If restricted to a "human number of nodes" to evaluate, who wins? Leela or GM?

Shah

Feb 1, 2019, 3:33:17 AM2/1/19
to LCZero
I think that would be like comparing Leela's intuition to human.
An intersting comparison I think.
How many nodes a human GM evaluates?
I don't know... But I am sure people in this forum are more knowledgeable and can say.
Another way to put it:
Did anyone caculate Leela's elo for smallest node values?
Say: 1, 5, 10, 20, 50, 100...??
Thanks!

Ingo Weidner

Feb 1, 2019, 3:40:06 AM2/1/19
to LCZero
The "official" estimated Elo graph includes 3 graphs with 1 node, 10 nodes and 100 nodes tested against Stockfish 9 ("SF 9"):

Shah

Feb 1, 2019, 4:12:30 AM2/1/19
to LCZero
Ingo, many thanks, I wasn't aware of that.

Warren D Smith

Feb 1, 2019, 9:54:13 AM2/1/19
to LCZero

On Friday, February 1, 2019 at 3:40:06 AM UTC-5, Ingo Weidner wrote:
The "official" estimated Elo graph includes 3 graphs with 1 node, 10 nodes and 100 nodes tested against Stockfish 9 ("SF 9"):
You seriously expect me to believe leela plays at 2300 strength with no lookahead whatsoever?

I have immense trouble believing anything can do that.

vladimir...@gmail.com

Feb 1, 2019, 10:34:38 AM2/1/19
to LCZero
пятница, 1 февраля 2019 г., 17:54:13 UTC+3 пользователь Warren D Smith написал:

You seriously expect me to believe leela plays at 2300 strength with no lookahead whatsoever?

I have immense trouble believing anything can do that.

Do you believe in go-playing Leela, which is 1-3 Dan level on KGS without search?

Vassilis

Feb 1, 2019, 11:32:16 AM2/1/19
to LCZero
Yes Vlad, I believe :)

I also play, and love Go (about 10-11 kyu strength. A "patzer", so to speak)

Warren D Smith

Feb 1, 2019, 11:57:50 AM2/1/19
to LCZero
Actually, I, and a lot of people, had trouble believing that when the deepmind AlphaGo team claimed this, but I cannot
argue with them.  I am better at chess than I am as a go player.    I think in a goodly fraction of chess games
a position will arise where I will outcalculate no-lookahead leela and hence win, and I don't believe any
feasible evaluation function can avoid this.  And I am nowhere near 2300 strength, I'd guess I am 1200 to 2000
depending on speed of play.

So my mind is boggled by the claim leela without lookahead is 2300.

Also, I realize leela is unconventional, and that the following rule of thumb is being pushed beyond reason, but...
for conventional chessprogs a common rule of thumb is each doubling of #nodes searched, brings 50 to 150 more
elo strength.  So, if full strength leela is searching 10^6 = 2^20 nodes, then 1-node leela should be 1000-3000 elo weaker.

So is it possible for me to play no-lookahead leela online someplace?

Warren D Smith

Feb 1, 2019, 12:21:15 PM2/1/19
to LCZero
as another quantification of this:
what if you train leela purely to solve mate-in-N problems without lookahead?

I suspect for N=0 (i.e. just recognizing whether mated or not) and
N=1, you can probably succeed in training a neural net to do that.
For N=2, already I am having trouble believing you can do it.
For N=3, major trouble believing.

Vassilis

Feb 1, 2019, 12:30:31 PM2/1/19
to LCZero
Warren yes, but go is a different game.
In chess calculation is much more important! I don't say that in go isn't, but go is more about patterns...
When I play Leela Chess on my laptop, zero-depth, I always win!! Even if my position is not better, Leela blunders. (I'm bellow 2000 at any TC)
I've never manage to win Leela Go (with depth=0) though.

Warren D Smith

Feb 1, 2019, 12:41:27 PM2/1/19
to LCZero
OK, good, you agree with me, and your experience proves that, leela[no search] is NOT 2300 or anywhere near it.

Fine, but for some mysterious reason the "official" estimated Elo graph says leela[1 node] is 2300 --- WHY??:

Vassilis

Feb 1, 2019, 12:45:58 PM2/1/19
to LCZero
Frankly, I don't know.
A developer maybe could answer this?
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Vassilis

Feb 1, 2019, 12:58:30 PM2/1/19
to LCZero
I can't read the spreadsheet on my tablet, for some reason, but I believe you.
What does Leela[1 node] mean? Is it the same as setting depth=0, or has a different meaning?

Francesco Tommaso

Feb 1, 2019, 4:21:53 PM2/1/19
to LCZero
I think she might play at 2300 or very close even with only one node. I just made Leela play on Arena restricting her search to only one node and used net 40459. She played against Hedgehog (2100 Elo Engine on CCRL), which had 10 secs per move on a Ryzen 7 2700. She drew one game and lost the other after long endgame. She might win with a test 30 network.

Stuart Cracraft

Feb 1, 2019, 4:36:00 PM2/1/19
to Francesco Tommaso, LCZero
I disagree with this.

I had Leela play at 1 node and she hung her queen after about 15-20 moves in the early middlegame.

—Stuart

—Stuart

P.S. For scheduling time with me:

https://meetme.so/StuartCracraft

For my resume:

http://www.stuartcracraft.com

For my LinkedIn

http://www.linkedin.com/in/stuartcracraft

My email is

smcra...@me.com

Stefan Albrecht

Feb 1, 2019, 5:57:30 PM2/1/19
to LCZero
,,,we could ask Kingcrusher about this. I guess he is FIDE "Candidate Master" (CM) and about 2.200 elo...
I remeber last year he was playing in person rapid games online at "easy mode" against leela, but I cant remeber if easy mode was 400 nodes/move or a bit more or less.
After constantly losing, he set Leela to 1 node, and after some training, Leela won also against him. The videos that time were very funny, as he is laughing tears while losing the games.
I am now searching for the vids.....
....found one he played on easy mode, here it is.

regards, Stefan

Edward Panek

Feb 1, 2019, 6:51:35 PM2/1/19
to LCZero
I love KC...such a good sport.
Message has been deleted

Daniel Rocha

Feb 1, 2019, 7:00:27 PM2/1/19
to Vassilis, LCZero
Beware of comparing computer ELOs with human ELOs. What is being compared is software, while hardware configurations are more or less abstracted. A program running on  a cellphone will be slower than on a top CPU/GPU.

Em sex, 1 de fev de 2019 às 21:54, Vassilis <vasm...@gmail.com> escreveu:
Stephan, this "easy mode" is definitely not 1 node (from Leela's part)
She can see elementary combinations!

Daniel Rocha - RJ

Vassilis

Feb 1, 2019, 7:10:11 PM2/1/19
to LCZero
Sure, but 1 node is 1 node regardless the configuration.
Leela should be of the same strength anywhere

Vassilis

Feb 1, 2019, 7:17:32 PM2/1/19
to LCZero
Stefan, this "easy mode" is definitely not 1 node (from Leela's part)
She can see elementary tactics!

If KC really lost to Leela in 1 node, it's not because of her training :) he must did something terribly wrong! (Or impulsive??)

Daniel Rocha

Feb 1, 2019, 7:34:21 PM2/1/19
to Vassilis, LCZero
There was 2600 GM that played with an early version of Leela. We can guess the strength from there.

Stuart Cracraft

Feb 1, 2019, 7:36:34 PM2/1/19
to LCZero
At 3000 nodes per second, Leela on an Ubuntu instance on AWS beat my program named “Talish” which is a weakish 2500 grandmaster in a 10 second vs. 10 second match.

The defeat was sound but obviously too low a sample to know more.

Does anyone have scripts, such as bash or python, which can match or front-end Leela in front of its UCI?

Playing or using Leela with UCI is a real bear and a simple script to move based on something simple with ./lc0 running in the background would be useful.

Message has been deleted

Vassilis

Feb 1, 2019, 11:55:44 PM2/1/19
to LCZero
Hi Stuart.

