Python support on latest ubuntu 20.04 and python 3.8

Karl Tiedt

Oct 18, 2020, 11:18:16 PM10/18/20
to Ldmud Talk
So finally making some more time to work on my driver update with python support and when I went to re-compile the ldmud driver (latest from github) on my home server which had recently been upgraded to Ubuntu 20.04. It seems despite "finding python" it still ends up disabling python support at the end of ./configure. Compilation has never been my strong suit, so I'll provide as much details as I can on what I've tried so far...

Output from configure shows the following for Python
checking for PYTHON... yes
checking for Py_Initialize in -lpython3... no
checking for Py_Initialize in -lpython3... (cached) no
checking for Py_Initialize in -lpython3... (cached) no
checking for Py_Initialize in -lpython3... (cached) no
checking for Py_Initialize in -lpython3... (cached) no
checking for Py_Initialize in -lpython3... (cached) no
checking for Py_Initialize in -lpython3... (cached) no
Python3 library not found - disabling Python support

Aside from the distro upgrade, there were no other changes with the project I am working from... python and python3 --version each report:

Python 2.7.18
Python 3.8.5

I suspect maybe it has something to do with the details in this ticket... However, playing with the output from the potential fixes they list here, did not net me a successful configure either.

https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/64458

-Karl Tiedt

Gnomi

Oct 19, 2020, 7:07:25 AM10/19/20
to ldmud...@googlegroups.com
Hi Karl,

Karl Tiedt wrote:
> So finally making some more time to work on my driver update with python
> support and when I went to re-compile the ldmud driver (latest from github)
> on my home server which had recently been upgraded to Ubuntu 20.04.

I tested Ubuntu 20.04 and indeed their pkg-config doesn't print the
required libraries to link against for Python3. You can override this
by setting an environment variable for configure:

export PYTHON_LIBS=-lpython3.8

Regards,
Gnomi

Karl Tiedt

Oct 19, 2020, 3:37:25 PM10/19/20
to Ldmud Talk
Thank you Gnomi, that gets things moving again, I was trying the wrong ENVs to fix it as it turns out.

-Karl Tiedt