LDSC: TeamViewer

Dana Repouille

Jan 15, 2011, 1:23:36 PM1/15/11
to Discussion for LDS Church Ward/Stake Clerks/Secretaries
>From LDSClerks: Please see bottom of this message for subscription instructions and list URL.
-
-
I routinely travel around the stake to ensure all computers are updated and
running well. Sometimes I find extra software installed on administrative
computers. I don't worry about FireFox or Chrome, as long as they are
updated. Today, I found TeamViewer installed on a clerk's computer. I had
never heard of it.

Apparently there is a free version of TeamViewer available for download.
"TeamViewer connects to any PC or server around the world within a few
seconds. You can remote control your partner's PC as if you were sitting
right in front of it."

I uninstalled it. Should I start cracking heads, too?

Thanks,

Dana

Or visit the LDS Clerks wiki at:
http://www.ldsclerks.org/

Russell Hltn

Jan 15, 2011, 4:51:39 PM1/15/11
to Discussion for LDS Church Ward/Stake Clerks/Secretaries
>From LDSClerks: Please see bottom of this message for subscription instructions and list URL.
-
-
It depends. Do you have to have someone in front of the computer to
connect to it? Using it for remote support seems to be something of a
gray area. But the, it appears YOU are supposed to be the support
person.

If it's being used to work from home, then I'd be more inclined to crack heads.

You might want to find a way of sabotaging the install such that it
can not be used nor reinstalled. Perhaps editing the rights to the
directory.

Larry Jackson

Jan 15, 2011, 5:39:43 PM1/15/11
to LDSC
On 1/15/2011 12:23 PM, Dana Repouille wrote:

> Today, I found TeamViewer installed on a clerk's computer.

> I uninstalled it. Should I start cracking heads, too?

Well, at the very least, you probably ought to find out who installed it
and, more importantly, why.

Larry Jackson

Terry R. Palmer

Jan 15, 2011, 5:10:52 PM1/15/11
to drepo...@hotmail.com, ldsc...@lists.mormonstoday.com
>From LDSClerks: Please see bottom of this message for subscription instructions and list URL.
-
-
Dana, I wouldn't crack heads too bad, but I would tell my clerks that TEamViewer is only to be used when the clerk needs help from the stake clerk. Also with the new website, there is a lot of things that the clerk can do on-line at home and the likely the need to go to the chapel to get things done has been reduced. I am planning to teach my clerks at stake conference about this.. Now if they are using it to remote into the machine and work with it from home then I would crack heads.

I have used TeamViewer to help one of my clerks and I think there is a place for it because it would save me/us travel time.

Terry R. Palmer
harddr...@verizon.net
www.ldsdcsingles.com
IM: trippal
YM: trip_pal

On Jan 15, 2011, Dana Repouille <drepo...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>From LDSClerks: Please see bottom of this message for subscription instructions and list URL.
-
-

I routinely travel around the stake to ensure all computers are updated and
running well. Sometimes I find extra software installed on administrative
computers. I don't worry about FireFox or Chrome, as long as they are
updated. Today, I found TeamViewer installed on a clerk's computer. I had
never heard of it.

Apparently there is a free version of TeamViewer available for download.
"TeamViewer connects to any PC or server around the world within a few
seconds. You can remote control your partner's PC as if you were sitting
right in front of it."

I uninstalled it. Should I start cracking heads, too?

Thanks,

Dana

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Skip Taylor

Jan 15, 2011, 7:02:55 PM1/15/11
to Discussion for LDS Church Ward/Stake Clerks/Secretaries
>From LDSClerks: Please see bottom of this message for subscription instructions and list URL.
-
-
My Stake President allows me to use this for remote support. The only
file on the remote user machine is the QS file (one file runtime
that's not installed) which is primarily for inbound usage.  It's
great as we cover a fairly large geographic area. There is no way to
get into the machine without someone at the computer that way (to read
the ID and password to you). The full install does allow someone into
the machine without someone present as it allows a password system for
full time access.

If the Stake Pres. didn't approve it, I'd say it should be off the machine.

My 2cents worth,
Skip

On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 10:23 AM, Dana Repouille <drepo...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> >From LDSClerks: Please see bottom of this message for subscription instructions and list URL.
> -
> -
> I routinely travel around the stake to ensure all computers are updated and
> running well. Sometimes I find extra software installed on administrative
> computers. I don't worry about FireFox or Chrome, as long as they are
> updated. Today, I found TeamViewer installed on a clerk's computer. I had
> never heard of it.
>

> Apparently there is a free version of TeamViewer available for download.
> "TeamViewer connects to any PC or server around the world within a few
> seconds. You can remote control your partner's PC as if you were sitting
> right in front of it."
>

> I uninstalled it. Should I start cracking heads, too?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Dana

____________________________

Larry Autry

Jan 15, 2011, 9:17:54 PM1/15/11
to Discussion for LDS Church Ward/Stake Clerks/Secretaries
>From LDSClerks: Please see bottom of this message for subscription instructions and list URL.
-
-
On our previous batch of unit computer relegated the clerk to a standard
user. User "clerk" couldn't even look at the calendar in the system tray.
Anyway, you can make the user clerk in that unit a standard user if you
really need to. If you do, don't forget to change the admin password.