Instead of a script, you could use Arena. There is a Linux version available:
http://playwitharena.com/?Download:Arena_for_Linux

But if for some reason, Arena doesn't work there is SCID vs PC:
http://scidvspc.sourceforge.net

Both are excellent GUIs but you have to compile the later, and it's not that intuitive as Arena
Unfortunately Arena doesn't work in Manjaro, but works fine in Debian.
So, maybe in Ubuntu too!

Thank you for what you have offered all these years, to computer chess.
I used to have a lot of fun with GnuChess, as a student!

Dietrich Kappe

Feb 2, 2019, 12:17:05 AM2/2/19
to LCZero
It's fortuitous that there was just a match with IM lovlas against leela with low node counts (I think it peaked at 10.)

Apparently he was quite fond of her playing style at this level (strong positionaly with a blind spot for some tactics).

If you hunt around, I think a GM had a run at her with similar conditions just before.

Vassilis

Feb 2, 2019, 1:08:27 AM2/2/19
to LCZero
Hi all

Well, I am forced to reveal you my chess "abilities" by showing you a game I played a few minutes ago against Leela ID 32890 (depth=1)
I am not sure if depth=1 is the same as nodes=1 but anyway...

You are watching the effort of a 1575 elo player (myself), blitzing out moves without any particular plan, and minimal thought.
Please, don't judge my chess understanding from this game (it's early in the morning). I've played way better games, and worse ones. Always against humans in tournaments, where the fun is :)

Now, how on earth my opponent (Leela) is a 2300+ elo player, is beyond my comprehension !!!
Enjoy the game :)

[Event "UCI Game"]
[Site "?"]
[Date "2019.02.02"]
[Round "?"]
[White "Vassilis"]
[Black "LCZero_32890"]
[Result "1-0"]

1.d4 Nf6 2.Nf3 e6 3.e3 d5 4.c4 Be7 5.Be2 O-O 6.O-O dxc4 7.Bxc4 a6 8.Nc3 b5 9.Bd3 Bb7 10.Re1 c5 11.dxc5 Bxc5 12.Qc2 Nbd7 13.Rd1 Rc8 14.Ne5 Qc7 15.Nxd7 Nxd7 16.Bxh7+ Kh8 17.Be4 Be7 18.Bxb7 Qxb7 19.Qe4 Qc7 20.Bd2 Nc5 21.Qf3 Kg8 22.Rac1 Qe5 23.e4 b4 24.Ne2 Nxe4 25.Bf4 Qf5 26.Nd4 Qd5 27.Nc6 Qxc6 28.Rxc6 Rxc6 29.Qxe4 Rfc8 30.Be3 f5 31.Qf3 Bf6 32.Bd4 Bxd4 33.Rxd4 Rc1+ 34.Rd1 Rxd1+ 35.Qxd1 b3 36.axb3 Rd8 37.Qxd8+ Kf7 38.Qd7+ Kf8 39.Qxe6 f4 40.Qxa6 g5 41.Qf6+ Kg8 42.b4 g4 43.b5 Kh7 44.b6 Kg8 45.Qe7 Kh8 46.b7 f3 47.b8=Q# 1-0

Stuart Cracraft

Feb 2, 2019, 2:12:48 AM2/2/19
to Vassilis, LCZero
Hi.

I don’t know about depth = 1. I have always used go nodes 1 or go movetime 10. Something like that.

Your game is good and I believe you are absolutely accurate regarding your comment.

But my question is why don’t you do “go movetime 10” to give it time?

And what kind of GPU are you using?

I get 3000 nodes per second from Leela on a Deep Learning single GPU instance running on Ubuntu on AWS and could never beat it.

Also my weakish 2500 traditional program was crushed by it.

I think something is cooking with your settings.

Choose go movetime 10 and redo your game and let us know what happens.

Send your entire log so we know you are running it properly.

—Stuart

Vassilis

Feb 2, 2019, 3:06:14 AM2/2/19
to LCZero
Hi Stuart

I've played this game under Scid vs PC GUI and not from the command line:

From Menu: Play -> Computer - UCI Engine
and chose Fixed Depth 1 and LCZero_32890 like in the screenshot
I guess the GUI does what it says it does, so I didn't bother more. Leela's UCI parameters were set to default, except threads=1 and no ponder. Also Leela uses syzygy.

if I do “go movetime 10” from the command line, that means Leela thinks for 10 millisecs before making her move right? That could be far more than one node (or depth=1)
My GPU is a GTX960M inside an Asus i7 Laptop

Cheers

gui.png

Stuart Cracraft

Feb 2, 2019, 3:36:27 AM2/2/19
to Vassilis, LCZero
That’s true and I had forgotten that one should multiply by 1000 due to the ms.

So go movetime 10000 is what I used.

I would avoid fixed depth and fixed nodes.

Time instead.

Give it a try.

Dietrich Kappe

Feb 2, 2019, 3:46:08 AM2/2/19
to LCZero
Stuart,

Rather than renting an expensive gpu on aws, try one of the distilled networks on cpu. https://github.com/dkappe/leela-chess-weights/wiki/Distilled-Networks

Vassilis

Feb 2, 2019, 4:35:19 AM2/2/19
to LCZero
Stuart, the only reason I played with fixed depth=1 has to do with the discussion I had with Warren D. Smith
(see above) about Leela's ELO when playing instantly. (If we both interpret correctly the graph, her ELO is 2300 with 1 node play? Seriously? I'm sure it's about something else...)

However, giving Leela 10 sec to think, I have no chance.
And no matter how interesting the game would be I would end up losing without knowing where I went wrong :)
No problem, I give it a try... But I have no illusions.

jimgl...@gmail.com

Feb 2, 2019, 3:57:20 PM2/2/19
to LCZero
"If you hunt around, I think a GM had a run at her with similar conditions just before."

Is this what you folk are thinking of?

Leela net 125(!) vs GM Andrew Tang:

https://youtu.be/pqYAy-l1c6g

Dietrich Kappe

Feb 2, 2019, 5:24:43 PM2/2/19
to LCZero
No. I meant a few hours before the IM. The match against GM Tang is pretty ancient.

jimgl...@gmail.com

Feb 2, 2019, 5:50:38 PM2/2/19
to LCZero
Googling around a little bit the only other GM I find playing Leela is Daniel Naroditsky v 11248 at knight odds.

https://youtu.be/dsz7_Al1dXM

FWIW.

Stuart Cracraft

Feb 2, 2019, 6:04:23 PM2/2/19
to Dietrich Kappe, LCZero
Thanks - wish I could. I don’t have Leela up yet on my largish Mac OS X MacBook Pro.

If anyone has a good installation script and/or instructions for Mac OS X, I’ll give it a try (and distilled network a try assuming I can get only the cpu version of Leel up.

By the way, this is (so far) just to get a fun human-like player to be able to play against and maybe occasional play for my own 2500 chess program “Talish”.

Thanks everybody.

The Discord is great.

On Feb 2, 2019, at 12:46 AM, Dietrich Kappe <dka...@gmail.com> wrote:

Stuart,

Rather than renting an expensive gpu on aws, try one of the distilled networks on cpu. https://github.com/dkappe/leela-chess-weights/wiki/Distilled-Networks

Dietrich Kappe

Feb 2, 2019, 6:43:31 PM2/2/19
to LCZero
You have to look at the games of LeelaChess on lichess. Here is one of the games of GM almostadams from yesterday. https://lichess.org/zC8ZXCSg

Don’t know what the various number of node limits were, but probably around 10.

Dietrich Kappe

Feb 2, 2019, 6:50:01 PM2/2/19
to LCZero
Stuart,

You can run the distilled networks anywhere lc0 runs, including gpu. You can see how it fares on Mac OS X with blas backend on that page via the various cpu tournaments.

On Mac OS X, as long as I have the development tools, I just checkout the latest release from git, then build it with the build.sh script. There’s a little bit of python setup to be able to use meson and ninja in the build, but those are described in the lc0 pages on github.

Let me know if you need some help.

Stuart Cracraft

Feb 2, 2019, 6:53:25 PM2/2/19
to Dietrich Kappe, LCZero
Hi,

Can you send me the link to the Mac OS X instructions which everyone uses?

I will go through the install and send my log to show what is going on as it is not working to get Leela (cpu version) up on this Mac.

