When is the cluster argument needed?

Amonet

Aug 17, 2018, 5:27:31 AM8/17/18
to lavaan
Hi all,

Is it needed to use the cluster argument when building CFA models?
Today I realized I never did this, while my dataset consists of 120+ individuals, measured over 4 time points.
Should I define cluster = 'individuals' in the CFA() or Lavaan() function?

Or is this cluster argument only useful for multilevel models that is currently not yet fully supported by Lavaan?

You'll be a life saver if you help me out here :) since I have a deadline already next week.

Thanks,
Amonet

Jeremy Miles

Aug 17, 2018, 4:38:11 PM8/17/18
to lavaan

How are you analyzing the data? If the data are wide -as in, you identify time through the variable labels you don't need the cluster command.

If the data are long (i.e. you have a variable called (something like) time, you need to take into account that you have repeated observations of the same people. However you only have 4 observations, which is not many.

(I would probably treat the data as wide, unless you have a large number of variables.)

Jeremy

Amonet

Aug 18, 2018, 3:11:56 AM8/18/18
to lavaan
Dear Jeremy,

Thank you for clearing it up for me!
My data is in wide format, so I am glad I can continue as it is.

Kind regards,