--
Larry Autry

LESLIE SEAMAN

Jan 15, 2011, 8:13:31 PM1/15/11
to ldsc...@lists.mormonstoday.com
>From LDSClerks: Please see bottom of this message for subscription instructions and list URL.
-
-

A worker from LDS maps division had me load on my computer so he could teach me how to do maps online and observe my computer at the same time.

Les Seaman

> Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 11:51:39 -1000
> From: russe...@gmail.com
> To: ldsc...@lists.mormonstoday.com
> Subject: Re: LDSC: TeamViewer

LDS Skier

Jan 15, 2011, 10:38:40 PM1/15/11
to Discussion for LDS Church Ward/Stake Clerks/Secretaries
>From LDSClerks: Please see bottom of this message for subscription instructions and list URL.
-
-

[Skier]

Keeping in mind that Global Services uses Team Viewer to provide remote
support to the units and it might have been installed under their direction
to resolve an issue...

The most recent policy letter (2009) states "Authorized word processing,
spreadsheet,
antivirus, and remote access applications are also available" so it would
seem fairly clear to me that remote access applications are allowed under
CHQ policy. Since no specific applications are identified and absent other
clarification then it stands to reason that the next bit is the most
important for the question at hand:

"No other software should be purchased or
installed on Church computers unless it is
approved by the stake president, is appropriately
licensed, and does not interfere with the
operation of or compromise the security of the
Church software and data already on the
computer."

Team Viewer is free to use for churches (I wrote them and asked them
explicitly about this) so the licensing issue isn't a question. This leaves
the final word up to the stake president - if he gives the ok then I
wouldn't see a problem with it.

Team Viewer is secure, using encrypted sessions and requires both a 9 digit
session ID and a 2nd password to connect to a remote machine. In order for
somebody to connect to the machine remotely the computer has to be on (I
don't think the stock configuration allows for wake on LAN even if you could
hit the machine through the firewall), has to know the 9 digit session code
(which regenerates every time the computer reboots) and the password which
is only known to somebody sitting at the computer and can read it to the
person at the remote site.

Larry Autry

Jan 16, 2011, 11:17:13 AM1/16/11
to Discussion for LDS Church Ward/Stake Clerks/Secretaries
>From LDSClerks: Please see bottom of this message for subscription instructions and list URL.
-
-
With the two of our building being 57 miles apart, a remote session would be
great sometimes. What wrong with RDP or VNC? Are 3889 and 5900 blocked?

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

LDS Skier

Jan 16, 2011, 8:38:21 PM1/16/11
to Discussion for LDS Church Ward/Stake Clerks/Secretaries
>From LDSClerks: Please see bottom of this message for subscription instructions and list URL.
-
-

Don't know if they are or aren't - never tried.

Larry Autry

Jan 17, 2011, 6:11:46 AM1/17/11
to Discussion for LDS Church Ward/Stake Clerks/Secretaries
>From LDSClerks: Please see bottom of this message for subscription instructions and list URL.
-
-
I meant 3389.

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Russell Hltn

Jan 19, 2011, 6:24:52 PM1/19/11
On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 4:17 PM, Larry Autry <larry...@gmail.com> wrote:
> -
> On our previous batch of unit computer relegated the clerk to a standard
> user.  User "clerk" couldn't even look at the calendar in the system tray.

Until very recently, the policy was for a single login with Windows
admin rights to do all MLS work.

The restriction on the clock/calendar is a separate issue. It's there
to prevent users who attempt to use the "handy calendar" from changing
the date and messing up MLS. Yes, it can be set so that not even
admins can change it.

Russell Hltn

Jan 19, 2011, 6:27:30 PM1/19/11
On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 6:17 AM, Larry Autry <larry...@gmail.com> wrote:
> -
> With the two of our building being 57 miles apart, a remote session would be
> great sometimes. What wrong with RDP or VNC? Are 3889 and 5900 blocked?

It would be interesting to try between Church buildings. It might
work since they are part of the VPN. From the outside, it wouldn't
work. The computer doesn't have a "public IP", so the router would
have to be instructed as to where to forward that port to. And that's
ignoring the security issues.

Richard B. Pyne

Jan 20, 2011, 8:33:41 PM1/20/11
to Discussion for LDS Church Ward/Stake Clerks/Secretaries
>From LDSClerks: Please see bottom of this message for subscription instructions and list URL.
-
-
I know VPN is blocked. I used to use it so I could access MLS while in
Bishopric Meeting and PEC. When they changed to Sophos firewall, they
blocked VNC.

On 1/16/2011 9:17 AM, Larry Autry wrote:
> > From LDSClerks: Please see bottom of this message for subscription instructions and list URL.
> -
> -

> With the two of our building being 57 miles apart, a remote session would be
> great sometimes. What wrong with RDP or VNC? Are 3889 and 5900 blocked?

Richard B. Pyne

Jan 21, 2011, 3:16:43 PM1/21/11
to ldsc...@lists.mormonstoday.com
>From LDSClerks: Please see bottom of this message for subscription instructions and list URL.