Control variables in SEM

katja.si...@gmail.com

Sep 6, 2018, 12:56:44 AM9/6/18
to lavaan
Hi!

I  am working on a SEM model. I would like to add a set of control variables to each path. Could you give me an example of a correct syntax for this?
For example should control variables be added to the corresponding equations only or should they be declared as exogenous variables (ksis)?

Thank you!

Edward Rigdon

Sep 8, 2018, 8:47:54 AM9/8/18
to lav...@googlegroups.com
If you include a variable in regression equations, but the variable is not dependent on any other variable in the model, then it is a control variable (whether observed variable or common factor), then it is taken to be an exogenous control variable. The question is  whether or not the variable is subject to random sampling error. That is, is it "fixed" (so that the "fixed.x=TRUE" would be correct) or is it sampled (in which case the fixed.x specification would be incorrect)?