Therm and Windows started as non-admin - Registry error

Ralf Rötzer

Apr 3, 2020, 12:58:46 PM4/3/20
to THERM
After installing Therm and Windows with admin rights. If the following error occurs when starting the programs with user rights.

Therm_7_Error.png

Unfortunately there is no hint for this error in the knowledgebase.

Robin Mitchell

Apr 3, 2020, 1:00:06 PM4/3/20
to Ralf Rötzer, THERM
Did you try running it as administrator?

Robin

--
You can view the THERM forum online at: http://windows.lbl.gov/software/THERM/forum
---

Robin Mitchell
Building Technology and Urban Systems Division
Energy Technologies Area
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory

Ralf Rötzer

Apr 3, 2020, 1:07:42 PM4/3/20
to THERM
Installation as Admin -> no error
Running the Programs as Admin -> no error
Running the Programs as User (non-Admin) -> error

On Fri, Apr 3, 2020 at 9:59 AM Ralf Rötzer <ralf....@gmail.com> wrote:
After installing Therm and Windows with admin rights. If the following error occurs when starting the programs with user rights.

Therm_7_Error.png

Unfortunately there is no hint for this error in the knowledgebase.

--
You can view the THERM forum online at: http://windows.lbl.gov/software/THERM/forum
---

Robin Mitchell

Apr 3, 2020, 1:08:57 PM4/3/20
to Ralf Rötzer, THERM
right. So unfortunately, you will need to run as administrator

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/LBNL-THERM/4da5617f-f903-4d5f-92c2-c533f330031f%40googlegroups.com.

Ralf Rötzer

Apr 3, 2020, 1:15:17 PM4/3/20
to THERM
With the older versions this was no problem.
I have to install the software by distribution on more than 50 PCs where the users have no admin rights.

Am Freitag, 3. April 2020 19:08:57 UTC+2 schrieb Robin Mitchell:
right. So unfortunately, you will need to run as administrator

Robin Mitchell

Apr 3, 2020, 1:18:32 PM4/3/20
to Ralf Rötzer, THERM
Let me check with our programmers to see what might be different with this version.

When you are talking versions, what is the "older version", and what version are you now running?

Robin

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/LBNL-THERM/8d58f6c6-ddc1-44bc-bf49-fa0e1f75234a%40googlegroups.com.

Ralf Rötzer

Apr 3, 2020, 1:49:50 PM4/3/20
to THERM
Thank you
The older versions are 6.3
The current is 7.7.1.0

Am Freitag, 3. April 2020 19:18:32 UTC+2 schrieb Robin Mitchell:
Let me check with our programmers to see what might be different with this version.

When you are talking versions, what is the "older version", and what version are you now running?

Robin

Robin Mitchell

Apr 3, 2020, 2:03:34 PM4/3/20
to Ralf Rötzer, THERM
OK, I'll pass that on to the programmers.

Thanks

Robin

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/LBNL-THERM/308857d7-e6b5-4d69-b123-5b50921b9bc9%40googlegroups.com.

Robin Mitchell

Apr 3, 2020, 4:08:00 PM4/3/20
to Ralf Rötzer, THERM
Run the following in the command prompt.  If you are not using a 64bit OS omit the WOW6432Node bit

reg export HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\LBNL lbnl.reg

Then email the resulting lbnl.reg file, probably zipped is best

Robin

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/LBNL-THERM/308857d7-e6b5-4d69-b123-5b50921b9bc9%40googlegroups.com.

Ralf Rötzer

May 20, 2020, 8:21:04 AM5/20/20
to THERM
Hello, Robin,
took some time, the affected laptop was unavailable.
Enclosed the zip file with the exported registry entry.

Thanks a lot
Ralf

Am Freitag, 3. April 2020 22:08:00 UTC+2 schrieb Robin Mitchell:
Run the following in the command prompt.  If you are not using a 64bit OS omit the WOW6432Node bit

reg export HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\LBNL lbnl.reg

Then email the resulting lbnl.reg file, probably zipped is best

Robin

lbnl.zip

Ralf Rötzer

May 28, 2020, 7:46:25 AM5/28/20
to THERM
Problem solved. The user only needs full access (permissions) to the registry path under HKLM\Software\WOW6432Node\LBNL.