Question about u-factor result options

Hanieh Nasirpour

Feb 10, 2020, 7:25:48 AM2/10/20
to THERM
Hi
Can someone please explain to me in what situation should the total length option be used for the u-factor result? I checked the THERM 7 simulation manual but there was no explanation about this option and it was only stated that the projected in glass pane option is generally used except in some special cases in which you should use the custom length option. However, in some cases choosing total length instead of projected in glass pane can result in more acceptable and logical u-factors.

Ventura, Ed Ramir

Feb 10, 2020, 12:53:18 PM2/10/20
to Hanieh Nasirpour, THERM
total length measures the entire length of the u factor surfaces tagged identically. I would use it only if your section is flat, example would be a section of a plain stud wall.
image.png

But once you have a section with a cove then you should not use total length
image.png

--
You can view the THERM forum online at: http://windows.lbl.gov/software/THERM/forum
---

Robin Mitchell

Feb 10, 2020, 1:53:20 PM2/10/20
to THERM
What you use for the U-factor choice will depend on what you are wanting to calculate.

In the US, the NFRC (National Fenestration Rating Council) requires that U-factors are calculated based on projected dimensions, not total length. That is why the default selection in the U-factors dialog box is "Projected in Glass Plane".

Robin