Therm 7.8 - Mesh error

Luis Chacha

Apr 18, 2024, 2:42:42 PMApr 18
to THERM
Hi,

Therm 7.8 is not allowing me to run the calculation.  Initially I will get the following message:

Screenshot 2024-04-18 143338.png

Then this, after increasing the Quad tree mesh:

Screenshot 2024-04-18 142723.png

Can someone help, or advice?

Sill - Type 2.THM

Robin Mitchell

Apr 18, 2024, 2:43:42 PMApr 18
to Luis Chacha, THERM
In this situation, you generally need to simplify your model in order to allow THERM to mesh it.

I will take a look at your file and see if I have suggestions about how to simplify it.

Robin

--
You can view the THERM forum online at:
https://groups.google.com/g/LBNL-THERM

Robin Mitchell
Building Technology and Urban Systems Division
Energy Technologies Area
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory

Robin Mitchell

Apr 18, 2024, 2:54:22 PMApr 18
to Luis Chacha, THERM
There are a lot of points that don't really need to be in the model, particularly when defining curves. I deleted lots of points in curves that won't affect the results but which eventually allowed the model to mesh.

I also shortened the height of the concrete element, because it didn't need to be that tall to model the thermal effects and having a "tall" model can make it harder for THERM to mesh it.

image.png
The attached model now simulates
image.png
image.png

Sill - Type 2-RM.THM

Robin Mitchell

Apr 18, 2024, 2:55:17 PMApr 18
to Luis Chacha, THERM
This model was created using THERM 7.8.74. I don't know what version you are using, but if it is an earlier version, you probably can't open the file I created.

Robin

Luis Chacha

Apr 18, 2024, 4:24:14 PMApr 18
to Robin Mitchell, THERM
Robin,

Thank you so much, this is very helpful.  I will simplify the geometry much better next time.

Best,
--
Luis Chacha
SENIOR FACADE DESIGNER