LDSC: ordinance

Jeff

Nov 29, 2010, 6:44:30 PM11/29/10
to LDSClerks
>From LDSClerks: Please see bottom of this message for subscription instructions and list URL.
-
I had a member ask my why two children that his wife had by a first
marriage and sealed to him and her didn't show up in his ordinance summary sheet.

After speaking with him for a bit, he told me that he didn't legally adopt
them because his wife wanted them to keep the first husband's surname.

Is this the reason that they don't show up on that summary is because they
aren't legally tied to him?

Thanks

Jeff Worthington
Morton Ward
Peoria IL Stake
Or visit the LDS Clerks wiki at:
http://www.ldsclerks.org/

Alan Brown

Nov 29, 2010, 11:32:56 PM11/29/10
to Discussion for LDS Church Ward/Stake Clerks/Secretaries
On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 4:44 PM, Jeff <jwo...@comcast.net> wrote:
> I had a member ask my why two children that his wife had by a first
> marriage and sealed to him and her didn't show up in his ordinance summary sheet.
>
> After speaking with him for a bit, he told me that he didn't legally adopt
> them because his wife wanted them to keep the first husband's surname.
>
> Is this the reason that they don't show up on that summary is because they
> aren't legally tied to him?

Yes. The Individual Ordinance Summary shows legal children. You are
not supposed to add children to a parent in MLS unless they are
legally adopted. The MLS help file says "The bishop should verify that
all legal requirements have been completed before you record
adoptions." However, in this case you said that there was no adoption,
therefore the children should not be recorded as children of the
father.

Furthermore, as I understand the policy (see section 3.6.2 in Handbook
1), those children never should have been sealed to him if he was not
legally their adoptive father. But since it has already been done, I'm
not sure what can or should be done about it. That's a decision for
the appropriate priesthood leaders.

Alan Brown
Assistant Stake Clerk
Sandy Utah Crescent Stake

jwo...@comcast.net

Nov 30, 2010, 9:00:59 AM11/30/10
to Discussion for LDS Church Ward/Stake Clerks/Secretaries
>From LDSClerks: Please see bottom of this message for subscription instructions and list URL.
-
-
Having a hrd time finding that reference section, 3.6.2. Is that what you meant?

jwo...@comcast.net

Nov 30, 2010, 3:51:59 PM11/30/10
to Discussion for LDS Church Ward/Stake Clerks/Secretaries
>From LDSClerks: Please see bottom of this message for subscription instructions and list URL.
-
-
Although he showed me his ordinance sheet, I wonder if his wife is actually sealed to them since they are her kids.

Her first husband is a non-member too.

Either way, he isn't really sealed to any of her kids, just his from a previous marriage.

Jeff Worthington
Morton Ward
Peoria Illinois stake

Nov 30, 2010, 6:03:18 PM11/30/10
to jwo...@comcast.net, Discussion for LDS Church Ward/Stake Clerks/Secretaries
On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 7:00 AM, <jwo...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Having a hrd time finding that reference section, 3.6.2. Is that what you meant?

Yes, that's what I meant. Note that I specifically said that it was in
Handbook 1, so don't try to find that section in Handbook 2.

Alan Brown
Assistant Stake Clerk
Sandy Utah Crescent Stake

Jeff

Nov 30, 2010, 10:19:14 PM11/30/10
to Discussion for LDS Church Ward/Stake Clerks/Secretaries
>From LDSClerks: Please see bottom of this message for subscription instructions and list URL.
-
-
Reading from that section of Handbook 1 that you mentioned, I think that the
ordinance is in effect.

Quoting from the manual:

A living endowed member (children of this man's wife of whom he is not the
father of) who is 21 or older, or who is married and was not born in the
covenant (the natural father was not a member) and has not been sealed to
parents, may be sealed to one natural parent and a stepparent if the natural
mother and father are not sealed to each other (which they wouldn't be since
he was never a member).

This doesn't mention anything about having to legally adopt them to perform
the ordinance so it sounds like it was done correctly.

It sounds like those children won't be linked directly to him in MLS but
they will be tied to the natural mother and show up on her ordinance sheet.

Jeff Worthington
Morton Ward
Peoria IL Stake