A naive question...

Justine Fraize

Jul 1, 2019, 6:30:22 AM7/1/19
to lavaan
Dear users,

we're interested in a strutural model where variables are better related after logarithmic transformation.

Our modeling would look like:

###
lX <- log10(X)
lY <- log10(Y)
lZ <- log10(Z)
dat<-data.frame(lX,lY,lZ)

T_Model_Regression <- 'T =~ NA*lX + lY + lZ
T ~~ 1*T'

fit_T_Model<- cfa(T_Model_Regression, data=dat)
###

We wonder wether the latent variable T will eventually correpond to (logX + logY + logZ) or to log(X+Y+Z), which changes the interpretation of the loadings...

Terrence Jorgensen

Jul 2, 2019, 4:14:02 AM7/2/19
to lavaan
we're interested in a strutural model where variables are better related after logarithmic transformation.

That sounds like dubious data-driven reasoning.  Is there a theory behind why a factor has a log-linear relationship with its indicators, instead of a linear one?

We wonder wether the latent variable T will eventually correpond to (logX + logY + logZ) or to log(X+Y+Z)

Neither.  Summing indicators implies a formative construct.  Your model implies a reflective construct.

which changes the interpretation of the loadings...

The loadings are now linear regression slopes on the transformed outcomes.  So when the factor T increases by 1 unit (here, 1 SD), a log10-transformed indicator's expected value increases by its factor loading.  Like any log-linear model, you can transform that loading/slope by exponentiating out the log (so here, raise 10 to the power of the loading) in order to interpret how the expected value of the original variable changes as a function of T.  But your SEs and tests only apply to the log10 scale because that is how the parameters were estimated.

Terrence D. Jorgensen
Assistant Professor, Methods and Statistics