Hot air temperature inside cavity

Tim A

Jan 9, 2014, 11:19:52 AM1/9/14
to LBNL-...@googlegroups.com
I'm modeling a spandrel panel of a curtain wall assembly, which includes the glazing system, followed by a large air cavity, followed by insulation.   During the daytime, the large air cavity becomes extremely hot due to the solar radiation.   I know THERM doesn't directly account for the effect of solar radiation, but I'd like to model the high temperatures that develop inside that cavity if possible so that I can determine how hot I can expect some of the other components in the assembly to get.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can set a different air temperature within the cavity?  Alternatively, does anyone have any ideas of how I can essentially "trick" the program into obtaining a similar result?

Thanks

D. Charlie Curcija/LBNL

Jan 31, 2014, 4:30:37 PM1/31/14
to LBNL-...@googlegroups.com
You can force temperature by creating simplified boundary condition with "Film Coefficient" set to very high value (e.g., 9999) and desired temperature that you want to force. However, this can only be done on the boundary, which may not work in all situations..

We plan to implement applied heat flux and volumetric heat generation in future versions of THERM, which would be the right way to replicate solar glazing model from WINDOW.