partialInvarianceCat() error for non-congeneric models

christophe...@nicholls.edu

Jul 11, 2018, 6:11:27 PM7/11/18
to lavaan
I'm looking for advice in resolving an error message that I've received.

Briefly, I've been trying to resolve a measurement non-invariance issue. Specifically, one of my measures seems to fail metric invariance and I'm trying to use the partialInvarianceCat() function. The error message that I receive is below:

Error in partialInvarianceCat(mi, type = "metric") :
  The model is not congeneric. This function does not support non-congeneric model.

My model is below:
mi.model <- '
#For each factor, the factor loading of one marker variable is fixed (usually as 1). Other factor loadings are freely estimated across groups.
##Method factors
CM =~ CM1 + CM2 + CM3 + CM4 + CM5 + CM6 + CM7 + CM8
PA =~ PA1 + PA2 + PA3 + PA4 + PA5 + PA6 + PA7 + PA8 + PA9 + PA10
Na =~ NA1 + NA2 + NA3 + NA4 + NA5 + NA6 + NA7 + NA8 + NA9 + NA10 + CM7 + CM8
AP =~ PA1 + PA2 + PA3 + PA4 + PA5 + PA6 + PA7 + PA8 + PA9 + PA10 + NA1 + NA2 + NA3 + NA4 + NA5 + NA6 + NA7 + NA8 + NA9 + NA10
#Synonyms and Antonyms
CM1~~CM2
CM3~~CM4
CM5~~CM6
CM7~~CM8
#Bifactors freely estimated
PA ~~ 0*Na
PA ~~ 0*AP
Na ~~ 0*AP
'

Do you have any advice or guidance to offer? I can provide more information if needed.

Chris

Edward Rigdon

Jul 11, 2018, 6:36:53 PM7/11/18
to lav...@googlegroups.com
"Not congeneric"--you have items that load on multiple factors. That makes your model not congeneric.

Christopher Castille

Jul 11, 2018, 6:38:45 PM7/11/18
to lav...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your response, Ed. I’m aware that multiple factor loadings makes my model non-congeneric. I’m just not sure how to deal with this issue.

Terrence Jorgensen

Jul 15, 2018, 7:32:39 AM7/15/18
to lavaan
I’m just not sure how to deal with this issue.

Again, these automation functions were only designed for the simplest cases. I'm eventually going to generalize the whole process, but it will take a while to finish coding it up.  In the meantime, you will just have to fit the models manually to test each item by freeing its loading to test whether that model fits as well as the configural model.

Terrence D. Jorgensen
Postdoctoral Researcher, Methods and Statistics