Regards,

Stuart

Vassilis

Feb 3, 2019, 12:21:52 AM2/3/19
to LCZero
Hi Stuart.

The instructions are here:
https://github.com/LeelaChessZero/lc0

Bottom of the page and after the instructions for the Windows build.
Unfortunately I don't have a Mac, so I can't say more...
Let us know if you did it.

Stuart Cracraft

Feb 3, 2019, 1:14:20 AM2/3/19
to Vassilis, LCZero
Hey,

Here’s what happened.

The main issue is the meson build.

Please see the log below and thankyou very much for your insights!

Stuart

Stuarts-MacBook-Pro:lc0 root# ./build.sh
The Meson build system
Version: 0.48.2
Source dir: /usr/local/src/lc0
Build dir: /usr/local/src/lc0/build/release
Build type: native build
Project name: lc0
Project version: undefined
Native C++ compiler: c++ (clang 10.0.0 "Apple LLVM version 10.0.0 (clang-1000.11.45.5)")
Build machine cpu family: x86_64
Build machine cpu: x86_64
Library libprotobuf found: NO
Found pkg-config: /usr/local/bin/pkg-config (0.29.2)
Dependency protobuf found: NO (tried pkgconfig and framework)
Program protoc found: NO
Using protobuf from cache.
Using protobuf-3.5.1-2w-wrap.zip from cache.

|Executing subproject protobuf
|
|Project name: protobuf
|Project version: 3.5.1
|Native C++ compiler: c++ (clang 10.0.0 "Apple LLVM version 10.0.0 (clang-1000.11.45.5)")
|Compiler for C++ supports arguments -DHAVE_PTHREAD: YES
|Compiler for C++ supports arguments -Wno-sign-compare: YES
|Compiler for C++ supports arguments -Wno-unused-parameter: YES
|Compiler for C++ supports arguments -Wno-ignored-qualifiers: YES
|Compiler for C++ supports arguments /wd4146: NO
|Compiler for C++ supports arguments /wd4244: NO
|Compiler for C++ supports arguments /wd4305: NO
|Compiler for C++ supports arguments /wd4506: NO
|Dependency threads found: YES
|Build targets in project: 6
|
|Subproject protobuf finished.
Library pthread found: YES
Library dl found: YES
Library libtensorflow_cc found: NO
Dependency accelerate found: YES (/System/Library/Frameworks/Accelerate.framework)
Library mkl_rt found: NO
Library openblas.dll found: NO
Library openblas found: NO

meson.build:184:6: ERROR:  Include dir /System/Library/Frameworks/Accelerate.framework/Frameworks/vecLib.framework/Headers does not exist.

A full log can be found at /usr/local/src/lc0/build/release/meson-logs/meson-log.txt
Stuarts-MacBook-Pro:lc0 root#

Vassilis

Feb 3, 2019, 1:31:36 AM2/3/19
to LCZero
I'm not sure if this is the reason, but I don't see a backend installed, like libopenblas. This is important
Don't know how to do it in Mac though.
Also, instead of downloading the latest stable release, try the zip file from the master branch. It includes protoc
Message has been deleted

Vassilis

Feb 3, 2019, 1:40:32 AM2/3/19
to LCZero
I found somewhere this:

