Non-continuous element simulation

Angelica Maria Fernandez Rubio

Oct 3, 2019, 11:45:34 AM10/3/19
to THERM
Good Morning,

I have a question about this plate. Some simulator say that exist a method for calculate this kind of large non-continuous element and apparently it is not the same as the Isothermal Planes Method which is use for bolts, screws, etc. I do not know if the NFRC has a method for doing this and also I could not find anything in the manuals or internet. Hope you can help me.

Therm version: 7.7

mullion.jpg

MULLION DOS.THM

Matthew Gelowitz

Oct 3, 2019, 5:23:01 PM10/3/19
to THERM

Angelica Maria Fernandez Rubio

Oct 4, 2019, 9:58:32 AM10/4/19
to THERM
Hi Matthew,

Thanks for answer, unfortunately the manual talks about bolts and other non-continuous elements, but they are small so my question is still the same.

Thanks for your time.

yalin uluaydin

Oct 9, 2019, 9:49:17 AM10/9/19
to THERM
Angelica,
What results are you trying to obtain? For u-value and transmittance of the frame you can use the screw thermal bridge parallel path method in the Therm Manual. It would be conservative but works.

For condensation analysis at a point bridge the parallel path is too conservative so 3D is probably the only way to get realistic results.

Yalin

Angelica Maria Fernandez Rubio

Oct 10, 2019, 9:29:26 AM10/10/19
to THERM
Hi Yalin,

In the Manual "Therm/Window 7", they use "the isothermal planes method" for Bolt not the parallel path. I have tried to find information about the parallel path method, but i could not find that much. I read that the Parallel Path Method does not work for highly conductive elements, so I do not sure about it because the plate is too large.

Matthew Gelowitz

Oct 10, 2019, 10:38:55 AM10/10/19
to THERM
Angelica,

I don't believe Section 20.8 is exclusive to bolts.
Possibly someone at LBNL can shed some light on that. I've used 20.8 in scenarios similar to yours.

yalin uluaydin

Oct 11, 2019, 7:28:16 PM10/11/19
to THERM
I said tbat for u-value you can use the method in the therm manual. I did mispeak about the name of the method. It is the isothermal planes.

Iso15099 limits this to bridges that are 10% and some other limitations in the manual. It is all pretty cut and dry for uvalue.

If the goal is to obtain accurate temperature distribution that is obviously not possible for a 2D model to give a 3D temperature result.

What is the result you need? Temperature or the heat uvalue?

Yalin