Can't draw boundary conditions

Viola Kosseda

Jul 30, 2014, 5:35:31 PM7/30/14
to LBNL-...@googlegroups.com

I have problem with drawing boundary conditions for model attached to this post. When I insert one glass pane it seems to work fine, as soon as I enter the second one, I get all those errors marked in red as shown on the screen shot below.

Ultimately I would also like to create my own spacer for a toggle system (see screenshot 3). Is that possible in general? Since I can’t even test the model with the generic spacer, I am not sure about the special solution.

your help is highly appreciated.

Option1_Steel Round Hollow Section.THM

Robin Mitchell

Jul 30, 2014, 6:08:40 PM7/30/14
to Viola Kosseda, LBNL-...@googlegroups.com

Viola

I tried opening this file in both THERM 6 and THERM 7, and got errors in both. What version did you create this in? Look at Help/About to get the exact version number, ie, 7.2.7.

Robin

***

Robin Mitchell

Building Technology and Energy Systems

Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory

--
You can view the THERM forum online at: http://windows.lbl.gov/software/THERM/forum
---

Robin Mitchell

Jul 30, 2014, 6:10:02 PM7/30/14
to Viola Kosseda, LBNL-...@googlegroups.com

Never mind. I was able to open it in the latest 7.2 version.

Robin

***

Robin Mitchell

Building Technology and Energy Systems

Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory

Sep 30, 2014, 9:37:44 AM9/30/14
to LBNL-...@googlegroups.com
I have had the exactly same problem recently. It started on THERM v 7.2.7 and also on v 7.2.9. And it seems occurring only on Structural Sealant Glazing details. Even I took an old Therm file that works fine, but once I change the glass, say deleting the existing glass and insert a new one from WINDOW (compatible version), and I got all the red circles around when drawing boundary conditions, with error messages saying:The geometry contains voids or overlapping regions...etc. I've checked all these areas and there was nothing like voids or overlapping...I've attached THERM file. Appreciate any response/hint/help.
Prudential - SSG VMR_Lam IGU Optiwhite 09302014.THM

Douglas Hauck

Feb 10, 2015, 1:16:11 PM2/10/15
to LBNL-...@googlegroups.com
Same problem as Jian Yan.  I see it in 7.2 and 7.3, but I have no errors in 6.3.  When I try to generate BC for a Head that looks like the image below (but without the brown nub at the top) I get the "voids/overlaps" error message.  However, I can:
  • Run the same profile right-side up in a Sill or Jamb.
  • Run the head but with the two PIB (orange) blocks removed and their points deleted, so it is just a 2-box spacer.
  • Most importantly, I can run it if I have something that hangs out beyond the outer glazing edge, like the brown nub shown below.  But if I change the nub so it is flush with the glazing edge, I get the error again.
I have been through the *.ini files for all three versions, but can't find any differences that jump out as a possible cause.  What is going on here?

Thanks,
Doug

Douglas Hauck

Feb 10, 2015, 1:48:46 PM2/10/15
to LBNL-...@googlegroups.com

Okay, since the THERMHelp@lbl .gov address is apparently not being monitored anymore, per the auto-response I received, here is the email I sent there, which has a fuller description of this issue than what I posted above.  I have also attached the two files it references.

I am having a problem with generating Boundary Conditions for the included file.  Specifically, I get the standard “voids/overlaps” message, but I can’t find any voids or overlaps in the file.

However, I get no error if I:

    • Run the same profile right-side up in a Sill or Jamb.
    • Run the head but with the two PIB blocks removed and their points deleted, so it is just a 2-box spacer.
    • Most importantly, I can run it if I have something that hangs out beyond the outer glazing edge, like the green nub you see here.  But if I change the nub’s upper-left corner so it is flush with the glazing edge, I get the error again.

    I see the problem in 7.2 and 7.3, but not in 6.3.  The attached file was created with version 7.3.2, but I have created similar files in v6.3 and v7.2.  The v6.3 file works just fine in v6.3, but gives the error when I try to generate BC in 7.2 or 7.3.

    I also included an Excel file of the *.ini values for each of the three versions.  I don’t see anything that jumps out as a possible cause.

    INI_Files.xlsx
    Test_File_T7_HD.THM

    Robin Mitchell

    Feb 10, 2015, 1:51:55 PM2/10/15
    to Douglas Hauck, LBNL-...@googlegroups.com
    Doug

    There seem to be issues with generating boundary conditions in THERM 7.3. We are looking into them, and having this file to work with will help.

    Robin
    **
    Windows & Daylighting Group
    Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory

    --
    You can view the THERM forum online at: http://windows.lbl.gov/software/THERM/forum
    ---

    Robin Mitchell
    Building Technology and Urban Systems Department
    Environmental Energy Technologies Division
    Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory

    Robin Mitchell/LBNL

    Feb 23, 2015, 10:41:18 PM2/23/15
    to LBNL-...@googlegroups.com
    Several THERM 7.3 users have reported this problem, and with help from Marles, we have at least figured out a work around until we can fix it in the program. The issue seems to be when you add a 2nd glazing system. The program seems to generate the Boundary Conditions correctly when there is only one glazing system, but adding the 2nd one seems to cause the problem.

    Marles figured out that adding a small extra polygon somewhere on the exterior of the model results in the program being able to generate the boundary conditions. This solution may not be acceptable for NFRC certification runs, but for other types of simulations, hopefully this solution will be acceptable.

    If I add a VERY small triangle on the upper right corner of the outer polygon, as shown in the image below, the program will generate the boundary conditions.

    It is less than a mm on the short side.

    Adding this polygon should allow the program to generate the boundary conditions.

    We will try to get this bug fixed relatively soon.

    Robin