Possible upgrade from 3.3.720; gotchas?

Malcolm Tester

Jan 4, 2021, 6:59:26 PM1/4/21
to LDMud Talk
Hi mudders.  I'm debating whether to upgrade Infinity from 3.3.720 to whatever the latest is (3.6.3?).  Any gotchas anyone has encountered?  Should I upgrade to some other version first, and do it in steps?  I recall getting to 3.3.720 from the Amlyaar days was a huge pain with file_name changing to object_name and member_* all changing to member, etc.  Just wondering if I'm going to have similar pain upgrading again, and if it will be worth it.  Development is small these days, player base is also small, but I don't advertise, so I'm sure I could grow it again if desired.

Regards,
Malc @Infinity and Alatia

Michael Conley

Jan 4, 2021, 7:13:54 PM1/4/21
to Discussion of the LDMud driver.
StickMUD is on 3.6.3 - following the change notes, grep and a lot of typing is all you need!  Happy to advise where needed. We have a ldmud-driver channel on our Discord if you'd like to stop by.  Invite link is on our welcome screen.  Also happy to converse on protocols, mapping and mud clients.

-Tamarindo @ StickMUD

Malcolm Tester

Jan 5, 2021, 4:35:51 PM1/5/21
to LDMud Talk
Yeah, I recall for the original migration from Amylaar to 3.3, I had to write some perl scripts with sed to do a lot of conversions automatically, then go back and manually fix the odd cases where a wizard did something funky with the original efuns.  Hoping it's not as big a headache for the next one :)