Release of LDMud 3.6.5 and 3.5.5

Gnomi

Jan 9, 2022, 3:39:14 PM1/9/22
to Discussion of the LDMud driver.
Hello LDMudders,

the LDMud team is pleased to announce the release of LDMud 3.6.5 as
the latest stable LDMud release.

This release fixes several bugs including several crashes and is therefore
recommended for users of LDMud 3.6. We also released LDMud 3.5.5 which
only contains the fixes for those crashes. We seriously recommend users
of LDMud 3.5 to plan the transition to LDMud 3.6, because the codebases
start to differ significantly and we might not able to support LDMud 3.5
very much longer.

LDMud 3.6.5 contains several big new features:
* Introducing lightweight objects.
See https://github.com/ldmud/ldmud/blob/master/doc/LPC/lwobjects
* Introducing coroutines.
See https://github.com/ldmud/ldmud/blob/master/doc/LPC/coroutines
* Introducing named object types (e.g. object "/std/room" var;)
* Introducing the 'in' operator.
The operator will be a reserved word in LDMud 3.7.

We also bring you some shiny new pragmas:
* Pragma warn_dead_code warns about dead code.
* Pragma warn_unused_values warns about literals not being used.
* Pragma warn_applied_functions warns about incompatible declarations
of applied lfuns.

Beside that this release also got some smaller features and changes:
* When warn_deprecated is in effect a warning is given whenever
a float is used in a boolean context (like if(0.0)), because
a float, even 0.0, will always be interpreted as true.
* Warn when a given callback does not exist
* clone_object() passes further arguments to create().
* Added type checks for comparison operations.
* Python routines can now attach data to objects.

As announced with the previous release, the create() and reset()
functions will not receive an argument from the driver (0 or 1)
anymore.

Due to the new features LDMud 3.6.5 introduces new keywords:
async, await, coroutine, lwobject, yield
Check your mudlib for those keywords before updating.

Also these master lfuns may now get lwobjects passed as an argument for
permission checks:
privilege_violation, valid_read, valid_write

LDMud 3.5.5 can be downloaded from:
* http://www.ldmud.eu/download.html
* https://github.com/ldmud/ldmud/tree/3.5.5

LDMud 3.6.5 can be downloaded from:
* http://www.ldmud.eu/download.html
* https://github.com/ldmud/ldmud/tree/3.6.5

A list of changes can be found in the HISTORY file in the driver sources.

If you have any problems with LDMud, please don't hesitate to report them
at: https://mantis.ldmud.eu/mantis/
If you have any questions please ask either on ldmud...@googlegroups.com
or contact us at ldmu...@UNItopia.de.

Have fun!