How to calculate the significance of latent variables with lavaan ?

Matt

Jul 3, 2019, 10:30:38 PM7/3/19
to lavaan
Hi,

I am trying to figure out a way to calculate the significance of the factors correlations using lavaan in R 3.5.3.
Could anybody help me with this topic ?
For example. I have a F1 =~ X1 + X2 + X3; and F2=~ X4+ X5 + X6; How can I corr(F1,F2) for significance ?

Best Regards
Matt

Terrence Jorgensen

Jul 5, 2019, 1:25:30 PM7/5/19
to lavaan
I am trying to figure out a way to calculate the significance of the factors correlations using lavaan in R 3.5.3.

If the factor covariance is a model parameter, just look in the summary() output.  If your null hypothesis is 0, that implies the covariance == 0, so it does not need to be standardized to test that hypothesis.

If your factors are not exogenous (they have predictors), then the summary() only provides a test of the residual covariance.

Terrence D. Jorgensen
Assistant Professor, Methods and Statistics

Matheus Raszl

Jul 5, 2019, 7:02:48 PM7/5/19
to lav...@googlegroups.com
Dear Terance,

Thanks for your reply.
I've tried your suggestion but I cannot see on the regression relation between the latent variables (PE,BI and SI) the pvalue of the significance of this relationship.
I am using summary(UNI_LV, standardized=TRUE), but we can see for example the correlation between PE ~ BI is 0.755 , but how can I disply the pvalue for it ?

Regressions:
                   Estimate  Std.Err  z-value  P(>|z|)   Std.lv  Std.all
  PE ~
    BI                0.917    0.043   21.532    0.000    0.755    0.755
  SI ~
    BI                0.794    0.039   20.113    0.000    0.675    0.675

Best Regards
Matt

Terrence Jorgensen

Jul 6, 2019, 5:19:38 AM7/6/19
to lavaan
I cannot see ... the pvalue

It is the column "P(>|z|)"  (the probability of a more extreme z statistic)

for example the correlation between PE ~ BI is 0.755

only in the case of a simple regression slope is the standardized slope equal to the bivariate correlation.

Matheus Raszl

Jul 6, 2019, 8:26:56 AM7/6/19
to lav...@googlegroups.com
I cannot see ... the pvalue

It is the column "P(>|z|)"  (the probability of a more extreme z statistic)

But how could I see the p value in a more classical way ? Or at least find this variable and calculate by myself ? For example, p < 0.05 * , p < 0.01 **, p < 0.001 ***

for example the correlation between PE ~ BI is 0.755

only in the case of a simple regression slope is the standardized slope equal to the bivariate correlation.

So, what lavaan is showing me when I force the path between two latent variables? Covariance or Correlation  ? I am sure this is not a loading.

Thanks in advance.
Matt

Yves Rosseel

Jul 8, 2019, 6:50:57 AM7/8/19
to lav...@googlegroups.com
On 7/6/19 2:26 PM, Matheus Raszl wrote:
> But how could I see the p value in a more classical way ? Or at least
> find this variable and calculate by myself ? For example, p < 0.05 * , p
> < 0.01 **, p < 0.001 ***

If the z-statistic is, say 21.532, then the p-value is computed as

z <- 21.532
pvalue <- 2 * (1 - pnorm(abs(z)))
pvalue

which will be (as good as) zero.

> So, what lavaan is showing me when I force the path between two latent
> variables?

The "~" operator defines a regression. The value in the 'Estimate'
column is a regression coefficient.

The "~~" operator defines a covariance.

To see the value of a correlation, you need the "~~" operator, in
combination with summary(, standardized = TRUE).

To see the p-value for this correlation, you need the
standardizedSolution() function.

Yves.