LV Tree Tenders | May 7, 6:00 Zoom Call

Christine Brill

Apr 28, 2020, 11:58:26 AM4/28/20
to Lawrenceville Tree Tenders Google Groups

Hi Tree Tenders!

I hope this email finds you well and healthy, all things considered.

Can we meet via Zoom in May? The regularly scheduled day/time would be:
Thursday, May 7th at 6:00 PM.
Let me know who could be available and I'll coordinate to get the Zoom meeting set up.

Here's a link to the Meeting Notes that Dave Breingan prepared for our last meeting in March. It seems like a year ago! It might be interesting to you to see what we were talking about before Covid hit.

In my daily dog and child walks through Lawrenceville, I have started to think about future tree plantings in the neighborhood... wondering if Fall 2020 tree plantings will happen, as scheduled. I am also revisiting the maps that my office developed for the Butler Streetscape and I'm working to both update and clarify the number of trees - and potential locations - that could possibly be planted this fall or maybe spring 2021. At least in Lower Lawrenceville, many trees were planted recently (a good thing!) so our maps are already outdated (!!!)) and more empty tree pits have been created adjacent to St. Augustine's new building addition. I'll make my way down Butler Street later this week and next and can share findings when we talk next week.

Another important item we started to talk about is how we could maybe develop an interactive map app where we could assess and track the suitability of future street tree planting sites. I don't want to reinvent the wheel with tree mapping in Pittsburgh, but we need something that we can directly add information to.

I have a few questions and maybe someone on this group has answers:
1. Who is maintaining this map and database? it's a good map (nice overlay onto Google Maps I think?) but you can't zoom in close enough at locations where there are dense tree plantings, such as Doughboy Square. It's also very slow to load and the search function doesn't load for me. I would be interested in talking with whoever makes this map happen but there's not "contact" information.
2. Philly's Open Tree Map is pretty nice! And there's a tab where you can request to add a tree. I like that there's some interactivity there... You can also REALLY zoom in to see every tree site location, parks included.
3. This Three Rivers Wet Weather Open Data Portal is interesting. It was set up by CivicMapper, a Pittsburgh-based company. I like that you can zoom way in and that the data is point- rather than parcel-based, since there are situations where many trees could be associated with a single parcel. I also like that the map is overlaid onto what I think is GoogleMaps (maybe not) making it feel familiar.

Has anyone encountered anything promising that we can use or emulate? I talked with Ariam at Grounded and she said that the Loveland app platform they use for vacant property assessment (Dave and Lauren had experience with this, I believe?) is parcel-based, so it wouldn't work well for what we need to do. It's also $10k for a subscription.... Please send thoughts if you have any.

Feel free to respond to all and start a tree conversation. You can tune out if more pressing issues are at hand, but it would be so nice to hear from all of you! Life will go on...

All the best,
Christine B.

Burdett, Ray G

Apr 28, 2020, 9:22:53 PM4/28/20
to lawrenceville...@googlegroups.com
Christine,

I would like to be on the Zoom call.

Ray Burdett

Sent from my iPad

Jesse Perkins

Apr 28, 2020, 11:18:47 PM4/28/20
to lawrenceville...@googlegroups.com
Hi Christine,

Thanks for organizing this!

I just put the zoom call in my calendar for next thursday, I’ll review the details of your email prior to then.

Hope you and your whole family are staying safe and sane!

- Jesse

On Apr 28, 2020, at 9:22 PM, Burdett, Ray G <r...@pitt.edu> wrote:

 Christine,

Maeve Rafferty

Apr 29, 2020, 7:17:12 AM4/29/20
to lawrenceville...@googlegroups.com
Hi Christine,

I can be at the Zoom meeting. Good to hear from you.

Matt Erb

May 6, 2020, 10:46:57 AM5/6/20
to lawrenceville...@googlegroups.com
Christine,

Please add me to the zoom invite.

Best,
Matt

Matthew Erb
Director of Urban Forestry
Tree Pittsburgh

412.781.TREE (8733) x202

32 62nd Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15201

This e-mail and any of its attachments may contain Tree Pittsburgh
proprietary information, which is privileged,
confidential, or subject to copyright belonging to Tree Pittsburgh.
This e-mail is intended solely for the use of the individual or
entity to which it is addressed.  If you are not the intended
recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified that any
dissemination, distribution, copying, or action taken in relation
to the contents of and attachments to this e-mail is strictly
prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you have received this e-mail
in error, please notify the sender immediately and permanently
delete the original and any copy of this e-mail and any printout.
Thank You.