CFI changes with " test - mean.var.adjusted " included (CFA with categorical data, estimator = "WLSMV")

Christopher Runyon

Jun 17, 2020, 10:54:21 AM6/17/20
to lavaan
Hi Group,

I have a 2-factor model with 8 items loading onto each factor, and the response scale ranges from 0-3 for each item. According to what I know, I should be using estimator = "WLSMV" and test = "mean.var.adjusted" due to the fact that my data is categorical (e.g., Finney and DiStefano, 2006).

When using the above syntax, the CFI is much lower than the TLI:

User Model versus Baseline Model:

  Comparative Fit Index (CFI)                    0.970       0.552

  Tucker-Lewis Index (TLI)                       0.965       0.915

When I omit test = "mean.var.adjusted", the CFI / TLI values are closer to one another, and the CFI is higher than the TLI (as I thought should always be the case):

User Model versus Baseline Model:

  Comparative Fit Index (CFI)                    0.970       0.819

  Tucker-Lewis Index (TLI)                       0.965       0.789

Can someone help me with what's happening here? Is it due to the scaling correction factor, shift parameter, or something else? Which test statistic should I use / report? Or, more broadly, please correct me if I'm using the wrong estimator and/or test for my categorical data.

I noticed the following "bug" reported in Version 0.5-21, so it may be related to that:

"Bugs/glitches discovered after the release:
  • the (new) robust CFI/TLI/RMSEA values as printed in the summary() output of version 0.5-21 (only) are wrong if (and only if) the test statistic is “mean.var.adjusted” or “scaled.shifted” (the latter is used when estimator = “WLSMV”, the default estimator in the categorical case)"

Thank you all for your help.

Edward Rigdon

Jun 17, 2020, 3:03:47 PM6/17/20
to lav...@googlegroups.com
I can only answer part of this. TLI is not normed, so it can vary outside the 0-1 range. Thus, TLI can be larger than CFI, which *is* confined to 0-1. I believe TLI will be > 1 whenever chi-square < its degrees of freedom.

In other circumstances, strange behaviour of fit indices is tied to changes in how the mean vector is treated in the baseline model. I wonder if that is the case here. Perhaps you can ask for more information about the baseline model that lavaan is running?

Terrence Jorgensen

Jun 18, 2020, 4:40:19 AM6/18/20
to lavaan
According to what I know, I should be using estimator = "WLSMV" and test = "mean.var.adjusted" due to the fact that my data is categorical (e.g., Finney and DiStefano, 2006).

That's a dated reference, published around the time that Mplus implemented a more efficient robust test ("scaled.shifted"), which has been their default for years, as well as lavaan's.

I noticed the following "bug" reported in Version 0.5-21, so it may be related to that:

"Bugs/glitches discovered after the release:
  • the (new) robust CFI/TLI/RMSEA values as printed in the summary() output of version 0.5-21 (only) are wrong if (and only if) the test statistic is “mean.var.adjusted” or “scaled.shifted” (the latter is used when estimator = “WLSMV”, the default estimator in the categorical case)"

No, it has nothing to do with that.

Terrence D. Jorgensen
Assistant Professor, Methods and Statistics

Christopher Runyon

Jun 18, 2020, 10:24:35 AM6/18/20
to lavaan
Great! Thank you so much for your help. I'm glad to know that this was just a user error on my end, and I will update my references and analyses to use the "scaled.shifted" test.