LDSC: Another MLS Glitch

已查看 35 次
跳至第一个未读帖子

Dana Repouille

未读,
2009年1月24日 11:04:352009/1/24
收件人 Discussion for LDS Church Ward/Stake Clerks/Secretaries
>From LDSClerks: Please see bottom of this message for subscription instructions and list URL.
-
-
I've dealt with this problem several times in several wards, and it is still
happening. When they try to login to MLS, the list of usernames is gone. I
will have to fall back to the most recent backup that works, and then figure
out what transactions were lost.

I wonder if this will ever be fixed.

Dana

Or visit the LDS Clerks wiki at:
http://www.ldsclerks.org/

Larry Jackson

未读,
2009年1月24日 12:00:412009/1/24
收件人 LDSC
>From LDSClerks: Please see bottom of this message for subscription instructions and list URL.
-
-
Dana Repouille:

When they try to login to MLS, the list of usernames is gone. I will
have to fall back to the most recent backup that works, and then figure
out what transactions were lost.

I wonder if this will ever be fixed.

_______________

There is nothing to fix. I have many wards that have never had this
problem. In the case of the wards that have had this problem, the cause
is always the same.

The program was not shut down properly.

The last thing MLS writes is the password and login file. If the
computer is turned off before the program completely exits, this file is
not written and the logins go away.

I would suggest that one improvement could be to not close out the
splash screen until the program has truly ended. Sadly, when the
program screen goes away, things are still happening behind the scenes.
This can cause problems.

The same is true of the operating system.

But the best way to keep this problem from occurring is to make certain
that MLS has completely ended, and to shut down the computer properly so
that Java also closes properly.

If you just pull the plug you are in trouble.
If you get hit by lightning, you are in trouble.

But the latter is an act of God that you can do nothing about. [grin]

Larry Jackson

Russell Hltn

未读,
2009年1月24日 15:13:282009/1/24
On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 7:00 AM, Larry Jackson <laja...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If you just pull the plug you are in trouble.
> If you get hit by lightning, you are in trouble.

If the users shut the computer down with the power bar, you are in trouble.

I had one ward that corrupted their MLS a couple of time. I posted
clear, simple instructions on how to shutdown the computer on a small
piece of paper and stuck it on the corner of the monitor. Never had a
problem since.

In a typical ward there are several computer users. It may include
various presidencies. It only takes one dummy to mess it up.

If you open up the file C:\Program Files\LDS Church\MLS\mlslog.txt and
search on "###", you'll see who is logging into MLS when. The next
time that happens, see who was the last to log into MLS and go have a
chat with that person. Since this is stored outside of the database
area, it should still be there even after you restore.

Stake Clerk

未读,
2009年2月11日 20:54:472009/2/11
收件人 Discussion for LDS Church Ward/Stake Clerks/Secretaries
>From LDSClerks: Please see bottom of this message for subscription instructions and list URL.
-
-
A 16 Jan letter from the First Presidency announced a new DVD entitled
"Basic Principals of Welfare and Self-Reliance" that would be mailed soon.
Has anyone seen that yet? We've scheduled a meeting to show the DVD at and
I'm a little nervous I'll have to substitute Johnny Lingo or something like
that. . .

Jerry Rose

未读,
2009年2月11日 21:58:442009/2/11
From: Stake Clerk

A 16 Jan letter from the First Presidency announced a new DVD entitled
"Basic Principals of Welfare and Self-Reliance" that would be mailed soon.
Has anyone seen that yet? We've scheduled a meeting to show the DVD at and
I'm a little nervous I'll have to substitute Johnny Lingo or something like
that. . .

- - - - -
Nope. My presidency decided to wait for the DVD to arrive before scheduling
the meeting requested in the letter.

A stake clerk in Nebraska

nbhlists

未读,
2009年2月12日 23:32:152009/2/12
收件人 Discussion for LDS Church Ward/Stake Clerks/Secretaries
>From LDSClerks: Please see bottom of this message for subscription instructions and list URL.
-
-
Is there a way to create a mailing list from MLS that lists the PO
boxes rather than the physical addresses? The only way I can see to
do this is to print the labels on regular paper. Would be nice if I
could make this more compact.

Thanks,

Neil Holmes

Neil B. Holmes
Ward Clerk
Buckeye First Ward
Buckeye Arizona Stake
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Eric Bunker

未读,
2009年2月12日 23:48:412009/2/12
收件人 Discussion for LDS Church Ward/Stake Clerks/Secretaries
>From LDSClerks: Please see bottom of this message for subscription instructions and list URL.
-
-
Usually PO Boxes show up in the Address 2 line. If that is the case, you
can do it two ways.

One is to create a custom list in MLS. If you are doing it for your ward
just select Head of House in criteria and in formatting select Head of House
or Head of House and spouse, address 2, city, state, postal code and the hit
the print label button on the bottom of the screen. It will print labels
using the Avery standard address labels.

Another way is to print the custom report to an excel doc and use mail merge
in word. This will allow you to use different kinds of labels or vary the
order of the name line.

