Frustrating issues with Therm

Rasna

Jul 11, 2017, 10:58:47 AM7/11/17
to THERM
We have to use this program on the order of our Professor, but it's frusttrating. Overlapping problems or distorted polygons even if the only polylines were drawn on Autocad and imported. There isn't a "back" command if you do a mistake. The zoom command is idiotic. I can't move from one side to the other of the drawing with the keyboard arrows, to add another one. OVERLAPPIN REGIONS!
I thank those who who made thi program, but hell, it can be improved, a lot.
Rasna

Robin Mitchell/LBNL

Jul 11, 2017, 1:35:51 PM7/11/17
to THERM
We have limited funding to support THERM (it is funded by the US Department of Energy) and so there is a bit of a learning curve to use it effectively because it is not as user friendly as it might be. And the DXF import is one of the oldest functionalities in the software -- we have never been able to prioritize making it more user friendly because there are always other features that take priority, mostly in terms of the actual thermal simulation functionality.

In terms of overlapping polygons from an Autocad import, you should delete the overlapping polygons, and then either draw them by hand or use the Fill tool if appropriate. The program will snap to the underlay points, so it's not as painful as it might sound.

What are you trying to model for your class?

Robin

Marles McDonald

Jul 11, 2017, 4:03:41 PM7/11/17
to THERM
OK, as a 15 plus year user of Therm  here are some helpful hints.
Overlapping problems in underlays are usually due to slight overlaps in the CAD files themselves. Therm snaps to the underlay as the first optionif it is set to automatically check ofr overlaps.  It is a good practice when drawing to disable automatic checking for overlaps (Options/Preferences/Drawing Options-uncheck the box for always check for overlapping polygons) if you do so the cursor will snap to the existing polygon or the nearest underlay line or point.
Distorted polygons are typically a visual issue only or due to some issue with auto-converting  polylines.
When doing underlays I suggest disabling autoconvert, it is almost always easier to trace the drawing than deal with overlapping regions particularly if there are a lot of poly lines inside each other for example concentric circles.
While on underlays:
DFX files need to be AutoCad R12 or earlier format.
The DXF files needs to be closed in all other programs or it won't import.
If you have trouble with parts of the drawing not showing, open in a cad program and explode the drawing several times until it all comes in.
If you are getting perspective lines or other similar lines that you don't want they will almost always go away if you uncheck solids and trace in the DXF filters.
On circles or other polygons that completely enclose a space, Therm does not recognize the enclosing polygon if it is drawn completely enclosing the space. The polygon needs to have at least 2 segments.
There is a back command (edit undo or Control Z )but it is only one layer deep so is best used for undoing a deletion or something similar..
If you are drawing a polygon and need to go back one or more points it is possible, use the escape key and a choice pops up to delete the point or polygon, select point then repeat the process for each additional contiguous point.

Robin Mitchell

Jul 11, 2017, 4:08:03 PM7/11/17
to Marles McDonald, THERM
Thanks Marles !!

Robin

--
You can view the THERM forum online at: http://windows.lbl.gov/software/THERM/forum
---

Robin Mitchell
Building Technology and Urban Systems Department
Environmental Energy Technologies Division
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory

Marles McDonald

Jul 11, 2017, 4:14:23 PM7/11/17
to THERM
Robin,
You're welcome. Until we can get someone to break out enough money to modernize the user interface, which doesn't look like it will happen in the near future, I hope I can help users get past the mechanical issues so that Therm ( and LBNL Window) can do the job they are designed for.

Marles

Robin Mitchell/LBNL

Jul 11, 2017, 7:46:12 PM7/11/17
to THERM
It seems like the problem might be that the drawing scale was not set properly -- the polygons are all very small, which can cause multiple overlap problems. This is something to watch for if you see a lot of overlapping polygons that don't make sense. Use the Tape Measure tool to measure a few polygons and make sure they are the correct dimensions. If the drawing needs to be rescaled, use the Set Drawing Scale under the Draw menu.