Problems with SSI

1 view

Mierka

Feb 23, 2012, 2:36:21 PM2/23/12
to lbsc690-spring12-0101
So I got the CSS style page done for my pages with one minor glitch
that doesn't seem noteworthy but the navigation box as an SSI is not
working for me.

My navigation code looks like this
<ul>
li>
li>
</ul></div>

I copied the slides from class relatively closely and it's clearly
connecting to my other pages but the problem is what it's doing. For
some reason or another when I add the navigation page to terpconnect
(happens with either html or shtml format) my navigation box doesn't
appear and instead all the text on the page turns into links that go
nowhere. Anybody have any idea what is going on with this?

I'm on campus this afternoon if anyone is free to help me figure it
out.

Help please!
Thanks,
Mierka

William Webber

Feb 23, 2012, 3:34:43 PM2/23/12
to lbsc690-sp...@googlegroups.com
Three words: close double quotes.

Mierka

Feb 23, 2012, 3:47:43 PM2/23/12
to lbsc690-spring12-0101
Aaaahh thank you!!!
yet another reason why a second pair of eyes makes all the difference.
Thanks!

William Webber

Feb 23, 2012, 3:52:19 PM2/23/12
to lbsc690-sp...@googlegroups.com
This leapt out at me when I did "view page source". Under my
browser (Firefox) at least, the HTML source is syntactically
color-coded; if there's something wrong with the syntax, then
it's often clearly visible in the color coding.

A good HTML editor will provide similar functionality, but
unfortunately WordPad and TextEdit don't count as good
HTML editors. (People are welcome to use HTML editors,
as long as they're what Wikipedia calls "text editors"; that
is, you're directly editing the code as if it were text, not
working in WYSIWYG mode.)

William