Eric Bunker

Queen Creek Arizona Chandler Heights Stake

From: "nbhlists" <nbhl...@cox.net>
To: "Discussion for LDS Church Ward/Stake Clerks/Secretaries"
<ldsc...@lists.mormonstoday.com>

Russell Hltn

未读,
2009年2月27日 13:08:192009/2/27
On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 6:22 PM, nbhlists <nbhl...@cox.net> wrote:

> Second question that I got asked from my stake clerk is what the
> minimum requirements are now for MLS.  Any ideas?  (We don't have a
> tech stake clerk at the moment.)

Ummm, just before anyone gets any ideas, it's not allowed to accept
donated computers or purchase computers for administrative use. Your
one and only source is the FM group.

Ron & Pam

未读,
2009年3月1日 23:11:472009/3/1
收件人 Discussion for LDS Church Ward/Stake Clerks/Secretaries
>From LDSClerks: Please see bottom of this message for subscription instructions and list URL.
-
-
Just received a couple of replacement pc's for old GX270s that have gone
back to dust. I am wondering if there is any newer versions of the Desktop
programming dated later than 3 July 2006? Even went to WallyWorld for an
external DVD burner that could load the first three CDs, but errored (?) out
on the 4th and, of course, the last one. Took the instructions from the MLS
site and the clerk's wikipedia regarding the work-around using the standard
Dell build to reload it's original programming, but I am confused that it
(the orginal one, and only one, XP cd that came with the computer) could
load from the internal CD-drive. Earlier posts made mention of issues
because these are SATA drives and to press F6 to load additional drivers
(didn't work by the way), but showed up as an option with the original cd.

Any ideas as to what I am so obviously missing here ??

Ron in Snowflake
Stake Tech Spec

Ron & Pam

未读,
2009年3月1日 23:18:532009/3/1
收件人 Discussion for LDS Church Ward/Stake Clerks/Secretaries
>From LDSClerks: Please see bottom of this message for subscription instructions and list URL.
-
-
CORRECTON: Dell Optiplex GX740s

From: "Russell Hltn" <russe...@gmail.com>
To: "Discussion for LDS Church Ward/Stake Clerks/Secretaries"
<ldsc...@lists.mormonstoday.com>

-
-

Ron in Snowflake

If the GX280 has SATA hard drives there would be no problem as long as the
CDROM is IDE.
As an assistant Tech. Spec. in Makakilo had a similar problem but I created
a self booting CD of the first disk with the correct SATA drivers for
included for use on the GX740's. Sent a copy to HQ but they have not
replied except to say that they have my submission.

That has been several years ago and they still have not deployed it to the
unit level.
I even made a DVD with all four disks on one, and sent that to them at the
same time.
All of my tests and uses since then work correctly without problems.

Paul E. Bueltmann, Jr.
Past Makakilo Tech. Spec.
Now in Hilo Stake, Hawaii
Assistant Extraction

Ron & Pam

未读,
2009年3月3日 07:41:492009/3/3
收件人 pau...@hawaiiantel.net、Discussion for LDS Church Ward/Stake Clerks/Secretaries
>From LDSClerks: Please see bottom of this message for subscription instructions and list URL.
-
-
Would you consider making a copy of the DVD or even the CD-Rom version that
could be available for "beta testing" by those without the additional
resources, for a dollar amount determined by you plus shipping ?? The 740s'
that were sent to me have DVD-Roms in them along with the Power DVD program
installed. Certainly would ease some of the frustration felt by some of the
group, myself included. The new pc's have some nice specs and run quite a
bit faster, with being dual-core processors, 80G hard drives and 1G of
memory.

Ron in Snowflake
Stake Tech Spec

Skier

未读,
2009年3月3日 08:58:422009/3/3
On Tue, March 3, 2009 7:41 am, Ron & Pam wrote:

> Would you consider making a copy of the DVD or even the CD-Rom version
> that could be available for "beta testing" by those without the additional
> resources, for a dollar amount determined by you plus shipping ??

There are any number of free online hosting services that would be perfect
to share an .iso

Russell Hltn

未读,
2009年3月3日 12:22:282009/3/3
On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 3:58 AM, Skier <ldss...@rusticate.net> wrote:
> -
> On Tue, March 3, 2009 7:41 am, Ron & Pam wrote:
>
> There are any number of free online hosting services that would be perfect
> to share an .iso

The problem is one is sharing a licensed copy of Windows. I doubt if
that would be legal.

Ron & Pam

未读,
2009年3月3日 12:48:142009/3/3
收件人 Discussion for LDS Church Ward/Stake Clerks/Secretaries
>From LDSClerks: Please see bottom of this message for subscription instructions and list URL.
-
-
While loading both machines, it (Desktop 5.5) never did ask for the serial
number for Windows XP. Maybe the church has a corporate version which
doesn't need it, but they do have to inform Microsoft of how many copies are
installed. Another reason for SLC to have access to our pc's. At least that
was the case with W2K Pro that I received from SLC a number of years ago.

-
> -
> On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 3:58 AM, Skier <ldss...@rusticate.net> wrote:

>> There are any number of free online hosting services that would be
>> perfect
>> to share an .iso

-
-
On Tue, March 3, 2009 12:22 pm, Russell Hltn wrote:

> The problem is one is sharing a licensed copy of Windows. I doubt if
> that would be legal.

Create the .iso to require the entry of the license key.

Paul E. Bueltmann, Jr.

未读,
2009年3月3日 14:06:442009/3/3