Why does cor(lavPredict(fit)) differ from lavInspect(fit,"cor.lv")?

Max Wilckens

Jul 15, 2019, 5:47:40 AM7/15/19
to lavaan
Dear all,

I'm currently running CFA on a hierarchical model, and I'm slowly getting used to lavaan. The model is as follows:

model <- '
f1 =~ x1 + x2 + x3
f2 =~ y1 + y2 + y3
f3 =~ z1 + z2 + z3
f4 =~ a1 + a2 + a3 + a4
f5 =~ b1 + b2 + b3
f6 =~ c1 + c2 + c3
d1 =~ f1 + f2 + f3
d2 =~ f4 + f5 + f6
'
fit <- cfa(model, data)

The model is fitted successfully and I'm trying to extract the lv correlation matrix, in order to check for discriminant validity by comparing the intra-construct correlation with the average variance extracted (EVA).
I thought the lavaan way to extract correlation is:

lavInspect(fit,"cor.lv")

However, I do not understand, why cor(lavPredict(fit)) results in something different?

I would really appreciate any support to overcome by confusion!

Many thanks
Max

PD

Jul 15, 2019, 5:53:00 AM7/15/19
to lavaan

lavInspect(fit,"cor.lv") produces the model-implied correlation matrix of the latent variables. Predict gives factor scores so cor(lavPredict(fit)) gives the correlation between factor scores that are proxies of the latent variables.