New forum, dropping D1 support

David Nadlinger

Feb 21, 2013, 5:44:38 PM2/21/13
to ldc...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

first, as you might have already noticed, we have a new LDC forum at
http://forum.dlang.org/group/digitalmars.D.ldc. Like the other
digitalmars.D groups, it is also accessible via NNTP. It is intended
to replace this mailing list completely, at least until development
activity is high enough to warrant a developer/user split. Right now
there, seem to be some problems with setting up the mailing list
interface, though, which is why I have not announced the move on this
list earlier.

The main reason I'm writing this message, though, is to alert you of a
forum discussion regarding the status of D1 support in LDC:
http://forum.dlang.org/thread/ivwzfbdqpp...@forum.dlang.org.

As the interest in D1 seems to have pretty much faded on the user as
well as the developer side and upstream support for it has ended too,
Kai and I are thinking about dropping D1 support from master very
soon. The next release would already be D2-only, with the D1 code
being »archived« in the form of a Git branch where anybody still
interested could continue to work on it. A short rationale can be
found at the linked discussion.

We would love to hear some opinions on the topic, from users and
contributors alike!

Thanks,
David