brew install openblas

Or if this doesn't work

brew install homebrew/science/openblas

Hope this helps

Stuart Cracraft

Feb 3, 2019, 2:33:47 AM2/3/19
to Vassilis, LCZero
Tried it. No luck.
Stuarts-MacBook-Pro:lc0 root# brew install openblas
Error: Running Homebrew as root is extremely dangerous and no longer supported.
As Homebrew does not drop privileges on installation you would be giving all
build scripts full access to your system.
Stuarts-MacBook-Pro:lc0 root# exit
logout
Stuarts-MacBook-Pro:~ stuartcracraft$ brew install openblas
Updating Homebrew...
==> Auto-updated Homebrew!
Updated 3 taps (homebrew/cask-versions, homebrew/core and homebrew/cask).
==> New Formulae
ahoy                       dhall                      grpcurl                    libpulsar                  pass-otp                   sloc
anycable-go                dmg2img                    hexyl                      libvirt-glib               postgresql@10              sn0int
anyenv                     dnscontrol                 interactive-rebase-tool    lsd                        rakudo                     spice-protocol
atomist-cli                entityx                    istioctl                   moarvm                     react-native-cli           swagger-codegen@2
aws-iam-authenticator      esptool                    jmxterm                    needle                     redis@4.0                  switch-lan-play
bluetoothconnector         gambit-scheme              kubeprod                   nqp                        ruby@2.5                   tass64
chafa                      gerbil-scheme              kubeseal                   opencv@3                   s3ql                       termtosvg
cryptominisat              ghr                        libgusb                    osx-cpu-temp               ship                       tmx
dav1d                      goreman                    libnova                    oxipng                     simple-scan
==> Updated Formulae
awscli                         dosbox-x                         i2pd                             mysql-cluster                    scummvm
boost                           dovecot                          iamy                             mysql@5.7                        sdcv
gdb                             doxygen                          ibex                             nasm                             sdf
go                             dpkg                             icemon                           nativefier                       serverless
libidn2                         druid                            imagemagick                      ncmpcpp                          sf-pwgen
meson                           dscanner                         immortal                         neofetch                         sfml
node                           dspdfviewer                      influxdb                         neovim                           shellshare
oniguruma                       dub                              ios-sim                          netcdf                           shfmt
python                         dvm                              ios-webkit-debug-proxy           netpbm                           shibboleth-sp
readline                       dwarf                            iso-codes                        newlisp                          shogun
sqlite                         dwm                              isync                            newsboat                         signify-osx
wget                           dynare                           itstool                          nghttp2                          sile
abcm2ps                          e2fsprogs                        jabba                            nginx                            simh
abook                            easyengine                       jbake                            ngspice                          simple-mtpfs
ace                              eccodes                          jboss-forge                      nickle                           simutrans
afflib                           ed                               jenkins                          nim                              sip
aircrack-ng                      efl                              jenkins-lts                      nmh                              siril
akamai                           eigen                            jenv                             nnn                              skaffold
alexjs                           ekg2                             jfrog-cli-go                     node-build                       skinny
algernon                         elasticsearch                    jhipster                         node@10                          skopeo
allure                           elasticsearch@5.6                jid                              node@6                           sl
amazon-ecs-cli                   elixir                           joplin                           node@8                           sleuthkit
ammonite-repl                    emacs-clang-complete-async       json11                           nodenv                           smartmontools
amqp-cpp                         embulk                           jsoncpp                          nomad                            socat
angle-grinder                    emscripten                       jsonnet                          nordugrid-arc                    soci
angular-cli                      encfs                            juju                             nsd                              solr
anjuta                           enet                             juju-wait                        nss                              sonar-scanner
annie                            enigma                           kakoune                          nu                               source-highlight
ansible                          envconsul                        kapacitor                        numpy                            source-to-image
ansifilter                       epubcheck                        kettle                           nuxeo                            sox
antlr                            erlang                           kibana                           nvm                              spatialite-tools
antlr4-cpp-runtime               erlang@20                        kibana@5.6                       nwchem                           spdlog
apache-drill                     eslint                           kitchen-sync                     nzbget                           sphinx
apache-flink                     etcd                             knot                             objc-codegenutils                sphinx-doc
apache-geode                     ethereum                         knot-resolver                    octave                           spidermonkey
ape                              evince                           kontena                          ompl                             spoof-mac
apibuilder-cli                   exiv2                            kops                             onscripter                       spotbugs
appledoc                         exploitdb                        kotlin                           opa                              sqlcipher
arangodb                         eye-d3                           kpcli                            opam                             sqlmap
arcade-learning-environment      faas-cli                         krakend                          open-babel                       squashfs
argus-clients                    fastbit                          kube-aws                         open-mpi                         sshuttle
aria2                            fauna-shell                      kubectx                          openal-soft                      statik
ark                              fb-client                        kubeless                         openblas                         stellar-core
asciinema                        fbi-servefiles                   kubernetes-cli                   opencc                           stk
asdf                             fcl                              kubernetes-helm                  openclonk                        stone-soup
asio                             ffmpeg                           kyoto-cabinet                    opencoarrays                     stubby
ask-cli                          ffmpeg2theora                    languagetool                     openconnect                      subversion
aspcud                           ffmpeg@2.8                       laszip                           opencv                           sundials
astrometry-net                   ffmpegthumbnailer                ldapvi                           opencv@2                         supersonic
atkmm                            ffms2                            ldc                              opendbx                          supertux
aubio                            firebase-cli                     lean                             openfortivpn                     supervisor
audacious                        fish                             ledger                           openldap                         swagger-codegen
augeas                           flac                             leiningen                        openmsx                          swi-prolog
autorest                         fltk                             leptonica                        opensaml                         swiftformat
avian                            fluid-synth                      less                             opentsdb                         swiftgen
aws-okta                         fluxctl                          lftp                             openvdb                          swiftlint
aws-sdk-cpp                      flyway                           libassuan                        orc-tools                        switchaudio-osx
azure-cli                        fmt                              libatomic_ops                    osm-pbf                          syncthing
babel                            fn                               libav                            osmium-tool                      synfig
babl                             folly                            libbi                            osrm-backend                     sysbench
bacula-fd                        fontforge                        libbladerf                       p11-kit                          sysdig
ballerina                        fonttools                        libccd                           packer                           takt
basex                            freeswitch                       libcds                           pacvim                           tarantool
bash                             freetds                          libcec                           pagmo                            task
bashdb                           frugal                           libcerf                          paket                            tbb
bat                              fselect                          libchaos                         pandoc                           tcc
bcal                             fswatch                          libcouchbase                     pandoc-citeproc                  tcl-tk
bdw-gc                           fuseki                           libdazzle                        pango                            tcpdump
bear                             futhark                          libedit                          pangomm                          tcpreplay
bedops                           fx                               libetpan                         parallel                         telegraf
bento4                           gammaray                         libgda                           parallelstl                      telegram-cli
bettercap                        gauche                           libgit2                          pari                             teleport
bigloo                           gauge                            libglademm                       passenger                        terminal-notifier
binaryen                         gawk                             libgnomecanvasmm                 pce                              terraform
bind                             gcab                             libgpg-error                     pcl                              terraform-docs
bison                            gcc@6                            libgsf                           pdal                             terragrunt
bitcoin                          gdal                             libgxps                          pdf2htmlex                       tesseract
bitrise                          gdcm                             libheif                          pdfgrep                          tgui
bitwarden-cli                    geant4                           libhttpserver                    pdfpc                            theharvester
blackbox                         gearman                          libjwt                           pdftoedn                         thors-serializer
blahtexml                        geeqie                           liblas                           pdftoipe                         tig
blast                            gegl                             libmicrohttpd                    pdnsrec                          tika
blink1                           genstats                         libnice                          pdsh                             tile38
blueutil                         geoipupdate                      libosmium                        percona-server                   tintin
boost-mpi                        geos                             libphonenumber                   percona-toolkit                  tippecanoe
boost-python                     get_iplayer                      libpng                           perl                             tmux-mem-cpu-load
boost-python3                    getdns                           libpointing                      petsc                            tmuxinator-completion
botan                            gexiv2                           libpqxx                          petsc-complex                    tokei
bower                            ghc                              libpsl                           pgbadger                         tomcat
brew-php-switcher                ghc@8.2                          libpst                           pgcli                            tomcat@8
buildifier                       ghostscript                      libqalculate                     pgweb                            tomee-webprofile
buku                             gibo                             libreadline-java                 phoronix-test-suite              topgrade
bullet                           ginac                            librealsense                     php                              tor
bundletool                       git                              libressl                         php-code-sniffer                 tox
bzt                              git-flow-avh                     librsvg                          php-cs-fixer                     trace2html
cabextract                       git-fresh                        libsamplerate                    php@7.1                          tracebox
cadaver                          git-open                         libsass                          php@7.2                          traefik
caddy                            git-quick-stats                  libsecret                        phpmyadmin                       trafficserver
caf                              git-secret                       libsigc++                        phpunit                          translate-shell
caffe                            git-standup                      libsodium                        picard-tools                     travis
cairomm                          gitbucket                        libssh                           pilosa                           typescript
cake                             github-markdown-toc              libstfl                          pioneer                          ubertooth
calc                             gitlab-gem                       libtins                          pioneers                         ucloud
camlp5                           gitlab-runner                    libuv                            pipenv                           uhd
capnp                            gjs                              libvirt                          pixman                           unbound
capstone                         glances                          libvmaf                          planck                           unnethack
cargo-completion                 glbinding                        libvoikko                        plantuml                         unrar
carla                            glib                             libvpx                           platformio                       upscaledb
carthage                         glibmm                           libvterm                         plplot                           urbit
cataclysm                        global                           libxc                            pmd                              urdfdom
catimg                           globjects                        libxml++                         pngquant                         urdfdom_headers
ccache                           gmic                             libxml++3                        podofo                           urh
ccrypt                           gmsh                             libxml2                          ponyc                            uriparser
ceres-solver                     gmt                              libxmlsec1                       poppler                          userspace-rcu
certbot                          gnatsd                           libxslt                          postgis                          v8
cfitsio                          gnome-builder                    linkerd                          postgres-xc                      vagrant-completion
cgdb                             gnome-latex                      lldpd                            postgresql                       vala
cgit                             gnome-recipes                    llvm                             postgresql@9.4                   vault
cglm                             gnu-chess                        llvm@3.9                         postgresql@9.5                   vc4asm
chakra                           gnu-sed                          llvm@4                           postgresql@9.6                   vegeta
checkbashisms                    gnu-smalltalk                    llvm@5                           povray                           verilator
checkstyle                       gnu-tar                          llvm@6                           pre-commit                       vert.x
chrome-cli                       gnu-units                        lmdb                             prefixsuffix                     vice
chronograf                       gnupg                            lmod                             presto                           vim
circleci                         gnupg-pkcs11-scd                 log4cplus                        prettier                         vim@7.4
citus                            gnuplot                          logstalgia                       primesieve                       vips
clamav                           gnuplot@4                        logstash                         profanity                        visp
clang-format                     gnuradio                         logtalk                          prometheus                       vowpal-wabbit
clblast                          gnutls                           lsdvd                            protobuf                         vte
cli53                            go-bindata                       lxc                              protobuf-c                       vte3
clingo                           g...@1.10                          mackup                           protobuf-swift                   vtk
clipsafe                         go@1.8                           macvim                           protobuf@3.1                     w3m
clisp                            go@1.9                           mafft                            pspg                             weaver
clojure                          gobby                            magnetix                         pulseaudio                       weboob
closure-compiler                 gobject-introspection            mailutils                        pulumi                           webp
cmake                            gocryptfs                        makensis                         pumba                            webpack
cockroach                        godep                            mame                             purescript                       weechat
cocoapods                        goenv                            mapcrafter                       pushpin                          wellington
cointop                          golang-migrate                   mapnik                           puzzles                          whois
collectd                         google-benchmark                 mapserver                        pwntools                         widelands
commandbox                       gopass                           mariadb                          pwsafe                           wine
composer                         goreleaser                       mariadb-connector-c              pycodestyle                      wireguard-go
conan                            gource                           mariadb@10.2                     pyenv                            wireguard-tools
confluent-oss                    gowsdl                           mas                              pygitup                          wireshark
conjure-up                       gphoto2                          maxwell                          pypy                             with-readline
console_bridge                   gpsbabel                         mdbtools                         pypy3                            woboq_codebrowser
consul                           gqlplus                          mdcat                            python-yq                        wolfssl
container-diff                   gr-osmosdr                       mdds                             python@2                         wp-cli
convox                           gradle                           mdk                              qbs                              wp-cli-completion
coreutils                        grafana                          media-info                       qemu                             wpscan
cp2k                             grakn                            mednafen                         qjackctl                         wtf
cppcheck                         graph-tool                       mercurial                        qmmp                             wxmaxima
cppcms                           graphite2                        mesa                             qpdf                             x264
cquery                           grep                             mesos                            qpid-proton                      x265
create-dmg                       groff                            metashell                        quex                             xalan-c
cryfs                            groovy                           micronaut                        quicktype                        xcodegen
cryptopp                         grpc                             midnight-commander               r                                xcproj
crystal                          grv                              mikutter                         rabbitmq                         xdot
crystal-icr                      gsmartcontrol                    mill                             rdfind                           xerces-c
csv-fix                          gssdp                            minimal-racket                   re2                              xml-security-c
ctop                             gst-plugins-ugly                 minio                            rebar3                           xml-tooling-c
curl                             gst-python                       minio-mc                         recutils                         xonsh
curl-openssl                     gstreamermm                      mint                             redis                            xqilla
curlpp                           gtk+3                            mitie                            renameutils                      xsd
cython                           gtk-doc                          mkcert                           repo                             xsimd
dar                              gtkmm                            mkclean                          restic                           xtensor
dartsim                          gtkmm3                           mkl-dnn                          rethinkdb                        yafc
dasht                            gtksourceviewmm                  mkvtoolnix                       riak                             yaml-cpp
dbxml                            gtksourceviewmm3                 mockserver                       riemann-client                   yamllint
dcd                              guile                            modd                             rke                              yara
dependency-check                 guile@2.0                        mogenerator                      rlwrap                           yarn
devtodo                          gupnp-tools                      monero                           robot-framework                  ydcv
dfmt                             gzip                             monetdb                          rocksdb                          ykman
dhall-json                       handbrake                        mongo-cxx-driver                 rom-tools                        yle-dl
diamond                          haproxy                          mongodb                          root                             yosys
diceware                         harfbuzz                         mongodb@3.0                      roswell                          you-get
diff-pdf                         haste-client                     mongodb@3.2                      rp                               youtube-dl
diff-so-fancy                    hbase                            mongodb@3.4                      rpm                              yq
diffutils                        hcloud                           mongodb@3.6                      rswift                           z3
digdag                           healpix                          mono                             ruby                             zabbix
direnv                           helmfile                         moreutils                        ruby-build                       zbackup
django-completion                hfstospell                       mosh                             ruby@2.0                         zeromq
dlib                             highlight                        mosquitto                        ruby@2.3                         zile
dmd                              howard-hinnant-date              mozjpeg                          ruby@2.4                         zim
dnscrypt-wrapper                 hss                              mpd                              rust                             zmqpp
dnsperf                          hstr                             mplayer                          rustup-init                      znc
docfx                            htmldoc                          mplayershell                     safe                             zola
docker                           http-parser                      mps-youtube                      salt                             zorba
docker-completion                hub                              mpv                              sbcl                             zsh
docker-machine                   hugo                             mruby                            sbt                              zsh-completions
docker-machine-completion        hunspell                         mu                               scalapack                        zstd
docker-machine-nfs               hwloc                            mutt                             sceptre                          zurl
docker-machine-parallels         hydra                            mycli                            schismtracker
doctl                            hyperfine                        mysql                            scipy
doitlive                         hyperscan                        mysql-client                     scrcpy
==> Deleted Formulae
apache-arrow               cctools                    ffmbc                      gv                         liblastfm                  pyexiv2
apache-arrow-glib          cctools-headers            gnome-doc-utils            hyper                      percona-server@5.6         rock
apple-gcc42                cputhrottle                gra...@2.14                ld64                       php@5.6                    ruby@1.8

