LDSC: High Priest Group Assignments

simonsen

Jan 15, 2011, 3:11:44 PM1/15/11
to Discussion for LDS Church Ward/Stake Clerks/Secretaries
>From LDSClerks: Please see bottom of this message for subscription instructions and list URL.
-
-
Ever since I was called to be in the HP group leadership I have been
trying to figure out the answer to two questions.
I have not been successful so I will ask if any of you know the
answers. I was hoping that the new manuals we just got would shed some
light on the subjects but not much there.

I have reviewed the lists I can print out from MLS and the assignments
for the High Priest Group really don't seem to make any sense and need
to be changed. Are there any guidelines or does each ward or stake make
up their own plans?

The two main questions I have are:

1. Who is supposed to be a member of a ward's High Priest Group?
Is there any guidelines from church headquarters? Of course the
High Priests, but in addition who?
Is it the people who are on the list in MLS? Are they the ones
that are on the roll that MLS prints out?
A sub question is - who should I discuss this with? How do I
get changes made?

2. Who is supposed to be assigned to the High Priest Group for home
teaching?
Is there any guidelines from church headquarters? Of course
members of the group, but who in addition?
Again is it the assigned families in MLS? Are they the ones that
are on the MLS Home Teaching list?
A sub question is - who do I discuss this with? How do I get
changes made?

Any information you can share would be greatly appreciated.

Richard
Arroyo Grande, California

--
Richard N Simonsen
simo...@charter.net

Or visit the LDS Clerks wiki at:
http://www.ldsclerks.org/

Russell Hltn

Jan 15, 2011, 9:14:27 PM1/15/11
to Discussion for LDS Church Ward/Stake Clerks/Secretaries
>From LDSClerks: Please see bottom of this message for subscription instructions and list URL.
-
-
Short answer: you need to talk with the Bishop. The handbook gives
guidance as to who may be assigned to the HP for fellowship.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Larry Autry

Jan 15, 2011, 9:41:27 PM1/15/11
to Discussion for LDS Church Ward/Stake Clerks/Secretaries
>From LDSClerks: Please see bottom of this message for subscription instructions and list URL.
-
-
I suggest you discuss BOTH questions Sunday morning in your PEC meeting with
the Bishop and the EQ president.
Sometimes older Elders are invited to attend with the HPG. In MLS, you can
add those Elders to the HP group.

The second question has come up before. It can be different from one unit to
the next. As far as I know single adult women are _almost_ always assigned
to the HPG for HT. Usually, HPs are assigned other HPs families. For a
while, our ward mixed it up a lot. HPs were assigned more Elders for a while
and HPS taught more Elders.

In my experience, the Bishop has always taken the lead when there was any
question about priesthood class membership or assigning a family to the HPG
or EQ. It's then up to those leaders to assign a home teacher.

--
Larry Autry

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Eric Bunker

Jan 15, 2011, 8:26:14 PM1/15/11
to Discussion for LDS Church Ward/Stake Clerks/Secretaries
>From LDSClerks: Please see bottom of this message for subscription instructions and list URL.
-
-
Richard, my answers are in the body of the text.

> Ever since I was called to be in the HP group leadership I have been
> trying to figure out the answer to two questions.
> I have not been successful so I will ask if any of you know the answers.
> I was hoping that the new manuals we just got would shed some light on the
> subjects but not much there.
>
> I have reviewed the lists I can print out from MLS and the assignments for
> the High Priest Group really don't seem to make any sense and need to be
> changed. Are there any guidelines or does each ward or stake make up
> their own plans?
>
> The two main questions I have are:
>
> 1. Who is supposed to be a member of a ward's High Priest Group?
> Is there any guidelines from church headquarters? Of course the High
> Priests, but in addition who?

Answer: Any Elder or Prospective Elder whose age range fits that group.
The bishop via the Ward Council is to decide that. Especially when it comes
to inactive prospective elders who are younger, as it is the High Priests
job to take care of inactive prospective elders, unless the elders quorum
would be the better fit. It is really a divide the work kind of thing. It
is kind of the question for the younger inactive prospective elders if they
would respond better with peer aged brother or do they need a fatherly
figure.

> Is it the people who are on the list in MLS? Are they the ones that
> are on the roll that MLS prints out?
> A sub question is - who should I discuss this with? How do I get
> changes made?

Answer: MLS uses a formula based on age, priesthood office and general
handbook instructions to assign class and group assignments. Your ward or
membership clerk should know how to change group and class assignments in
MLS. If he doesn't know how, he can read the MLS handbook, contact this
stake clerks, or if that fails he can contact this group for specific
instructions. my email is :embun...@msn.com

> 2. Who is supposed to be assigned to the High Priest Group for home
> teaching?

Answer: All high priests, widows of high priests, Single sisters in the
High Priest age range, active Elders and prospective elders in the high
priest age range, and an all inactive prospective elders except for the ones
the bishop via the ward council feels that would be better taught by the
Elders. A very important one is all divorced women as directed by the
bishop and ward council. It is a safety thing. Divorced women can be very
needy. We need to be able to take care of them with out married home
teachers getting romantically attached to them. It is more likely to happen
if their home teachers are near in age range.

> A sub question is - who do I discuss this with? How do I get changes
> made?

Answer: Search out all such questions in handbook 1 and 2, and then use the
ward council to make decisions and the ward clerks to make the changes.
Handbook 2 is online, and you should have a copy. The ward clerk has an
office copy of Handbook 1. Also use your assigned High Counselor for input
as he is your best connection to your quorum presidency, that being the
stake presidency.

Eric Bunker
Queen Creek Az Chandler Heights Stake

Eric Bunker

Jan 15, 2011, 8:26:14 PM1/15/11
> [...]

Elders. A very important one is all divorced women as directed by the
bishop and ward council. It is a safety thing. Divorced women can be very
needy. We need to be able to take care of them with out married home
teachers getting romantically attached to them. It is more likely to happen
if their home teachers are near in age range.

> A sub question is - who do I discuss this with? How do I get changes
> made?

Answer: Search out all such questions in handbook 1 and 2, and then use the

ward council to make decisions and the ward clerks to make the changes.
Handbook 2 is online, and you should have a copy. The ward clerk has an
office copy of Handbook 1. Also use your assigned High Counselor for input
as he is your best connection to your quorum presidency, that being the

Russell Hltn

Jan 15, 2011, 11:36:43 PM1/15/11
to Discussion for LDS Church Ward/Stake Clerks/Secretaries
>From LDSClerks: Please see bottom of this message for subscription instructions and list URL.
-
-
Longer answer: From Handbook 2, 7.6.1:

"The bishop counsels with quorum and group leaders and each
prospective elder to determine whether the prospective elder should
meet with the elders quorum or the high priests group for instruction
and activities. The bishop considers the relationships the prospective
elder may have with the elders or high priests in the ward and the age
and needs of the prospective elder."

I don't know how MLS makes quorum assignments for older "Prospective
Elders". It certainly doesn't make any automatic assignments for Home
Teaching.

I'm guessing that you are seeing a number of less-active non-HP on
your list. My short answer still applies - talk to the Bishop.

On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 4:14 PM, Russell Hltn <russe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Short answer: you need to talk with the Bishop.   The handbook gives
> guidance as to who may be assigned to the HP for fellowship.

Eric Bunker

Jan 15, 2011, 11:28:29 PM1/15/11
to Discussion for LDS Church Ward/Stake Clerks/Secretaries
>From LDSClerks: Please see bottom of this message for subscription instructions and list URL.
-
-
Look in handbook 2, 4.6, 7.4 and 7.6