NASA video stream, NULL

George Varros

Oct 9, 2009, 8:04:43 AM10/9/09
to LCROSS_Observation
I tried to watch the NASA feed but it was a non-event with no live
feed from a ground based telescope, nor any "visible" results from the
shepherding spacecraft's view.

I hope all you amateurs who worked so hard DID actually get results :)

George Varros

George Varros

Oct 9, 2009, 8:32:56 AM10/9/09
to LCROSS_Observation
Space.Com has this post:

Astronomers at Palomar Observatory outside of San Diego report they
saw no evidence of an impact plume through the 200-inch Hale
Telescope. Outfitted with adaptive optics, the telescope has a
resolution of about 180 meters per pixel, according to Scott Kardel,
the observatory's public information coordinator.
1152 GMT (7:52 a.m. EDT)

http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/sfn-091008-lcross-updates.html

luis martinez

Oct 9, 2009, 8:41:26 AM10/9/09
to lcross_ob...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like it was not all NASA hoped for. I just came in the house, had a
local reporter sitting with me to do a story. No need to point out the
obvious, if Palomar did not see it, I surely didn't either.....

Luis Martinez

"We have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night. "
- epitaph on the tombstone of two astronomers

zei...@verizon.net

Oct 9, 2009, 8:16:09 AM10/9/09
to lcross_ob...@googlegroups.com, lcross_ob...@googlegroups.com
Enclose is an image made @ the time of impact can't say that I saw anything . I'm real tired having stayed up all night so after I get some sleep I'll have at the video again. Robert Griffith Observatory                  http://www.angelfire.com/space2/robertspellman/Lcrossimpact.html                                                                                                                                                  http://www.angelfire.com/space2/robertspellman/
Robert Spellman ZEISSMAN
impacttimecomp1.jpg
impacttimecomp12x.jpg

Deirdre Kelleghan

Oct 9, 2009, 8:46:23 AM10/9/09
to lcross_ob...@googlegroups.com
Wow that is a big scope , it should be interesting to see the data when it comes
Does no plume , indicate no water ice ?

Deirdre

2009/10/9 George Varros <gva...@gmail.com>

--
Deirdre Kelleghan
Vice Char IFAS

Arnold Ashcraft

Oct 9, 2009, 2:58:27 PM10/9/09
to lcross_ob...@googlegroups.com
At the moment all it indicates is that the estimates of the plume brightness were probably way off.  We'll have to wait for the spectroscopic results to know about whether they detected ice.
          Clif

Gary Spiers

Oct 9, 2009, 2:16:04 PM10/9/09
to lcross_ob...@googlegroups.com
Palomar images, which are the best I've seen so far, can be found here:

http://www.astro.caltech.edu/palomar/lcross.html

Gary