Controlling for other variables in a CFA

Alex Hodgkiss

Aug 1, 2018, 3:18:25 AM8/1/18
to lavaan
Hi,

I'm running a CFA using five spatial ability measures as observed variables, loading onto a single factor. I also have a measure of verbal ability which I want to use as a proxy for general ability. In another similar paper I read, they referred to specifying models using the residualised covariance matrix after partialling out vocabulary. I ran this as a MIMIC model, with the factor regressed onto the verbal measure ( Factor ~ verbal), but this doesn't seem to adjust the factor loadings a great deal. Do I need to regress the individual spatial tasks separately onto the verbal measure within the model, in order to partial out the variance and/ or is this possible? Or is there another approach?

Many thanks
Alex

Terrence Jorgensen

Aug 1, 2018, 4:51:04 AM8/1/18
to lavaan
A residualized covariance matrix implies that the observed variables (not common factors) were regressed on the covariates.  When you do this, you should get what you want.  I would also set conditional.x = TRUE, so that the effects of covariates are partialed out before fitting the model, as you intend.

Terrence D. Jorgensen
Postdoctoral Researcher, Methods and Statistics

Alex Hodgkiss

Aug 1, 2018, 5:55:37 AM8/1/18
to lavaan
Great. Many thanks!