Tuliptree

Christine Brill

May 28, 2022, 1:34:45 PM5/28/22
to Lawrenceville Tree Tenders Google Groups
Alert! (At least) one of these beauties is blooming in Arsenal Park right now!

On the 39th Street side of the park adjacent to the pathway (east side of path next to softball field). It's so beautiful! Wondering if there's a way to get these park trees labeled more permanently, for education purposes and to raise awareness? Arsenal is a mini arboretum.

Matt or Lisa, do you have any thoughts on this? Does the city have any standards regarding tree id signs? Do other city parks have any trees identified? I have seen signs in Allegheny Cemetery but can't recall seeing them in parks.

--
Christine Brill
412.443.4210

Maeve Rafferty

May 28, 2022, 6:38:26 PM5/28/22
to lawrenceville...@googlegroups.com
That’s a big conversation, Christine. For now I’m gonna share my pic of tulip tree flowers taken in Allegheny Cemetery. I was noticing how splendid they were just yesterday.

Matt Erb

May 31, 2022, 11:04:42 AM5/31/22
to lawrenceville...@googlegroups.com
Good Morning,

The City now has two parks that are arboretums, Mellon and Westinghouse. Westinghouse is just beginning a master planning process that will include setting up standards for City park arboreta that can then be used universally. This will include signage. However, I believe the City is also working on criteria of what parks may be eligible to become arboretums.

Matthew Erb
Senior Director of Science, Policy, and Planning

412-781-TREE (8733) x202

This e-mail and any of its attachments may contain Tree Pittsburgh
proprietary information, which is privileged,
confidential, or subject to copyright belonging to Tree Pittsburgh.
This e-mail is intended solely for the use of the individual or
entity to which it is addressed.  If you are not the intended
recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified that any
dissemination, distribution, copying, or action taken in relation
to the contents of and attachments to this e-mail is strictly
prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you have received this e-mail
in error, please notify the sender immediately and permanently
delete the original and any copy of this e-mail and any printout.
Thank You.

Christine Brill

May 31, 2022, 11:28:27 AM5/31/22
to Lawrenceville Tree Tenders Google Groups
Matt, that's really interesting! That makes sense because there's more space for specimen trees at Mellon and Westinghouse. They are flatter and more expansive, spatially.

Is the City also thinking about modest tree ID signage for trees in city parks that aren't arboreta? For educational purposes... with Arsenal Park so close to Arsenal Schools, it seems like a good resource immediately re: environmental science curricula, etc.

--
Christine Brill
412.443.4210

Principal
Studio for Spatial Practice
A Woman's Business Enterprise (WBE)

Matt Erb

May 31, 2022, 2:07:19 PM5/31/22
to lawrenceville...@googlegroups.com
Great question, I would say that it will most likely depend on funding for the signs and for their maintenance.

Ceoffe, Lisa

Jun 2, 2022, 7:21:47 AM6/2/22
to Lawrenceville Tree Tenders Google Groups
So pretty.. Lisa

Lisa Ceoffe, City Forester

6520 Stanton Ave.

Pittsburgh, PA 15206