Why are variance estimates different between "Estimate" and "Std.lv" when "std.lv = TRUE" was used?

Tetsuhiro Yamada

Apr 8, 2019, 7:04:08 PM4/8/19
to lavaan
I apologize if this has been answered before; please point me to the relevant thread if this is the case.

I am running an SEM model with three latent factors as follows:
'sql =~ sql1r+sql2r+sql3r+sql4r+sql5+sql6
scpos =~ slpc_prc1+slpc_prc2+slpc_prc3+slpc_prc4
slpmot =~ slpmot1+slpmot2+slpmot3+slpmot4+slpmot5
sql ~ slpmot
slpmot ~ scpos'

The estimates look like what I would expect, except in the estimated variances of the latent factors sql and slpmot, the "Estimate" is 1 for both while "Std.lv" are .844 and .939, respectively.
My understanding is that std.lv = TRUE fixes the latent factor variance to 1, so shouldn't "Estimate" and "Std.lv" both be 1?
If not, please help me understand why this might happen.

Jeremy Miles

Apr 8, 2019, 7:13:49 PM4/8/19
to lav...@googlegroups.com
sql and slpmot are endorgenous, so the variance is the residual variance.

Tetsuhiro Yamada

Apr 9, 2019, 11:44:10 AM4/9/19
to lav...@googlegroups.com
Hello Jeremy,

Thank you for the clarification.
That makes total sense; I forgot to take into account that some latent factors are being predicted by other factors in my model.

--
Tetsuhiro Yamada
Doctoral Candidate