Update to infrared plume

1 view

Brian

Oct 10, 2009, 12:42:19 AM10/10/09
to LCROSS_Observation
If that is indeed the plume then it may have measured 1-2 miles wide.
I found a reference to the crater size being approx. 60.9 miles wide.
I added an additional slide to the original power point with a photo
of the crater next to the infrared still, adjusted for the angles
loaded as Centaur Impact_1.ppt.

I drew a dotted line across the crater and then placed the same line
next to the impact. The dashed line has 30-31 segments.
Approximately 2 miles each. The spot on the infrared is almost one
dash, thus by my cocktail napkin calculation the plume was very big.
Just small at the scale we were looking at.

canopus56

Oct 12, 2009, 12:34:22 AM10/12/09
to LCROSS_Observation
Nicely done animation, Brian. - Kurt