Poison Hemlock

Burdett, Ray G

May 13, 2020, 7:09:00 PM5/13/20
to lawrenceville...@googlegroups.com
Mary Jo and I were weeding today at the Tree Park on Keystone and Stanton, and we removed this plant, which we believe is poison hemlock - highly poisonous if eaten, and can cause a rash.

Ray Burdett, Mary Jo Geyer

IMG_2903.jpg
ATT00001.txt

Christine Brill

May 14, 2020, 6:55:58 AM5/14/20
to Lawrenceville Tree Tenders Google Groups
Ray, did you see the plant throughout or just in a couple patches that you (hopefully!) were able to remove? That does look like Poison Hemlock. Did you take any particular precautions when removing it? Or just wear gloves, etc?

Thank you for weeding!

I will try to get over to do some weeding later today, likely in the early evening.

On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 7:09 PM Burdett, Ray G <r...@pitt.edu> wrote:
Mary Jo and I were weeding today at the Tree Park on Keystone and Stanton, and we removed this plant, which we believe is poison hemlock - highly poisonous if eaten, and can cause a rash.

Ray Burdett, Mary Jo Geyer

Christine Brill, AIA
412.443.4210

Principal
Studio for Spatial Practice
A Woman's Business Enterprise (WBE)

Mary Jo Geyer

May 14, 2020, 7:39:20 AM5/14/20
to lawrenceville...@googlegroups.com
Hi Christine, MJ here
It was definitely Poison Hemlock - it was only in one place as of now.  We worked in the beds along the sidewalk on Stanton and removed larger weeds from interior beds.  We both had long-sleeved shirts & long pants on and waited to remove it until we had all of our tools and other items stored before touching it.  Gloves were made with all rubber fingers and woven stretch backs.  The dead plant is in the bag closest to the pole on the top of the waste materials.  We had no ill effects from removing the plant with a hand mattock.
We didn’t search the entire park for more, but saw no other large examples.
Came home and washed clothes and gloves!

We are still working on the curbside on Stanton.

May try to finish before Saturday if the weather holds.

Sent from my iPad

Maeve Rafferty

May 14, 2020, 9:19:27 AM5/14/20
to lawrenceville...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Mary Jo and Ray!

I took a picture of that plant on Tuesday thinking it might be poison hemlock.  Narrowed it down to hemlock parsley or poison hemlock but was planning to yank it out anyway.  Good eyes!

I'm going to try to get down there today for a little while if the weather is ok after lunch and keep working on the Keystone side.

Maeve

Ceoffe, Lisa

May 14, 2020, 9:24:05 AM5/14/20
to lawrenceville...@googlegroups.com
Mauve, hope your doing well, can you please give me a quick call? 412-670=5072