Re: Contribute to the LDC

Kai

Oct 14, 2012, 7:01:43 AM10/14/12
to ldc...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rizo!

Thanks for your interest in contributing to LDC.

The structure of the project is simple:

- the dmd and dmd2 folders contain the DMD v1 and v2 frontend
- the gen and ir folders contain the glue code to create LLVM IR

Some more details are given in the wiki.

Except for the content of the LDC wiki, dlang.org and LLVM documentation
(see http://www.llvm.org/) there is nothing you can read.

My advise is to find an area where you like to contribute (e.g. fixing a
bug from old bug tracker; merging the DMD 1.070 frontend; ...) and
simply start reading the source and firing up the debugger. It is really
not as complicated as it may look for you now.

If you have questions then please don't hesitate to ask them on the list.

Regards
Kai

On 12.10.2012 04:24, Rizo Isrof wrote:
> Hi!
>
> First of all permit me introduce myself � my name is Rizo, I am a CS
> student from Portugal. I am writing this e-mail to ask for a little
> orientation in my autodidacting experiences dedicated to the study of
> the D programming language.
>
> I would like to start contributing to the LDC project. Unfortunately my
> knowledge of the compiler architecture is merely theoretical. Although I
> did worked a lot with the traditional tools like `bison` and `flex` and
> studied the fundamentals of the compiler building I do not think I am
> ready to start just hacking the code. What I ask you are any reading
> materials or advises about how to better understand the organization of
> the LDC project and to start contributing to the project.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Best regards,
> Rizo
>
> --
> BF6F0265: FB27 BB4C 8F03 4980 C311 0968 E66B 9831 BF6F 0265

Rizo Isrof

Oct 18, 2012, 7:54:27 PM10/18/12
to ldc...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kai!

Thank you for quickly answering my question and sorry for the delay. I've inspected some open issues and analyzed some parts of the code and, as you said, it is not as complicated as it looks.

As you may have already seen, David also pointed a lot of concrete starting points for contribution so I think now It will be just a matter of time for me to start doing some job.

Thanks again,
Rizo

--

Except for the content of the LDC wiki, dlang.org (http://dlang.org) and LLVM documentation