==> Installing dependencies for openblas: gmp, isl, mpfr, libmpc and gcc
==> Installing openblas dependency: gmp
######################################################################## 100.0%
==> Pouring gmp-6.1.2_2.mojave.bottle.tar.gz
🍺  /usr/local/Cellar/gmp/6.1.2_2: 18 files, 3.1MB
==> Installing openblas dependency: isl
######################################################################## 100.0%
==> Pouring isl-0.20.mojave.bottle.tar.gz
🍺  /usr/local/Cellar/isl/0.20: 71 files, 3.9MB
==> Installing openblas dependency: mpfr
######################################################################## 100.0%
==> Pouring mpfr-4.0.1.mojave.bottle.tar.gz
🍺  /usr/local/Cellar/mpfr/4.0.1: 28 files, 4.6MB
==> Installing openblas dependency: libmpc
######################################################################## 100.0%
==> Pouring libmpc-1.1.0.mojave.bottle.tar.gz
🍺  /usr/local/Cellar/libmpc/1.1.0: 12 files, 354KB
==> Installing openblas dependency: gcc
Warning: Building gcc from source:
  The bottle needs the Xcode CLT to be installed.
######################################################################## 100.0%
==> Patching
patching file gcc/graphite.h
==> ../configure --build=x86_64-apple-darwin18.2.0 --prefix=/usr/local/Cellar/gcc/8.2.0 --libdir=/usr/local/Cellar/gcc/8.2.0/lib/gcc/8 --disable-nls --enable-check
==> make BOOT_LDFLAGS=-Wl,-headerpad_max_install_names

Last 15 lines from /Users/stuartcracraft/Library/Logs/Homebrew/gcc/02.make:
cc1plus: note: use e.g. -Wabi=11 to warn about changes from GCC 7
In file included from /private/tmp/gcc-20190202-55647-asze61/gcc-8.2.0/libstdc++-v3/libsupc++/exception:144,
                 from /private/tmp/gcc-20190202-55647-asze61/gcc-8.2.0/libstdc++-v3/libsupc++/new:40,
                 from ../../../../libstdc++-v3/libsupc++/bad_array_length.cc:24:
/private/tmp/gcc-20190202-55647-asze61/gcc-8.2.0/build/x86_64-apple-darwin18.2.0/libstdc++-v3/include/bits/nested_exception.h:40:10: fatal error: bits/move.h: No such file or directory
 #include <bits/move.h>
          ^~~~~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.
make[5]: *** [bad_array_length.lo] Error 1
make[4]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[3]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: *** [all-stage3-target-libstdc++-v3] Error 2
make[1]: *** [stage3-bubble] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

Stuarts-MacBook-Pro:~ stuartcracraft$

Vassilis

Feb 3, 2019, 3:02:35 AM2/3/19
to LCZero
Try updating brew first with:

brew update

Have you also tried with:
brew install homebrew/science/openblas

instead of brew install openblas

if this also doesn't work, I run out of ideas

josé luis

Feb 3, 2019, 5:27:11 AM2/3/19
to LCZero
I think computer are better at chess..no matter TC..at 1 node vs ultrabullet wich is most equivalent..leela would win allmost all games

Vassilis

Feb 3, 2019, 5:41:14 AM2/3/19
to LCZero
Jose Luis, do you play chess? I mean... tournament chess!

Don't forget that human chess players range from bellow 1000 up to 2800+ ELO.
So this statement is simply not true, even for the best chess engine! TC matters.

josé luis

Feb 3, 2019, 10:40:33 AM2/3/19
to LCZero
No..just 1100 if I dont remember bad last time I played..but seeing the evidence of the results avaiable.
I saw Leela 1 node drew against komodo full at ccc

josé luis

Feb 3, 2019, 10:43:10 AM2/3/19
to LCZero
Of course TC matters..but Lc0 or SF are better at every TC..at wich TC is not true?

josé luis

Feb 3, 2019, 10:46:03 AM2/3/19
to LCZero
Sorry..you are talking at TC odds?

Vassilis

Feb 3, 2019, 10:50:08 AM2/3/19
to LCZero
OK! Hypothetically speaking...

Just pair Magnus against Leela 1 node. Blitz game for Magnus, for Leela doesn't matter, since she is on 1 node (constant thinking time)
Who would you think will win?

I put all my money on Magnus :)
For long time controls though, there is absolutely no question, Leela is way better... See my point?

Vassilis

Feb 3, 2019, 10:54:41 AM2/3/19
to LCZero
[...Sorry..you are talking at TC odds?]

Yes, but not very much different. Just give the human player time to move the pieces :)

1 node Leela vs 3 min Magnus

Note, 1 node, not 1 min. It is important

josé luis

Feb 3, 2019, 11:18:02 AM2/3/19
to LCZero
Ok..with odds is possible..but the fair condition to 1 node is ultrabullet or faster..dont you think so?

