also the unit that
needs MLS in Spanish. That was a no go as well. (What replaced
MLS.properties?) This is not the first weekend that a security reset would
have been helpful. This was a long, frustrating day (wah). :)

--
Larry Autry
Or visit the LDS Clerks wiki at:
http://www.ldsclerks.org/

Dana Repouille

Jan 16, 2011, 9:04:06 AM1/16/11
to Discussion for LDS Church Ward/Stake Clerks/Secretaries
>From LDSClerks: Please see bottom of this message for subscription instructions and list URL.
-
-
My FM told me to work directly with Dell on return and replacement of
systems and parts.

If you swap hard drives, you also swap the identity of the computers. You
may want to check each computer's "name" to avoid confusion in the future.

Dana

Larry Autry

Jan 16, 2011, 4:17:43 PM1/16/11
to Discussion for LDS Church Ward/Stake Clerks/Secretaries
>From LDSClerks: Please see bottom of this message for subscription instructions and list URL.
-
-
I don't mind calling Dell, but I just can't be there in the daytime. I'm
dropping the system off in the Stake Clerk's office. It's in the same
building as the FM group. I'll have to coordinate with them because they are
often out. The system can either be picked up by UPS or be available for on
site support if that's a possibility. As far as I'm concerned they could
ship us a new tower.

I swapped the disks knowing that the identity of the new system was on the
new disk. All is well as the send/receive was successful. I will have to
switch them back, of course. If they provide us a hard drive with a
replacement system, I'll swap those drives as well. No way I want to reload
everything.

--
Thanks,
Larry Autry