THERM silent installation in Docker container

Josh Tate

Aug 13, 2019, 10:01:39 AM8/13/19
to THERM
I'm trying to silently install THERM in a Docker container, but nothing seems to work.  I get the installation to run but it never finishes running.  Here is the install command we are using:

cmd /S /C " "C:\THERM7_7_07_SetupFull.exe" /s /sms /f1"C:\therm-setup.iss" /f2"C:\therm-setup.log" /a /w /v"/qn" "

However, looking in the Program Files directory, the exe and all other files are there.  Other files also were installed into C:\Users\Public\LBNL.  I believe something is getting stuck during the installation (hence why the installation never fully exits), but there is no visibility as to why it's stuck.  The base Docker image we are using is from Microsoft:

microsoft/dotnet-framework:4.7.2-runtime-20190212-windowsservercore-ltsc2016

After a certain period of time though, it outputs a log file for the setup process that shows this:

[InstallShield Silent]

Version=v7.00

File=Log File

[ResponseResult]

ResultCode=0

[Application]

Name=THERM7.7

Version=7.7.07

Company=LBNL

Lang=0409

So it seems to show that it installs correctly, however like I said above, the installation process never actually exits, as I can see "THERM7_7_07_SetupFull.exe" is still running in the task list.

But since we saw the program files were actually installed, we tried to run THERM via command line to create a .thmx file from a .thm file but it doesn't output anything.  There are also no errors from what I can see.  We did install the pre-requisites (Visual C++ runtime and Fortran) into the Docker container and they were installed successfully, so that shouldn't be an issue.  Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong or how to find out what's being stuck?  Are there any more pre-requisites that may need to be installed in order for the installation to complete?

Robin Mitchell

Aug 13, 2019, 4:10:52 PM8/13/19
to THERM
Josh

We (LBNL) don't have any experience with silent installs, or using Docker (at least for this type of use).

Maybe someone else on this forum will have some ideas -- it could be that there is some dialog box that comes up in the installation that breaks the silent install.

But this is not something that we have the bandwidth to support.

Robin
Message has been deleted

Robin Mitchell

Sep 23, 2019, 2:46:18 PM9/23/19
to THERM
This topic was recently spammed. I have banned the author and deleted their post.

Please do not click on the link in the latest reply to this thread.

Robin