Psi-value, linear thermal bridge

Ikkegp

Oct 11, 2013, 9:54:24 AM10/11/13
to LBNL-...@googlegroups.com
Can i find the Psi-value for a linear thermal bridge in Therm?
I want a value for the thermal bridge for the Passive House-concept.

Thanks

Glenn

in...@space-and-light.co.uk

Jan 19, 2014, 6:28:46 AM1/19/14
to LBNL-...@googlegroups.com

Marles McDonald

Jan 20, 2014, 11:50:30 AM1/20/14
to LBNL-...@googlegroups.com

Try this, assuming you are trying to get the Psi-install value for a window and want the bridging between the window frame and the primary wall structure. Open the an existing Therm window drawing for the glazing you plan to use and save as a different file. Add the bridging construction to the frame in the correct location and include enough the homogeneous wall construction to ensure that all the bridging is captured, I suggest about 100mm. Assign interior and exterior boundary conditions as usual but tag the interior window frame and homogeneous portion of the drawing as NONE and tag the bridging element as FRAME, the glass can still be tagged as edge, it doesn't matter. Calculate and the U value for the frame should be your Psi install. This is the basic technique,it assigns a u-factor to the bridging element only.  Make sure to adjust you dimensions and Frame Tag to match the standard or specification you are using. Passive House is somewhat different but the principle applies. Also make sure you are using Window7/Therm7 if using EN673 calculations.

Robin,Christian at LBNL Let me know if I've missed something.

Marles McDonald

D. Charlie Curcija/LBNL

Jan 31, 2014, 4:37:20 PM1/31/14
to LBNL-...@googlegroups.com
I need to brush up on my Passive house methods, but European Psi value generally requires running two simulations, one with foam and other with the actual system inserted (at least for window thermal bridges). The math to calculate Psi from those two THERM results can be downloaded from our web site.

BB Gmail

Jan 31, 2014, 4:49:04 PM1/31/14
to D. Charlie Curcija/LBNL, LBNL-...@googlegroups.com
There's a training scheduled in SF in March that will teach the Passive House methodology for calculating Psi (for wall, foundation and window assemblies.) Here's the link:
http://passivehousecal.org/event/thermal-bridge-calculations-using-therm-canphi-training

Sent from my iPhone
--
You can view the THERM forum online at: http://windows.lbl.gov/software/THERM/forum