Why is Emissivity in Boundary Condition

Benjamin Brannon

Dec 12, 2017, 11:28:11 PM12/12/17
to THERM
I'm new to Therm, so I hope this question isn't too simple, but I can't understand why an emissivity needs to be defined for a boundary condition.  It's already a material property, as it should be.  Why would it also change based upon the boundary condition?

Alessandro Marzi

Dec 13, 2017, 10:30:41 AM12/13/17
to THERM
Hi Benjamin,
I think is due to the fact that you can choose to assign different values to the internal or the external surface of a material. The most common case is aluminium that has an internal face not painted and the external one painted.
Anyway, if you check my last post, I noticed that each time you change that property, when you open a second time the boundary condition after assigning a value (or the cavity to which you change it), you'll find the original value and this can bring to lose control of your operations.

Alessandro

Robin Mitchell/LBNL

Dec 13, 2017, 1:29:34 PM12/13/17
to THERM
See my previous answer about the fix in THERM 7.6 so that now the changes to emissivities are saved.

Robin