Latent growth curve model with individually varying time points

Isabelle Hansson

Sep 12, 2018, 9:30:36 AM9/12/18
to lavaan
Is it possible to estimate growth curves with individually varying time points (e.g., time to event instead of time in study) in lavaan? And if so, how would I go about to specify this model?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Isabelle Hansson

Department of Psychology
University of Gothenburg
Gothenburg, Sweden

Terrence Jorgensen

Sep 12, 2018, 6:01:04 PM9/12/18
to lavaan
Is it possible to estimate growth curves with individually varying time points (e.g., time to event instead of time in study) in lavaan?

No.  I don't think there is a straight-forward way to incorporate this idea into parameter table that lavaan uses to represent its models (?lavaanify output).  If you are comfortable editing a JAGS or Stan syntax file, you could specify the basic growth model (with loadings fixed according to the number of waves) using the blavaan package, and save the JAGS or Stan syntax file. Then you can edit that to replace the constant loadings with person-specific specific loadings stored as additional variables in your data.

Terrence D. Jorgensen
Postdoctoral Researcher, Methods and Statistics

Isabelle Hansson

Sep 14, 2018, 5:57:04 AM9/14/18
to lavaan
Dear Dr. Jorgensen,

Thank you for your quick and helpful response. I will look into this in more detail.

Best regards,
Isabelle

Jack Bailey

Sep 23, 2018, 4:53:36 AM9/23/18
to lavaan
Hi Isabelle,

You can do this is OpenMX using definition variables. There's a good example in this book.

Isabelle Hansson

Sep 25, 2018, 11:12:53 AM9/25/18
to lavaan
Thanks for the advice Jack!