Vassilis

Feb 3, 2019, 11:43:10 AM2/3/19
to LCZero

if with ultra-bullet you mean 1 min + 1 sec increment for the human -vs- 1 node for Leela, I would still put my money on the best human :)

The difference - and the gap - between Leela and best human, is clear with any format in the form of  [X min + Y sec] for both engine and human. Then yes, Leela almost always win. And very rarely, a draw may still be possible. Actually we are saying the same thing. I simply don't believe in this 1 node ELO. 2300+

josé luis

Feb 3, 2019, 11:50:53 AM2/3/19
to LCZero
Maybe you should think how would score Magnus 30 seconds entire game vs Magnus 120 minutes..Aprox. Elo? 2300??

Vassilis

Feb 3, 2019, 12:17:30 PM2/3/19
to LCZero
So ultra-bullet is 30 seconds the whole game, without any increment? Well I can't tell you for sure then. Don't know if he blunders eventually.

One thing I can tell you for sure, is that instant moves by Magnus are more than 2300 elo each. All these top guys don't even need to think variations, to play intuitively strong moves.
This is how they win in blitz! Yes they calculate from time to time (also very fast) but most of their moves are intuitive. And after they reach a winning position, the rest is a matter of technique!

I remember playing one strong GM once (ELO 2550+) in a clock simultaneous game. Time control had an increment, but I don't remember how much. We were six players ranging from 1500 to 1900 elo, and each time he approached a table he made his move at 5 sec the most! Most of his moves were instant moves. While we were thinking, he was drinking orange juice, and talking to our coach (silently) without looking at our tables. After we all lost 6-0 he had consumed about 5 mins for all of us. I ashamed to say how much time each one of us had spent. He was also remembering critical positions of all games and was kind enough to point out our errors.

If a 2550+ GM can do that, how about a 2800+? The difference is huge

josé luis

Feb 3, 2019, 1:11:44 PM2/3/19
to LCZero
I understand there are chessplayers playing 15 seconds game..so I believe Magnus could think all instamoves of a game in few seconds..thats most similar to 1 node I guess..
I know most moves Magnus choose were the first moves considers..but..I remember some 5 minutes blitz games by MVL and others and I saw many blunders That Me(not a chessplayer)caught me by surprise..I noticed many times great players that missed the correct move..and at the chess chats many said there maybe could play against top players with huge time odds(not than One can trust chats)..maybe Im wrong..

Vassilis

Feb 3, 2019, 1:40:37 PM2/3/19
to LCZero
No you are not wrong, people at the chat rooms say a lot of things... I don't blame them, most of them have a false perception about chess in general.

But think for a while what kind of blunders those top GMs usually make...
Are they easy to spot blunders, or sophisticated ones, require a top engine to spot ?

It is easy for someone "from outside" to say a GM move "a blunder" with the help of Stockfish or any other top engine kbitzing. But while kibitzing, (and this is important) Stokfish is NOT in 1 node but in analysis mode. In this mode, it searches each position 20++ plies deep, which makes it stronger than any human! That's why its evaluation spikes (+-) from time to time.

Leela in 1 node also makes blunders, which are easy for a top GM to spot and exploit.
But Leela in normal time controls, (I underline the word time, here) and equal terms, no matter if this is blitz, rapid, or long games, is a different beast :) Clearly superior to any human - like any other top engine.

Dietrich Kappe

Feb 3, 2019, 3:49:45 PM2/3/19
to LCZero
Looking at the low node games against the IM and GM mentioned above, there was a certain feeling out phase where the human players figured out what low node was and wasn’t capable of.

A few observations:

- 1 node is clearly too low
- with 10 nodes, the humans had the edge after learning, but had to play into very sharp positions to exploit low node leela’s tactical weakness
- above 10 nodes, the humans rapidly lose ground.
- These days, even Magnus would struggle to take points off of 200 node leela.

The good news is that leela (and especially the distilled networks, make for educational and entertaining opponents at lowish nodes.

The same can not be said of ab engines.

Vassilis

Feb 3, 2019, 5:32:10 PM2/3/19
to LCZero
Thank you Dietrich.

The way you put it, makes a lot of sense and I fully agree to everything you said :)

A final comment about AB engines:
You can lower their strength, by reducing for e.g their search depth.
But that makes them play very unnatural and artificial chess you would never see from an equally weak human player.
Therefore they are not as valuable educational tool as Leela.

rohit raj

Feb 4, 2019, 12:57:53 AM2/4/19
to LCZero
Dennis Hassabis, founder of deepmind and a very strong chess player himself, had said in his interview with Judith Polgar and Anna Rudolf during WCC, that top players look at 100 positions every move.

Shah

Feb 4, 2019, 1:32:16 AM2/4/19
to LCZero
Hi Vas,
Strange that no consensus could be reached wrt Leela's stength at 1 node.
Would love to hear what KC has to say about this.

Two puzzles for me:
1. If Leela can (at least most of the time) avoid a mate in 1 when evaluating 1 node only, that means that somehow tactic evaluation capabilities must have been "encoded" into Leela's NN.
Which to me is surprising.
Maybe it implies that the training is not done the optimal way in that part of the network is being "wasted" for tactics?

2. I cannot understand how a 10 node evaluation can significantly increase tactic capabilities compared to 1 node.
Iow, if leela at 1 node has 1-move-tactic-blindspot, leela at 10 nodes should suffer from a similar thing, altough to a lesser degree.
So it is also surprising that some people here are saying that there is, infact, a significant increase in elo when going from 1 to 10 node.

Cheers!

MadChuckle

Feb 4, 2019, 2:14:10 AM2/4/19
to LCZero
For those who don't know yet, you can actually challenge and play Leela both at full strength and at 10-nodes at Lichess:

Both are maintained by careless25 (@Discord)

Recently both "IM Lovlas" (Lasse Løvik) and "GM almostadams" (Adam Tukhaev) played with the 1, 10 and full strength Leela (all were on the main LeelaChess lichess channel setup live by Careless25). You can find the games in the history of the bot page there.

Their commentary were along the lines of what is stated here. That 1-node leela is unexpectedly strong positionally but misses some easy sharp tactics. 10-node leela is beatable but you have to play very solid (for an IM).
@100-nodes (I am just guessing now) I think you can win some occasional games but never win a 5-game match, maybe Carlsen can. @200+ nodes I don't think it is possible to wi na 5-game match for any human.

The good thing is weakened leela is playing like a strong human with occasional human like blunders. I believe if you take an earlier net from a run, it would be even more like a moderate level human player.

Leela is quite strong without search or with little search compared to A/B engines, that is one of things that makes NN unique and exciting.

On Friday, February 1, 2019 at 11:33:17 AM UTC+3, Shah wrote:
I think that would be like comparing Leela's intuition to human.
An intersting comparison I think.
How many nodes a human GM evaluates?
I don't know... But I am sure people in this forum are more knowledgeable and can say.
Another way to put it:
Did anyone caculate Leela's elo for smallest node values?
Say: 1, 5, 10, 20, 50, 100...??
Thanks!

Stuart Cracraft

Feb 4, 2019, 2:46:31 AM2/4/19
to Vassilis, LCZero
no luck

Stuarts-MacBook-Pro:/ stuartcracraft$ brew install homebrew/science/openblas
Error: No available formula with the name "homebrew/science/openblas"
Please tap it and then try again: brew tap homebrew/science
==> Searching for similarly named formulae...
Error: No similarly named formulae found.
Stuarts-MacBook-Pro:/ stuartcracraft$

—Stuart

P.S. For scheduling time with me:

https://meetme.so/StuartCracraft

For my resume:

http://www.stuartcracraft.com

For my LinkedIn

http://www.linkedin.com/in/stuartcracraft

My email is

smcra...@me.com

Markus Kohler

Feb 4, 2019, 3:26:05 AM2/4/19
to LCZero
Did you try playing against Leela with one node?
It is really pretty good and not that easy to beat.
BTW I once did an experiment and let leela play against itself (the versions might have been slightly different) with 1 node. The result was a draw and analyzing it with SF10 on lichess did not reveal a single, inaccuracy, mistake or blunder.
I find that is a very remarkable result.

