LDSC: Scan to PDF for archive or email.

Larry Autry

Jan 2, 2011, 11:37:27 PM1/2/11
to Discussion for LDS Church Ward/Stake Clerks/Secretaries
>From LDSClerks: Please see bottom of this message for subscription instructions and list URL.
-
-
Is there a multipurpose printer and software combination anyone has good
experience with that will scan and convert to PDF? It needs to be pretty
simple. I have a scanner on my personal computer that will do the job but
the program is so clumsy to use that I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who
does not know their way around computers.

Thanks,
Larry Autry
Or visit the LDS Clerks wiki at:
http://www.ldsclerks.org/

LDS Skier

Jan 3, 2011, 12:11:31 AM1/3/11
to Discussion for LDS Church Ward/Stake Clerks/Secretaries
>From LDSClerks: Please see bottom of this message for subscription instructions and list URL.
-
-
Scan AND convert, I am not aware. But pdf redirect will be more than happy
to convert for you, then use the scanner of your choice (even the built in
one) for the other half of the occasion.

Chuck Johnson

Jan 3, 2011, 1:13:55 AM1/3/11
to Discussion for LDS Church Ward/Stake Clerks/Secretaries
>From LDSClerks: Please see bottom of this message for subscription instructions and list URL.
-
-
On 1/2/2011 9:37 PM, Larry Autry wrote

> Is there a multipurpose printer and software combination anyone has good
> experience with that will scan and convert to PDF? It needs to be pretty
> simple.

I like CutePDF. It's free, and works as a virtual printer. Anything
you can "print" can be made into a PDF file.

Chuck Johnson - Taylorsville Utah Stake

Alan Brown

Jan 3, 2011, 8:29:28 AM1/3/11
On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 9:37 PM, Larry Autry <larry...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there a multipurpose printer and software combination anyone has good
> experience with that will scan and convert to PDF? It needs to be pretty
> simple. I have a scanner on my personal computer that will do the job but
> the program is so clumsy to use that I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who
> does not know their way around computers.

I have a Canon MX310 at home (it's an inkjet printer/scanner/copier).
It has an automatic document feeder for scanning multi-page documents.
When you have finished scanning, there is an option for "Save as PDF".
It saves the collection of scanned pages to a single PDF. It's very
easy to use. I would guess that other similar Canon devices use the
same software.

Alan Brown
Assistant Stake Clerk
Sandy Utah Crescent Stake

Larry Autry

Jan 3, 2011, 9:22:19 AM1/3/11
to Discussion for LDS Church Ward/Stake Clerks/Secretaries
>From LDSClerks: Please see bottom of this message for subscription instructions and list URL.
-
-
Thanks for the responses. It seems the way to go is to check into the
different versions of software included with each scanner.

Thanks,
Larry Autry

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

William Jackson

Jan 3, 2011, 8:41:41 AM1/3/11
to Discussion for LDS Church Ward/Stake Clerks/Secretaries
>From LDSClerks: Please see bottom of this message for subscription instructions and list URL.
-
-
> Is there a multipurpose printer and software combination anyone has good
> experience with that will scan and convert to PDF? It needs to be pretty
> simple.

I just helped my sister set up a new Dell V515w
printer/copier/scanner. The software that shipped with it had a
one-click scan to pdf button. I put the document on the scanner,
clicked the "Create PDF" button, and it asked me where to save it.
Can't get easier than that.

William

Larry Autry

Jan 3, 2011, 1:00:29 PM1/3/11
to Discussion for LDS Church Ward/Stake Clerks/Secretaries
>From LDSClerks: Please see bottom of this message for subscription instructions and list URL.
-
-
Sounds great, thank you.

On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 7:41 AM, William Jackson
<wil...@subtlecoolness.com>wrote:

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

bthomasj1971

Jan 3, 2011, 1:01:38 PM1/3/11
to ldsc...@lists.mormonstoday.com
>From LDSClerks: Please see bottom of this message for subscription instructions and list URL.
-
-
I have a Canon MX700 all-in-one that does that trick nicely, once it is set up. I don't mean to be promoting a specfic product, since it uses the same software package that my older Canon used, and I think it is that same that most Canon all-in-ones use.

It is connected to my home network and will scan directly to PDF and then drop it in a folder of your choice on that computer. You have to do the set up work though, but its not that hard, and once done it will do the same thing every time.

My only problem is that its not very efficient with the file sizes of the PDFs it creates; a white page with black text can be as large as 700k, whereas a similar document may be as small as 50k if it was created using Adobe. Add in scanning to color and the file sizes get huge. Not a big deal for archiving, but can be an issue for email.

~B

Larry Autry

Jan 3, 2011, 2:15:45 PM1/3/11
to Discussion for LDS Church Ward/Stake Clerks/Secretaries
>From LDSClerks: Please see bottom of this message for subscription instructions and list URL.
-
-
irfanview using the free Comsquare imPDF plug-in creates PDFs with efficient
file sizes. Using it requires you to navigate between apps which is what I
hope to minimize or possibly avoid.

Thanks,
Larry Autry

Skip Taylor

Jan 3, 2011, 2:21:25 PM1/3/11
to Discussion for LDS Church Ward/Stake Clerks/Secretaries
>From LDSClerks: Please see bottom of this message for subscription instructions and list URL.
-
-
Personally, I use a program called "Paperport" to do this. The newer
versions will scan and save to PDF as the default and also act as a PDF
editor. It's made by a company called Nuance and works with most
scanner/printer combos.

HTH,
Skip

On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 8:37 PM, Larry Autry <larry...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there a multipurpose printer and software combination anyone has good
> experience with that will scan and convert to PDF? It needs to be pretty
> simple. I have a scanner on my personal computer that will do the job but
> the program is so clumsy to use that I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who
> does not know their way around computers.
>
> Thanks,
> Larry Autry

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Larry Autry

Jan 3, 2011, 4:44:30 PM1/3/11
to Discussion for LDS Church Ward/Stake Clerks/Secretaries
>From LDSClerks: Please see bottom of this message for subscription instructions and list URL.
-
-
I used Paperport a long time ago (came with my scanner) and at that time I
thought it was a very intuitive product. I haven't had a need for it since
and I forgot about it until you just mentioned it. I'll take a look at
Paperport, too.

Thanks,
Larry

Larry Autry

Jan 4, 2011, 9:13:53 AM1/4/11
to Discussion for LDS Church Ward/Stake Clerks/Secretaries
>From LDSClerks: Please see bottom of this message for subscription instructions and list URL.
-
-
It appears the solution was right in front of me. We have a Xerox Workcentre
M20i as a printer/copier in our stake clerk's office. We had seldom used it
as a printer until recently. The product description lists the ability to
send single and double sided documents via email.
http://www.office.xerox.com/multifunction-printer/multifunction-under-30ppm/workcentre-m20-m20i/enus.html

--Larry Autry