Getting the Coordinates for "Red Circles" Out of THERM

Chris Mackey

Aug 15, 2017, 6:38:41 PM8/15/17
to THERM
Hello!

I am the software developer of an open source CAD plugin for THERM for which you can see in a few examples here (http://hydrashare.github.io/hydra/?keywords=lbnl).

I have a question that I realize is very specific to this software developer situation but would be immensely helpful to all of the users of the plugin.  Thanks to the newly-available capabilities with THERM CLI, I have been able to support a very streamlined workflow with real time updates between the CAD software and THERM.  That is ... unless the meshing algorithm fails.  In this case, I have had to tell users to open the THMX file that the plugin generates in THERM, regenerate boundary conditions, and see where the "red circles" appear, as in the following image:

This process would be much faster if there was some way for me to get the coordinates of the red circles and display them within the CAD interface.

So my question is:  Is it currently possible to get the coordinates of the "red circles" out of failed THERM meshing operations?   I can't seem to find a file that contains this data but, it it exists and you let me know where it is, I would be very grateful to you (along with many users of the plugin)

Thank you,
-Chris

Chris Mackey

Aug 17, 2017, 10:42:19 AM8/17/17
to THERM
I just wanted to add that any response on this issue would be extremely helpful.  Even if it is just, "I don't think it is currently possible to get this data out of the THERM meshing algorithm."

I'll be doing a stable release of the CAD plugin in the next few days and making some tutorial videos to accompany it.  I was just trying to get a sense of whether the red circles are a feature that I should add before this release or something that should be planned for the future.  I'll press ahead assuming that it's not possible to get the circles out of THERM if there's no update on this post within the next few days.

Again, thank you immensely for this great piece of software and any guidance that you can provide on this issue will be greatly appreciated,
-Chris

Robin Mitchell

Aug 17, 2017, 11:26:35 AM8/17/17
to Chris Mackey, THERM
I will discuss this with the THERM programmers here. I'm not sure whether it is currently possibly to get those coordinates, but I will confirm yes or no. And we can add it to to our list of "future" features.

Robin

--
You can view the THERM forum online at: http://windows.lbl.gov/software/THERM/forum
---

Robin Mitchell
Building Technology and Urban Systems Department
Environmental Energy Technologies Division
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory

Robin Mitchell

Aug 17, 2017, 11:34:12 AM8/17/17
to Chris Mackey, THERM
All

I just verified with the THERM programmer that the coordinates for the red circles are not available. We will put it on our enhancements list, but we have limited funding for THERM features, so there is no guarantee when this would get added.

Robin

Chris Mackey

Aug 17, 2017, 12:51:11 PM8/17/17
to THERM, chrism...@gmail.com
Thank you for the response, Robin.  I'll push forward with the plugin release and plan to implement this in the future once it's available.

I don't know how much help I can be given that the source code of THERM is currently unavailable but, if there is any way that I could contribute to adding this feature, please let me know.  I'm aware that the current DoE funding situation is far from ideal and you should know that the open source volunteer community has your back if times get tough.

Thanks again for the response for this great software!