Am Freitag, 1. Februar 2019 15:54:13 UTC+1 schrieb Warren D Smith:

On Friday, February 1, 2019 at 3:40:06 AM UTC-5, Ingo Weidner wrote:
The "official" estimated Elo graph includes 3 graphs with 1 node, 10 nodes and 100 nodes tested against Stockfish 9 ("SF 9"):
You seriously expect me to believe leela plays at 2300 strength with no lookahead whatsoever?

I have immense trouble believing anything can do that.

Vassilis

Feb 4, 2019, 5:37:31 AM2/4/19
to LCZero
Hi Markus

I've played Leela recent nets with depth=1 (which is probably not the same as 1 node) and beat her easily. See one example game above!
Now, if someone could tell me how to set up Leela to play in 1 node in SCID vs PC GUI, I would be grateful!
I would like to avoid playing the whole game from command line using uci commands.
Also Arena GUI doesn't work in Manjaro anymore.

Vassilis

Feb 4, 2019, 5:39:49 AM2/4/19
to LCZero
Hi Stuart!

I wish I could help you more, but I don't own a Mac.
Maybe someone here, who has successfully compiled Leela on his Mac could?

Ilya Kalinin

Feb 5, 2019, 5:12:52 PM2/5/19
to LCZero
Anybody knows how can I restrict  amount of Nodes per move to a fixed number?

Dietrich Kappe

Feb 5, 2019, 5:49:43 PM2/5/19
to LCZero
In uci it's "go nodes 800" or whatever your preferred node number is. There should be a way of selecting this as a TC in your GUI of choice.

Ilya Kalinin

Feb 8, 2019, 1:17:55 PM2/8/19
to LCZero
Guys, I just made an account on Chess.com with Leela Chess  searching only 1 NODE (in Bullet mode). So It playes super cool, It achieved IM level 2400+, so it's even better than in the graph of elo estimates(1n vs SF9 )~2300 on LCZero.org. I'm just stunned of it's success, only think - Leela plays on International Master level! With no search, by just intuition!!!!
I used 32930 net. And yeah, It sees a LOT of tactics in comparison with humans, sometimes it can miss one but mostly it's good at it. Esspecially it easily finds logical tactics like ones in the opening or in standart patterns. And What it does Perfectly is ATTACKS! It checkmates 2/3 of opponents in the opening or in the middle game!

I'm just stunned!Try yourself and you will see.

P.s Yet it lost a couple of games  in less than 10 moves, accidentally(

Warren D Smith

Feb 8, 2019, 1:31:45 PM2/8/19
to Ilya Kalinin, LCZero
well, (to Ilya Kalinin)
(1) you need to explain the details of *how* we "try it"
(2) from my perspective as a sad human, I pretty much cannot search at all
in "bullet" time control, and basically have to make random moves or
lose on time,
so if it is leela with no search versus me with no search,
then ok, I can believe I'm going to be in trouble.
But I think leela playing no search versus a human with enough
time to think, is going to be a lot worse than 2400.... in fact, I
conjecture I will
usually beat it playing 10 min+7 sec increment, say?

--
Warren D. Smith
http://RangeVoting.org <-- add your endorsement (by clicking

Ilya Kalinin

Feb 8, 2019, 1:45:24 PM2/8/19
to LCZero
No, 2400+ is a LOT! At this level humans see a lot of tactics. I tried using 3+2 mode as well and it beats everyone. 1 minute + 1 second is quite a lot of time to make a good move in chess. I think at 3+2 mode it is at least 2000.

Ilya Kalinin

Feb 8, 2019, 1:52:46 PM2/8/19
to LCZero
Reply to (1)  "How we try it".
 It's quite easy. You download a program called "ChessBot", use lc0 as an engine,and set configuration 1 depth(u will see in console that it's 1 node as well) and use it in chess. com. In order to  stabilize the rating faster u should start it with new account(At the beginning elo changes after games are much more significant)

vladimir...@gmail.com

Feb 8, 2019, 1:54:39 PM2/8/19
to LCZero
Do your opponents know they are playing vs. a bot?

Ilya Kalinin

Feb 8, 2019, 2:00:20 PM2/8/19
to LCZero
No, they did not. So in fact i was cheating) But u see, it's exceptionally for scientific purposes, Do not blame me, It is test for this discussion

Todd Freitag

Feb 8, 2019, 3:35:12 PM2/8/19
to LCZero
Although it's not cool that you were cheating your opponents, I'll skip that discussion because there's also another issue with this experiment.

Human players use information about their opponents - sometimes subconsciously and sometimes deliberately. In particular, especially in blitz games, humans will play aggressive moves that they may suspect are not correct, but they don't have time to work it out, and it's difficult for the opponent to deal with the pressure within tight time constraints. Against an engine, this is just suicide. There are many other strategies that are effective against humans at short time controls and ineffective against engines (and vice versa). Some people would play quite differently knowing they are playing a bot.

Warren D Smith

Feb 8, 2019, 3:58:22 PM2/8/19
to LCZero

On Friday, February 8, 2019 at 1:45:24 PM UTC-5, Ilya Kalinin wrote:
No, 2400+ is a LOT! At this level humans see a lot of tactics. I tried using 3+2 mode as well and it beats everyone. 1 minute + 1 second is quite a lot of time to make a good move in chess. I think at 3+2 mode it is at least 2000.

--well, Nakamura & Carlsen can play at bullet speeds and do a lot of
search & eval,
with in at least one case Carlsen playing a bullet game against
another GM in which (according to stockfish analysis later) he made
zero mistakes!
I don't think I can play well enough to make zero mistakes
no matter how much time you give me to think (well, unless my opponent helps me
by making big blunders early, then I can play with zero mistakes :).

I have no idea how the hell those guys do that.  Myself, if I try to
play at bullet speeds, I cannot search, I cannot even evaluate the one node
of my (non)search; all I can do is generate some but not all legal moves, and
semi-evaluate the situation, which is "bad and getting worse" :(.

But I have in mind as "rating", some fairly normal speed of play, not
insane bullet speed.
If I play normal speed & you play with 1 node, I think I'm usually
going to win, no matter who or what you are.

You have to say what your account names are on chess.com, or whatever;
it may be obvious to you, but not to me...

Ilya Kalinin

Feb 8, 2019, 4:15:49 PM2/8/19
to LCZero
No, You don't understand, it seems. She plays VERY good chess. I mentioned that she is not  so bad in tactics(i would rather say good as she delivers checkmates all around,beautiful ones, u have to see it with your own eyes) and as for positional play, she's just perfect. She will outplay you totally positionally and win unless it misses some cool tactics(that happens very rarely), that's for sure. Her main strength is concealed in positional play, I thought it was quite evident.
So try it and you will see..

Vassilis

Feb 8, 2019, 5:11:30 PM2/8/19
to LCZero
Ilya hi!
The following is a true story of a 1575 elo player, with good results against higher rated players in tournaments. (Good positionally, Blind tactically)
Please read carefully...

Sometime ago I played some test games with Leela, and I found out It was not too hard to beat her at depth=1, with me playing blitz (5'-5") as long as I were concentrated.
Bellow is a sample game of this test...

