Exterior opening (what is the right way of modelling)

Edin Mer

Sep 16, 2014, 9:34:09 PM9/16/14
to LBNL-...@googlegroups.com
Hello!
Can somebody tell me if the exterior opening of aluminium frame (transom) should be modelled as "Frame cavity slightly ventilated NFRC 100" or just left empty and then apply "NFRC 100-2010 Exterior" boundary condition?
See attached screenshot. I am asking this because it is a pretty big area.
Thanks,
Edin
transom.jpg

Robin Mitchell

Sep 16, 2014, 10:08:59 PM9/16/14
to Edin Mer, LBNL-...@googlegroups.com

Edin

See page Section 6.3.7, page 6-13 of the THERM/WINDOW NFRC Simulation Manual for guidance on modeling slightly ventilated cavities.

http://windows.lbl.gov/software/NFRC/SimMan/NFRCSim6.3-2013-07-Manual.pdf

***

Robin Mitchell

Building Technology and Energy Systems

Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory

--
You can view the THERM forum online at: http://windows.lbl.gov/software/THERM/forum
---

Edin Mer

Sep 16, 2014, 10:23:29 PM9/16/14
to LBNL-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your answer, Robin.
But "Slightly ventilated exterior cavities" are only for cavities between 2 and 10mm. In my case the size is 21mm (see attached picture).
In Figure 6-11 (Ch. 6.3.7) it is written "For cavities > 10mm, do not model a frame cavity".
So I guess I shouldn't model it (as in attached picture) - just apply Exterior boundary condition.
Am I correct?

cavity_size.jpg

Jose Li

Sep 23, 2014, 3:49:52 AM9/23/14
to LBNL-...@googlegroups.com
literally, this cavity is not "slightly ventilated cavity".
But normally there are gaskets in this 21mm area for water-proof  or better insulation.

D. Charlie Curcija/LBNL

Dec 8, 2014, 12:49:41 PM12/8/14
to LBNL-...@googlegroups.com
This is correct. However, when gasket is present it needs to be modeled. If indeed there is opening greater than 10 mm, it is trrated not as cavity but as exterior BC (i.e., boundary goes inside the cavity).