TECHNICAL DETAILS:

lc0 v0.20.1
net 32890
strength: depth = 1
GUI Scid vs PC
OS Linux Manjaro 64bit
cudann backend, GPU Nvidia GTX960M
Default UCI parameters except threads=1, no ponder

[Event "UCI Game"]
[Site "?"]
[Date "2019.02.02"]
[Round "?"]
[White "Vassilis"]
[Black "LCZero_32890"]
[Result "1-0"]

1.d4 Nf6 2.Nf3 e6 3.e3 d5 4.c4 Be7 5.Be2 O-O 6.O-O dxc4 7.Bxc4 a6 8.Nc3 b5 9.Bd3 Bb7 10.Re1 c5 11.dxc5 Bxc5 12.Qc2 Nbd7 13.Rd1 Rc8 14.Ne5 Qc7 15.Nxd7 Nxd7 16.Bxh7+ Kh8 17.Be4 Be7 18.Bxb7 Qxb7 19.Qe4 Qc7 20.Bd2 Nc5 21.Qf3 Kg8 22.Rac1 Qe5 23.e4 b4 24.Ne2 Nxe4 25.Bf4 Qf5 26.Nd4 Qd5 27.Nc6 Qxc6 28.Rxc6 Rxc6 29.Qxe4 Rfc8 30.Be3 f5 31.Qf3 Bf6 32.Bd4 Bxd4 33.Rxd4 Rc1+ 34.Rd1 Rxd1+ 35.Qxd1 b3 36.axb3 Rd8 37.Qxd8+ Kf7 38.Qd7+ Kf8 39.Qxe6 f4 40.Qxa6 g5 41.Qf6+ Kg8 42.b4 g4 43.b5 Kh7 44.b6 Kg8 45.Qe7 Kh8 46.b7 f3 47.b8=Q# 1-0

So, I decided to repeat the test, after upgrading the Leela engine and the net, and playing her this time at 1 node, under a different GUI (Arena) and also the same time control for me (5'-5").
To my surprise the engine was too strong for me. Like you said, combinations all over the board (with only 1 node), I was totally massacred in every game by Leela. The best result I could get was a draw, a pawn up. Maybe I am still winning, but I was afraid to continue fight with only a few seconds in the clock. This Leela was a beast :) And I cannot explain why this difference compared to the first test. Maybe depth=1 is not the same as 1 node.

See for yourself, and compare the first game with this one... Huge difference

TECHNICAL DETAILS:

lc0 v0.20.2
net 32930
strength: 1 node
Arena for Linux 1.1
OS Linux Debian 64bit
openblas backend, CPU i7 6700HQ

[Event "Computer chess game"]
[Site "Debian"]
[Date "2019.02.04"]
[Round "?"]
[White "Vassilis"]
[Black "LCZero_32930"]
[Result "1/2-1/2"]
[BlackElo "2000"]
[ECO "E23"]
[Opening "Nimzo-Indian"]
[Time "19:01:48"]
[Variation "Spielmann, 4...c5 5.dxc5 Nc6"]
[WhiteElo "?"]
[Termination "normal"]
[PlyCount "87"]
[WhiteType "human"]
[BlackType "program"]

1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 e6 3. Nc3 Bb4 4. Qb3 c5 5. dxc5 Nc6 6. a3 Bxc5 7. Nf3 d5 8. cxd5 exd5 9. e3 O-O 10. Be2 a6 11. O-O Qd6 12. Na4 Ba7 13. Nb6 Na5 14. Nxc8 Rfxc8 15. Qa4 Nc4 16. Bxc4 dxc4 17. Qc2 b5 18. Bd2 Qe6 19. a4 Bc5 20. axb5 axb5 21. Bc3 Ne4 22. Bd4 Bf8 23. Nd2 Nxd2 24. Qxd2 b4 25. Rac1 Ra2 26. Rc2 c3 27. bxc3 b3 28. Rxa2 bxa2 29. Ra1 Ra8 30. Qc2 Qc4 31. g3 h5 32. Kg2 h4 33. h3 hxg3 34. fxg3 Bd6 35. Qf2 Ra5 36. Qf3 Rb5 37. Qa8+ Rb8 38. Qxa2 Qc6+ 39. Kf2 Qe4 40. c4 Qf5+ 41. Kg2 Qe4+ 42. Kf2 Qf5+ 43. Kg2 Qe4+ 44. Kf2 {3-fold repetition} 1/2-1/2

You are from Russia(?) you guys play a lot of chess.
Please tell me what's going on.

Warren D Smith

Feb 8, 2019, 6:29:23 PM2/8/19
to Vassilis, LCZero
Presumably depth=1 is a lot different than nodes=1.

Depth=1 with a full width search would be equivalent to about 35 nodes
on average.

Still, beating you nearly always with depth=1 already is pretty impressive.

Warren D Smith

Feb 8, 2019, 6:34:49 PM2/8/19
to Vassilis, LCZero
Oh sorry, I had it backwards -- your story actually is:
you (Vassilis) were beating leela at depth=1 (nodes=35?)
with older leela, now newer leela is beating you at nodes=1.

OK, then:
1.evidently leela has improved tremendously since version you had played before.
2.this is incredible to me that 1 node (no search at all) can nearly
always beat you.

(It sounds like you are comparable in strength to me.)

Absolutely incredible. How can anything be that good?

Ilya Kalinin

Feb 8, 2019, 6:35:13 PM2/8/19
to LCZero
Well it depends on gui u use whether depth=1 means 1 node or not, but in my case (program ChessBot), You can choose a depth and it shows all the parameters whilst the game including amount of nodes, so it was 1 node on the depth 1 and it was clear

Ilya Kalinin

Feb 8, 2019, 6:36:55 PM2/8/19
to LCZero

Warren, Yeah that is just what I meant! It's absolutely incredible!

vladimir...@gmail.com

Feb 8, 2019, 6:37:12 PM2/8/19
to LCZero
If I understand correctly, at nodes=1 we play only vs. policy network (or policy head), and evaluation part doesn't affect anything at all. The engine just picks the highest-rated move from probability distribution. And at depth=1 we play purely vs. value network/head.

Vassilis

Feb 8, 2019, 7:02:06 PM2/8/19
to LCZero
But Vladimir it's only one net!

You think it could be used differently in these two cases. Perhaps!
The truth is Leela is unbeatable in 1 node, for my standards. With the 32930 net. The one which loses to Stockfish... at TCEC!
Simply incredible

Vassilis

Feb 8, 2019, 7:12:03 PM2/8/19
to LCZero
I was wondering why there are 2 UCI commands:
'go depth n' and 'go nodes n'

I'm convinced now it's not the same...

Vassilis

Feb 8, 2019, 7:20:25 PM2/8/19
to LCZero
Ilya, is chessbot this commercial product?
http://www.chess-bot.com

Is there a Linux version?

Ilya Kalinin

Feb 8, 2019, 7:45:59 PM2/8/19
to LCZero
No, It is not commercial product, but I can send u the direct link to download it for windows. I do not know if there is any linux version

Vassilis

Feb 8, 2019, 7:56:44 PM2/8/19
to LCZero
Ok, send me the Windows link, and I'll do some searching to see if there is a Linux version.
Thank you so much, Ilya :)

Ilya Kalinin

Feb 8, 2019, 7:57:14 PM2/8/19
to LCZero
Aah, sorry, i meant it is commercial project, it's not free but I have cracked version

Vassilis

Feb 8, 2019, 8:05:56 PM2/8/19
to LCZero
Ok sorry :)
Then it must be the one I thought!

jimgl...@gmail.com

Feb 8, 2019, 8:11:26 PM2/8/19
to LCZero
Interesting! Good experiment.

But I suggest being honest. Let people know that they will be playing Leela "handicapped to looking at only one node (!)" and I bet you'll get a lot of happy opponent takers.

Your results will be more robust too.

Even tell them "it is in the name of science", and they are helping accelerate the date of the singularity.

Ilya Kalinin

Feb 8, 2019, 8:20:36 PM2/8/19
to LCZero
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Vassilis

Feb 9, 2019, 5:19:24 AM2/9/19
to LCZero
Thank you Ilya :)

Unfortunately ChessBot is a Windows only GUI so not of much use for me!
I know I can run it through wine or inside virtual box, but I prefer Linux native apps.

PS: Why don't you use Arena? www.playwitharena.com
It's free and rich in features.

Again, thank you.

Shah

Feb 9, 2019, 2:37:24 PM2/9/19
to LCZero
Ilya, thanks for the great information.
So, is it certain and verified that we are indeed talking about 1 single node and not anything else?
If indeed that is the case, it is astonishing.
I cannot even begin to understand it.
But if that is the case, doesn't it imply, that part of leela has somehow specialized in tactical evaluation?
And wouldn't that necessarily be a non optimized network??
As I understand it, the nn "should focus" on strategy, letting the tree search handle tactics.

vladimir...@gmail.com

Feb 9, 2019, 2:52:41 PM2/9/19
to LCZero
Is it possible to configure engine tournament in Arena when Leela will play at 1 node per move, while all other participants at 1 min + 1 sec. increment?
I would like to find this Leela level in my homebrew rating list.
It is loading more messages.